Browns sign Jarvis Landry to 5 year extension

.Buzz

On the plus side, this is Dorsey actually locking up a guy.   Hubbard & Carrie were the only other guys with contracts that locked them into 2019 for sure before this.

On the down side, yeah, that's a lot of coin.    I get it's the going rate for having to change the culture...but man, OBJ & Cooper & pretty much every other young up & coming WR must be smiling from ear to ear right now.

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On the down side, yeah, that's a lot of coin.    I get it's the going rate for having to change the culture...but man, OBJ & Cooper & pretty much every other young up & coming WR must be smiling from ear to ear right now.

If this is a bad deal, I'd love to see what anyone would call the Sammy Watkins deal.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If this is a bad deal, I'd love to see what anyone would call the Sammy Watkins deal.

Thought that deal sucked even worse....and Im sure many would agree.

I think some will be harder on this deal mainly because it involves the Browns.

Personally...I dont think its a terrible DEAL....just a massive overpay.   Meaning, the deal itself wont likely hurt the Browns negatively since they have a ton of money and not many large contracts right now....but I still think they gave Landry too much money for what he brings to the table.

The Watkins deal will be a bad DEAL IMO.  Only remotely saving grace is that its only 3 years.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Way too much money for a guy averaging 10 yards per reception.  OBJ is smiling somewhere, and not because his boy just got paid.

What’s wrong with 10yards a catch? That’s a first down. It’s not his fault that’s how Miami used him

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Thought that deal sucked even worse....and Im sure many would agree.

I think some will be harder on this deal mainly because it involves the Browns.

Which is fair. The Browns aren't exactly poster children for a well run organization.

Personally...I dont think its a terrible DEAL....just a massive overpay.   Meaning, the deal itself wont likely hurt the Browns negatively since they have a ton of money and not many large contracts right now....but I still think they gave Landry too much money for what he brings to the table.

I think unfortunately right now the Browns are in a position where they have to slightly overpay some talented guys to lock them up. It's not exactly a free agent hot spot right now, and Landry at least brings some semblance of stability to the position group and they're clearly wanting him as their 3rd down safety outlet for their rookie QB after Tyrod this year.

The Watkins deal will be a bad DEAL IMO.  Only remotely saving grace is that its only 3 years.

$30 million guaranteed for Sammy, who I think is solid when healthy...but WOW. AB and OBJ must be licking their chops.

48 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What’s wrong with 10yards a catch? That’s a first down. It’s not his fault that’s how Miami used him

We used him that way because he lacks the skill-set to be used as a parameter vertical receiver. Which is fine - I loved Jarvis and his role was an important one. But that's pretty much who he is. And this price tag for that role is unheard of.

He'll be productive, no doubt. A real security blanket for whichever QB the Browns go with. But I can't see him being worth the contract.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Trust me, I'm no fan of the Watkins deal either.   WR is probably the one position where we are seeing more & more non-elite guys getting paid elite $.   Sooner or later that's got to give.   For a while the game really focused on having the go-to 160-180 target alpha WR, but we're seeing that with more spread O's and using the RB more in the passing game, unless you are OBJ-level, it's just so hard to justify this type of $.    

36 minutes ago, TheChancellor said:

Browns making moves that we can't really make fun of - nice, keep it going.

Hope Landry finds some happiness in the factory of sadness.

Yeah well - you finally got rid of that God awful front office and replaced them with some football people - and its a wonderous thing what extended losing will do for an organization (read: multiple high draft picks) & player/salary dumps that result in a Gazillion dollars to spend. Homer Simpson could figure his way through those minefields.

Archived