Lunatic's 1st Round Mock

StLunatic88

• 2018 NFL Draft - Round 1
    • TRADE: CLE sends #1+#150 to NYG for #2+#69+#139
  1. NYG* - Sam Darnold QB USC
    • Darnolds is the only QB that the Giants want up top, this way they get him and do the smart thing, and plan for the next 10 years, not just the next 16 - 30 (maybe) games with Eli. Giving up the extra 3rd they have is nothing to secure the future of your franchise. Many point to their offseason as "win now" mode, but why cant they do both? A cheap QB will be vital in order to pay OBJ.
  2. CLE* - Josh Allen QB Wyoming
    • Allen is their guy, and they make a smart move without just "passing" on Darnold for nothing. Its a small move, but it is a shrewd one. Allen doesnt have to start now with Tyrod there, but with the rest of their Top 100 Picks from the past 3 years, they are building a team who wont be at the very top of the draft each year, so they finally grab their QB on the way out of the cellar.
  3. NYJ* - Josh Rosen QB UCLA
    • The Jets traded up to here blindly, knowing their guy would be there. We've all deduced that means either Baker or Rosen, and to me Rosen just fits better with this team. He is the best passer in this draft right now, and the Jets have been gearing up for that. Most of the Red Flags on Rosen are overblown, and are just the result of a new age prospect that the old boys havent caught up with.
  4. CLE* - Bradley Chubb EDGE North Carolina St
    • This luxury pick for the Browns is going to end up being one of the best prospects in the draft due to the QB needs up top. Chubb, Nelson or Barkley would all be good picks here, but building up that Defense makes the most sense with the rest of their moves this offseason. Chubb can slide right in day one, and be a reliable impact guy.
    • TRADE: DEN sends #5 +#149 to BUF for #12+#22+#65
  5. BUF* - Baker Mayfileld QB OKlahoma
    • Some may make the same argument for the Broncos as I did the Giants, that they need to get a QB being this high, but Baker and Darnold arent in the same class, so trade out it is. But the Bills on the other hand are pretty desperate to get that guy. With their extra picks, its time to cash in those chips for a Franchise QB. Baker & Bills Mafia, a match made in football heaven.
    • TRADE: IND sends #6+#140 to MIA for #11+#72+123+2019 3rd
  6. MIA* - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St
    • Not many would have expected to see Saquon outside of the Top 5 a few weeks ago, but now there seems to be a good chance of it. He needs to go somewhere that will commit to him as the center of the Offense, Indy is not that place, but Miami with Tannehill as their QB seems like a better fit. After what has seemed like a dismal offseason in Miami, they end up with the Draft Darling
  7. TB - Derwin James DB FLorida St
    • This has seemed to be the Lock of the Top 10 for awhile now. In the past few days we have seen other rumblings, but honestly when there has been this much smoke, for this long, there has to be a fire right? I have James, Ward and Fitzpatrick in their own little group around the Top 10, and its mostly just pick your preference to me. James seems to be the Bucs preference.
  8. CHI - Quinten Nelson OL Notre Dame
    • Wow, the Bears are living right, just hang out, let the best player in the draft fall right into your lap, and dont think twice about it. Nelson is an absolute freak, massive man, super athlete, and just the prototype for todays Lineman. Had he been a LT he would have probably been a Lock for #1 overall, but even being a Guard shouldnt have dropped this far, Congrats Bears fans.
    • TRADE: SF sends #9 IND for #11+#104+#131(MIA)
  9. IND* - Roquon Smith LB Georgia
    • Small move for the Colts to ensure they get the guy they intended on the trade down. Both OAK and SF have been linked to Roquon, so they jump back over OAK who is the real threat. Its good to see that even with all the Luck worry going on, that the Colts realize they need to fix the Defense even more than anything on offense. Build up the D, get Luck back, and with one more draft they should be contending again.
  10. OAK - Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama
    • No OTs here. Every time I do these, I always come back to Minkah for the Raiders. He just fits too well for me. When Talent, Need and Personality fits so well together, its hard not to see this happening. Helping out an abysmal secondary, Fitz can be whatever they need him to be. Not sure I understand the Roquon love for them, just feels like there is better talent at bigger needs for them in the Top 10.
  11. SF* - Harold Landry EDGE Boston College
    • This is a fit I saw come together a while ago, and while plenty of other rumors have swirled (Roquon/McGlinchey) none of them make as much sense as Landry. Assuming you feel good about his medical, he should be a Top 12-15 talent on your board. While some may be a bit surprised by this pick, you really shouldnt be. He is the for sure the second best rusher, and closer to Chubb than many realize.
  12. DEN* - Trumaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
    • With the move down, its time to start amassing the falling talent. Biggest need here? Probably not, but Edmunds is a Top 10 talent who will produce right away and will only get better. The size/speed/athleticism is so impressive, but I think his instincts are better than most give him credit for. Its hard to put him into a box, but he is just a flat out playmaker.
