Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

A vet on a 1 year expiring deal could be valuable at the trade deadline.  You could flip a vet at like a $15 mil 1-year deal for another team's terrible 3 year contract around that annual price plus get paid draft picks as compensation.  

Alright. That makes a bit of sense.

The cost is the potential damage you're going to do to the young guys that you acquired in hopes of turning them into trade chips, but I suppose it might be more useful to have something closer to a sure thing (provided not injured) than possibilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I'm going to ask a naive question: why would you want a veteran forward a la Jabari Parker?

What the Wizards should be hoping for is that some combination of Troy Brown Jr., Rai Hachimura, Admiral Schofield, Moritz Wagner, Jonathan Simmons, and/or Jermarrio Jones develop into a reasonable rotation across the 3 and 4 spots. Spending a bunch of money on a veteran for a year or two play ahead of those guys is a waste. You want those guys to develop so you either are built for the future or you have trade chips in a year or two.

While it would be a bit dirty, you could rescind the offer you gave to Ishmael Smith and try to sign Quinn Cook now, and then use the exemption you just applied for to find a decent back up at the #2.

Just so you know, Jonathan Simmons is a veteran SG/SF (30 in September) that Sheppard traded our 42nd pick for, I think so the Sixers could open up cap space to re-sign Harris and do whatever else they're going to do and Mknight brings up a good point about being able to trade a players like Parker or Simmons away for a playoff contender that needs a bench veteran for another teams player they are looking to unload or some young players or picks.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Just so you know, Jonathan Simmons is a veteran SG/SF (30 in September) that Sheppard traded our 42nd pick for, I think so the Sixers could open up cap space to re-sign Harris and do whatever else they're going to do and Mknight brings up a good point about being able to trade a players like Parker or Simmons away for a playoff contender that needs a bench veteran for another teams player they are looking to unload or some young players or picks.

We got pick 42 for taking his contract. We didn’t trade 42 away. Took admiral with it

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m kinda bummed they aren’t going to re-sign Parker but I get it. They’re going to suck and he won’t make the difference between terrible and good. 

Problem with Parker is that he can’t play defense and he’s more of a midrange shooter than 3 point shooter.  He’s a poor mans Carmelo.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m kinda bummed they aren’t going to re-sign Parker but I get it. They’re going to suck and he won’t make the difference between terrible and good. 

Where did you see that they aren't going to re-sign Parker?

He hasn't signed with anyone and he does have a market developing but the Wizards are still in play from everything I see and from a report from Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington.

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Literally every report was the Wizards were letting Portis and Parker walk. I know you saw them because it’s been reported everywhere. 

I just posted several things that contradict that from local sources that say they are interested in re-signing him.

Do you have anything that says otherwise? I haven't seen it.

Now, the Wizards did decline Parker's $20 million offer for this year but that doesn't mean they aren't interested in bringing him back at a cheaper price and if they get the injured player exception for Wall they can use that $9 million to re-sign Parker, Boogie or others.

Edited by turtle28

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-free-agency-rumors-jabari-parker-not-expecting-to-be-back-with-wizards/t7qxnztoj69h1kw7v0fphjd5o

That’s one of them but there was quite a few more tweets around the start of free agency from Ben Standig. Unfortunately I don’t have twitter anymore and just see it when I to links etc. Basically the team is saying “yeah we like Jabari but not at the price he’s commanding” so essentially they’re saying goodbye. Which, honestly, is understandable considering the circumstances. I totally get letting him walk. Don’t like it but I get it. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-free-agency-rumors-jabari-parker-not-expecting-to-be-back-with-wizards/t7qxnztoj69h1kw7v0fphjd5o

That’s one of them but there was quite a few more tweets around the start of free agency from Ben Standig. Unfortunately I don’t have twitter anymore and just see it when I to links etc. Basically the team is saying “yeah we like Jabari but not at the price he’s commanding” so essentially they’re saying goodbye. Which, honestly, is understandable considering the circumstances. I totally get letting him walk. Don’t like it but I get it. 

Oh yeah, if he gets too expensive. I guess I just took your words of “letting him walk” as they weren’t interested. That’s where I was hung up. They’re interested but not at paying him near what Portis got which, is the right move to make. Neither of those two are worth that much and Sato isn’t work his contract either.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Now, the Wizards did decline Parker's $20 million offer for this year but that doesn't mean they aren't interested in bringing him back at a cheaper price and if they get the injured player exception for Wall they can use that $9 million to re-sign Parker, Boogie or others.

Could be. But it's like they expected him to get (for example) a 2 year $30 million dollar deal - and no one is biting. So now his price drops. Now he's floating around a 1 year prove it for $10 million. Maybe now, yes, you would consider him back. But originally, you weren't because of what you expected market demand at.

I have no insight into where his numbers are, just using examples. 

• Like 1