Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm counting 16, 17, 18, 19.

I said in my post they still have a lot of day 3 picks, but obviously your impact player hit rate is going to go down. Their draft capital for these 4 years is going to be one of the lowest in the NFL. 

Nowhere have I said they is the right or wrong strategy, all I've said is that it's different and I'm going to be interested to see how it turns out long term.

So you pick an arbitrary starting point to suit your argument?  Sorry, but that's just inappropriate.  Snead's track record shows that he is a GM who regularly makes marginal trade-backs to accumulate picks in that same draft.  So making assumptions about two drafts which have not even passed in order to pad that stats of your argument is flat out irresponsible.  Sorry, but it is.

Sorry, but when you have to resort to that much assumption to make your case, it's a weak case.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So you pick an arbitrary starting point to suit your argument?  Sorry, but that's just inappropriate.  Snead's track record shows that he is a GM who regularly makes marginal trade-backs to accumulate picks in that same draft.  So making assumptions about two drafts which have not even passed in order to pad that stats of your argument is flat out irresponsible.  Sorry, but it is.

Sorry, but when you have to resort to that much assumption to make your case, it's a weak case.

What are you talking about? There's literally no case I'm making. I didn't pick an arbitrary time, I picked the time they added Goff to now, because the Rams have gone a different route than the traditional draft and develop roster building since that addition. We've never seen a team go "all in" before the end of a QBs rookie deal before like this. Usually everything is planned around the QBs pending extension. It didn't net another SB for us, the Ravens, Seahawks so I can see why they're trying it. For like the dozenth time I'm curious to see how it plays out, that's my "weak case."

5 minutes ago, game3525 said:

That tweet is garbage. 

Peters is the only one with locker room concerns. Suh and Talib were both financial decision. 

It’s lazy reporting.  Suh and Talib aren’t great human beings.   But their level of play wasn’t the issue.   Both teams needed to invest elsewhere on the roster (although the Landry decision and then going Dola and Wilson...smh).   

Peters has serious flags.  But that’s it.   His talent and youth make it worth gambling on and if he can’t fix it then the Rams can walk away.      That’s the type of risk you want to take - not a guy you are tied to no matter what.  

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What are you talking about? There's literally no case I'm making. I didn't pick an arbitrary time, I picked the time they added Goff to now, because the Rams have gone a different route than the traditional draft and develop roster building since that addition. We've never seen a team go "all in" before the end of a QBs rookie deal before like this. Usually everything is planned around the QBs pending extension. It didn't net another SB for us, the Ravens, Seahawks so I can see why they're trying it. For like the dozenth time I'm curious to see how it plays out, that's my "weak case."

The entire situation is kind of arbitrary though.  Other than Newton and Luck there hasn't been a QB that's even reached his 5th-year option while on his rookie deal (and, as I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, for QB's going in the Top 10 that 5th-year option is basically just a cheaper franchise tag because the league rules require it be equivalent pay to the Transition tender amount from Y4 of the contract) on a team that was competitive enough to "go all-in" (I still don't see what the Rams are doing as being quite the "all-in" move that people are calling it - this was one of the youngest teams in the league last season, they weren't hurting for "young depth").

I'm not trying to vilify you; apologies if it comes off that way.  But we've seen time and time again how fans, in general, overvalue draft picks.  Now, I'll admit, I'm wary of this Bobby Beathard approach,  but there's a noticeable difference between what Snead is doing here and what Beathard was doing when he was regularly trading away premium picks for the 90's Chargers... Snead is actually getting high-end players in return, and definitely appears to have put forethought into a multi-tiered (as in 1-year, 3-year, 5-year) plan.  Worth noting too that while it's not the Day 2 pick it could have been, trades like the Watkins trade still are leaving him (albeit with a year's worth of space in between) with another Day 2 pick (the deal Watkins signed should return a 3rd round comp next year, at worst a 4th, which is still a Day 2 pick).

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Are you saying they're going to trade away their picks? Because the comp picks are for Trumaine Johnson and Sammy Watkins. They've already signed elsewhere.

oh thoooooooossssseee picks

I thought people were talking about Suh and others leaving next year

3 hours ago, game3525 said:

That tweet is garbage. 

Peters is the only one with locker room concerns. Suh and Talib were both financial decision. 

Peters is a younger version of Talib when he was in Tampa Bay. Once Talib got under Belichick and then Wade, he got better. 

Honestly we will continue to hear character concerns that can and will ruin the Rams locker room until the Rams play football games and those players shut everyone up.

Suh was cut because the Dolphins wanted to free cap space plus Suh wasn’t playing like a guy getting paid 100m. He wasn’t playing bad but he wasn’t playing like someone worth 100m. Neither did Mario Williams when he signed a massive deal to go to Buffalo. Suh chose to go LA to play next to the best defensive lineman and possible defensive player in the NFL. That way he won’t gey double teamed all the time. Sure has Suh did some dirty things, yes, but I’ve seen worst in sports. I’ve seen baseball players flip off the opposition as they round the bases after home runs. I’ve seen pitchers intentionally hit batters. Baseball has literally no contact. Nobody should be getting hit intentionally with over 100mph baseball. I’ve seen in basketball Shaq elbow someone square in the mouth and they get called for the foul. Nobody makes big deals about any character concerns for them. Nobody talks about Suh charity work, and Suh doesn’t get arrested or in trouble off the field. 