  13. WAS - Denzel Ward DB Ohio St
    • Another guy who just always seems to end up in this same draft slot no matter how I shake up the top picks. I actually like Ward more than the other top DBs, and I think the Skins are getting a steal here. Some worry about his strength, that it will limited him to an Inside CB, but in todays NFL they are even more important than ever. He slides due to the QBs, but he is a Top 10 Talent to me.
    • TRADE: GB sends #14 to DAL for #19+#81+#137
  14. DAL* - Vita Vea NT Washington
    • The last of the Top talent stops his tumble right here. For awhile I thought LVE was a lock to the Cowboys, but if Vea slips enough, and it doenst cost them an arm and a leg to go get him, that is a much better investment. Adding a dynamic talent like Vea to that Defense, with some of the other young talent, will have a large boost to the run and the pass D. GB is taking a calculated risk, lets see if it pays off.
  15. ARZ - Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
    • Arizona's patience is rewarded. They dont have the ammo to go up without really decimating future drafts, but Jackson fall right to them. Thankfully the other QBs force the top talent down far enough that no one wants to drop back into the 20s on a Trade. Jackson has explosive talent, but he needs some work as well. I like him, but many started to over-hype as soon as BB stared looking at him. Cardinals to Cardinals, pure poetry.
  16. BAL - D.J. Moore WR Maryland
    • Another line of draft poetry, seems almost a bit cliche that he would end up on the Ravens, but the match makes sense. Sure they've added guys this offseason, but none of them are long term assets or even guys who you have to hold a roster spot for. I still prefer Ridley, as the tactical type at WR, but I see the allure and potential of Moore. And lets be honest, Flacco needs as many weapons as he can get to keep that Contract from sinking the franchise
  17. LAC - Da'Ronn  Payne DL Alabama
    • Alot of talk about LBs and what no with this pick, and while sure that could be, it seems Corey Liuget really put them in a pickle (plus Im not sure he is around that much longer anyway; Production =/= Compensation) But Payne is a very versatile guy who you dont ever have to worry about his effort, and should be an immediate impact guy no matter the Defensive scheme he is put into. Possibly my favorite prospect 
  18. SEA - Will Hernandez OL UTEP
    • I dont know if Im just too high on Hernandez, or if I have just been trying to mock a good OL to the Seahawks for too long, but this is an immediate upgrade, and would hep solidify that line, and especially help keep Russell healthy as they rebuild on the fly. I could see one of the other available OL here (Wynn/McGlinchey) but I just think there is something special about the nastiness Hernandez brings.
  19. GB* - Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA
    • The gamble pays off! as soon as Landry comes off the board in front of them (unexpectedly for some) the packers are looking like crazy to move down. Davenport is the next pass rusher, but doesn't need to be taken that high, so dropping down to mitigate some risks is a great move. His measurables are saliva inducing, and I think learning and just being a situational guy for a year or so is what could make him great off the edge.
    • TRADE: DET sends #20 to TEN for #25+#89
  20. TEN* - Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St
    • LVE is the new breed of LB, and I love everything I see on tape. His instincts are most impressive, and his closing speed is almost confusing for a guy his size. All of that and he is still growing/learning. As a true 3 down LB, I dont know how he falls to #20, the medical really must be a concern. But the Titans need an infusion to a very unimpressive Defense, so they take the chance to go up and get their guy.
  21. CIN* - Isaiah Wynn OL Georgia
    • If anyone knows how important Offensive Lineman are, its the Bengals after last year. That line got picked apart in Free Agency, and it was VERY noticeable. So wherever they pick, I would almost guarantee its a Lineman. And Wynn is a good one to grab, the skills of an OT in the body of a Guard. His versatility is so valuable (I think he will be best as a Center) but he could be Prow Bowl level at 3 positions for sure, possibly at a 4th.
  22. DEN* - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
    • Until I started looking at this pick, I didnt realize how OLD and EXPENSIVE the Weapons for the Broncos are. After the Trade Down, Elway just starts gathering the most valuable talent available. To me Ridley is Reggie Wayne, and they will need a younger and reliable Weapon once they finally grab their Franchise QB in the next couple of years as, who can also be valuable right now. Getting Keenum more weapons inst a bad thing.
  23. NE* - Mike McGlinchey OL Notre Dame
    • After no one will trade back with them (to pick up Lamar) BB just sits back and lets the talent fall to him. So may have soured on McGlinchey, and it seems to be more from over-exposure than anything. I still see a very solid Lineman, who can start day one at most of the OL spots. I even think he could slide in at LT immediately with a little bit of coaching. but it would be better for him to start as a Guard and then grow into a Tackle.
    • TRADE: CAR sends #24 to JAX for #29+#93
