Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

At this point, the Washington Wizards are not a viable NBA team. They, much like my Hornets, are a practice squad for contenders in the East. The NBA has become a 5-6 team league. The regular season is unwatchable. Ted Leonsis basically used his first round pick as a marketing strategy to corner the Japanese market.........brilliant move finacailly.....at the same time admitting the team is irrelevant long term. JMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

No way it would’ve been the same — George is clearly the much better player, and more importantly is someone good enough to get Kawhi on board. Woj mentioned Jrue Holiday in the same sentence as Beal in the original article, which I think gives some insight into the way both of those guys were viewed (backup plans).

But it still would’ve been worth considering even if it wasn’t that giant haul. The Clippers had a surprisingly large number of major assets in their arsenal. 

There's a report out there that the Clippers went after Beal too for the same type of thing, so I think Kawahi was on board with Beal.

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

With Leonard gone from Toronto, I wonder if they’ll revisit the Ujiri conversations now. 

He and Kawhi evidently had a great relationship, and they would have had a shot at the repeat if Kawhi had stuck around. Now that he’s moved on, though, one would have to think that job has lost a lot of its luster. May be time for Ujiri to pivot and move on to his next step...

The Thunder are being forced to let another star player leave likely due to financial restraints (before Harden, now George).  Their owner refuses to pay the luxury tax.  I wonder if Sam Presti has gotten sick of that and could be lured away.  

15 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

At this point, the Washington Wizards are not a viable NBA team. They, much like my Hornets, are a practice squad for contenders in the East. The NBA has become a 5-6 team league. The regular season is unwatchable. Ted Leonsis basically used his first round pick as a marketing strategy to corner the Japanese market.........brilliant move finacailly.....at the same time admitting the team is irrelevant long term. JMO. 

I think it's clear what the goal is for the Wizards this year. It's to stick a lot of young players around Beal to see what sticks for next year's team when Wall comes back and for the future. 

I really like Troy Brown’s game. He's got a SF body but PG skills, if he develops a more consistent 3-pt shot he’ll be a better all-around player than Porter and Oubre bc Brown has better handles and ability to get to the rim off the bounce.

Rui is definitely a work in progress but it's not like they reached for him. He was slated to go end of the lottery, an argument could be made they could have taken a few other players above him but they were mostly SG & SF types and the Wizards have Beal and Brown. So, I understand taking a chance on a raw PF who is an extremely hard worker and should get better bc he hasn't been playing basketball his whole life, only since he was 14.

Then I love the Schofield pick, he may actually end up being a better pick than Rui. I could see him developing into a Draymond Green type player. 

I'm excited to see Wagner too. He’s not the most athletic guy but he's crafty. He's a good outside shooter for a big man too. He can be a stretch 4/5 off the bench. 

Justin Robinson really impressed last night in the first summer league game. He'll probably be on the Capitol City Go-Go this year along with a few of the other guys from this Summer League but I wish we hadn't signed Ish Smith bc I think Robinson has what it takes to be a backup PG right now.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think it's clear what the goal is for the Wizards this year. It's to stick a lot of young players around Beal to see what sticks for next year's team when Wall comes back and for the future. 

I really like Troy Brown’s game. He's got a SF body but PG skills, if he develops a more consistent 3-pt shot he’ll be a better all-around player than Porter and Oubre bc Brown has better handles and ability to get to the rim off the bounce.

Rui is definitely a work in progress but it's not like they reached for him. He was slated to go end of the lottery, an argument could be made they could have taken a few other players above him but they were mostly SG & SF types and the Wizards have Beal and Brown. So, I understand taking a chance on a raw PF who is an extremely hard worker and should get better bc he hasn't been playing basketball his whole life, only since he was 14.

Then I love the Schofield pick, he may actually end up being a better pick than Rui. I could see him developing into a Draymond Green type player. 

I'm excited to see Wagner too. He’s not the most athletic guy but he's crafty. He's a good outside shooter for a big man too. He can be a stretch 4/5 off the bench. 

Justin Robinson really impressed last night in the first summer league game. He'll probably be on the Capitol City Go-Go this year along with a few of the other guys from this Summer League but I wish we hadn't signed Ish Smith bc I think Robinson has what it takes to be a backup PG right now.

I think you need to have realistic expectations. Believe me...I'm in the same boat. My Hornets are going to be garbage. There are 5-6 competitive teams in the NBA the rest are just filler until the playoffs... We are filler!!!!!

21 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

I think you need to have realistic expectations. Believe me...I'm in the same boat. My Hornets are going to be garbage. There are 5-6 competitive teams in the NBA the rest are just filler until the playoffs... We are filler!!!!!

Since I still technically still live inCharlotte I follow the Hornets a lot too. If there was a dumpster fire worse than the Wizards, you're looking at it. 

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Since I still technically still live inCharlotte I follow the Hornets a lot too. If there was a dumpster fire worse than the Wizards, you're looking at it. 

But they have Nicholas Batum! Ha! I remember back in the year when KD wouldn't even meet with us some people wanted to throw a max deal at him or Chandler Parsons! Whew! 

Glad Ernie didn't do that of course what he did do in giving Jason Smith, Mahinmi and Nicholson their deals wasn't good either.

He should have just saved that $ for the next offseason.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

I have realistic expectations for the season. I think the Wizards are going to struggle to get 30 wins. I'm just pointing out that I'm excited about the young guys they've acquired - especially this offseason - and to see Brown play a lot. I'm hopeful some of them develop into at least good bench players for us. I like watching young guys play and develop when I know the DC teams aren't going to be a playoff team.