Talib was traded from the Broncos and had not the Rams traded for him after trade talks with the Pats stalled, the Broncos was going to cut him. They wanted to save money on the cap to go after Keenum or Cousins. He wanted to go to Wade where he felt comfortable. Wade wanted him because he knows what type of leader he is in the locker room and talent he is on the field. Talib best seasons came under Wade. Talib help mentor Chris Harris. No reason he can’t help mentor Peters.

Peters was traded to the Rams because the Chiefs didn’t want to invest long term in him because the owner didn’t like his antics. Passion on the field can be negative sometimes especially when you are young. I know because I don’t curse but in the spirit of competition one day one the basketball court I cursed out of frustration. That doesn’t make me a bad person, just makes me so passionate at the age of 17 it brought the worst out. Peters is still young his passion for the game sometimes has a negative effect. He will grow and get better. The owner of KC didn’t like Peters protest antics either. Plus in Kansas City the community I don’t think liked it either. On top of that Peters wasn’t a fan of the Chiefs trading Smith. He openly said so. All that factored into the Chiefs trading Peters. He doesn’t have any off the field issues, it’s just on the field his passion gets the best of him in a negative way sometimes and him being young doesn’t help but he will grow. Having Wade and Talib and now guys like Joyner and Donald will help him in the locker room. Plus LA doesn’t care about protest antics.

Anyone who thinks Cooks being traded twice something must be up. I don’t fully know why the Saints traded him away, but the Pats traded him away because they are a cheap organization who doesn’t want to pay their players. That’s not hating that’s a fact. Brady should get paid more but he isn’t. Jones should’ve gotten a pay day but they shipped him out. Same as Butler, Amendola took so many pay cuts till he got tired and left. Gronk is getting under paid for the type of player he is. So the Pats didn’t want to pay Cooks 14m at least, they didn’t want him to just walk like Butler did so they traded him to the Rams who was looking for a replacement for Watkins who walked on a 14m per year contract from the Rams for a bigger pay day from the Chiefs.

Basically what I’m saying is all this talk about Rams getting too many character concern players is way overblown. I watched The Herd today and Colin said a source told him the reason the Rams didn’t get OBJ was because they did their homework and didn’t like what the heard. The Rams are smart enough not to be reckless and take on guys that will ruin the locker room. That’s not how Snead operates and I know McVay isn’t going to put his locker room in jeopardy. Snead learned under Dimitroff over in Atlanta who help the Patriots build on their dynasty and is helping build a very good Falcons team. So again people can have all this conversation about character concerns for the Rams but when the football games are played in September all this talk will be pointless. The Rams will be fine in terms of no distraction or players ruining the Rams locker room. 

43 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Anyone who thinks Cooks being traded twice something must be up. I don’t fully know why the Saints traded him away, but the Pats traded him away because they are a cheap organization who doesn’t want to pay their players. That’s not hating that’s a fact. Brady should get paid more but he isn’t. Jones should’ve gotten a pay day but they shipped him out. Same as Butler, Amendola took so many pay cuts till he got tired and left. Gronk is getting under paid for the type of player he is. So the Pats didn’t want to pay Cooks 14m at least, they didn’t want him to just walk like Butler did so they traded him to the Rams who was looking for a replacement for Watkins who walked on a 14m per year contract from the Rams for a bigger pay day from the Chiefs.

Holy misinformation, Batman!

A) Brady takes pay cuts because he chooses to. Does he deserve more? Yeah, but he knows taking pay cuts helps the team win games. He isn’t being forced.

B) Jones was in line to get a huge pay day despite being an oft-injured, relatively unproductive player in NE. They shipped him out cheaper than most in NE would’ve liked, but he wasn’t the player he is today when he was traded. If the Patriots gave him what the Cardinals gave him at the point that he was traded, it would’ve been ludicrous. 

C) Butler has his worst year as a pro and - in one form or another - clearly didn’t jive with the coaching. But they were supposed to pay him what the Titans did? 

D) Pats were supposed to give Amendola over $6M a year despite being cap strapped this year? Sure. 

E) Gronk is getting underpaid but the guy signed a huge extension very early in his career. New England even gave him a raise through incentives. The deal he signed at the time was huge for a tight end.

F) New England is stingy, but they pay the right type of players. High character, on the younger side, productive on the field, guys. See: Devin McCourty, Stephon Gilmore, Dont’a Hightower, James White. Majority of the players that were lost/let go/traded weren’t big enough parts of the team to justify the paydays they received elsewhere. Solder is good and important, but NE couldn’t give him that contract. Lewis has a great year but is injured too often for that deal in Foxborough. And as much as I like Cooks and really wanted him to stay, he isn’t a key cog in the offense (like Gronk or Edelman) and the compensation they received in this trade is too good to pass up.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Suh + Fairley =/= Suh + Donald. C'mon.

I think his point was 2012 Suh = 2018 Donald and that 2012 fairley = 2018 Suh. Not as bad of a comparison as you make it sound. 

Archived