  24. JAX* - Dallas Goedertt TE South Dakota St
    • The Jags dont have a ton to adress in this draft, so they jump at the chance to address one of the biggest holes they do have. The Panthers are eyeing up a particular guy and can get him later. But grabbing the best weapon left is a great move for Jacksonville, and the Jump is needed due to the next 3 offenses lined up that could all use a game changing TE. Much like the Ravens, I know they got ASJ, but are you really going to rely on him?
  25. DET* - Darruis Guice RB LSU
    • Seriously Lions, its time to give Stafford a Run game. After dropping back and grabbing some more picks, they finally do so. Honestly, when comparing Guice and Barkely by talent, they arent separated by all that much. But the two biggest things that separate them are the medical (which Guice has seemed to pass now) and whispers of character concerns. He is still worth the risk down here, and in this offense . . . ROY potential.
  26. ATL - Taven Bryan DL Florida
    • I have had this pick linked forever now. It seems like it is a favorite in mocks, and for good reason. Bryan is an Athletic monster, and can be as disruptive as anyone at times. He is still plenty raw, which is A) why he is had dropped into the 20s and B) why this pick is so exciting. Right away he will probably be the lions share of some DL rotation, and could quickly ascend to one of the top interior rushers.
  27. NO - Sam Hubbard EDGE Ohio St
    • Alot of talk about a new weapon for Brees in this first round, but honestly a more conventional and practical pick to continue the strengthening of the new look Defense in New Orleans makes more sense. I am not the biggest fan of Hubbard, he just seems like a solid guy with nothing much to get excited about, but those are needed on teams as well. He would help solidify the defense, which they cant have a regression after the leap this year.
  28. PIT - Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
    • Evans is just a tick behind LVE for me, as he does most of the same, but his ability to diagnosis plays is lacking. He uses his range and closing speed to make up for it. I actually think the Steelers would be the ones fighting with the Titans in order to make the move up for LVE. But Evans, who many have compared to the former Steeler Timmons, is a pretty good consolation prize. This doesnt completely replace Shazier, but its a start.
  29. CAR* - Frank Ragnow OL Arkansas
    • Panthers pulling off a little draft magic with this move working out for them. Its only the past few days that we have really heard people talking about Ragnow as a first rounder (a few have been on this for awhile) and it seems the best fit would be Carolina to replace Norwell. He is naturally a Center, but can play guard just as well, along with his nasty demeanor and leader mentality, thats a Lineman I can get behind.
  30. MIN - James Daniels OL Iowa
    • Another contending team that needs to solidify that offensive line (which is why we will see a run during the back 3rd of the draft), Daniels athleticism and position flexibility makes him a juicy target. He needs to get bigger/stroger to be a real difference maker in the NFL, but he would be plug an play as he is right now. Something Super Bowl contenders are looking for late in the 1st round.
  31. NE - Justin Reid DB Stanford
    • This would be the most BB pick; a smart, tough, versatile, bloodline, undervalued prospect that no one is really talking about even a few hours before the draft. He currently plays alot on pure instinct and always in top gear, learning under BB could turn him into one of the most lethal Safeties in the league. What about any of that doesnt sound like a Patriot?
    • TRADE: PHI sends #32+#169+2019 2nd to DEN for #40+#71+#106+#160
  32. DEN* - Ronald Jones III RB USC
    • Philly is trying to get out of this pick, and they are able to recoup some Top100-ish picks that can all be contributors this season, even if it is at the cost of a 2nd rounder next year. Denver has some extra picks which makes this easy, and is banking on Philly to not be as good, and maybe they get a Top 50-ish pick in 2019 out of it. As for the pick, they need an upgrade at RB too, and its unlikely they fall to #40 when day 2 starts. Pretty funny that we start and end the night with trades for a couple of Trojans.

• 3 weeks later...

ATL - Taven Bryan DL Florida

• I have had this pick linked forever now. It seems like it is a favorite in mocks, and for good reason. Bryan is an Athletic monster, and can be as disruptive as anyone at times. He is still plenty raw, which is A) why he is had dropped into the 20s and B) why this pick is so exciting. Right away he will probably be the lions share of some DL rotation, and could quickly ascend to one of the top interior rushers

Pretty much spot on for the Falcons and for the reasons listed.   You can tell when a pick is a good one it's because pretty much every mock draft has that pick as the best choice available of whats left.   It's just 1 of those it makes to much sense things not to happen.    Now watch us not even look at a DT in the entire draft and piss off every Falcon fan over the next few days LOL. 

I still say the only 2 guys who might have a very small chance to fall to us we would take over Taven would be Vea and Payne but in your draft they don't even get close so we make the smartest pick possible imo.

Archived