Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I'm planning on having a pro do it, I was more curious about the numbers that appeared to be for the guard only, and what people have seen for professional costs with gutter and guard installation.

That does seem like a big cost increase for something that just snaps on.

Do you have a lot of trees?  Not all homes need them.  No trees = nothing to clog the gutters.

Just now, theJ said:

That does seem like a big cost increase for something that just snaps on.

Do you have a lot of trees?  Not all homes need them.  No trees = nothing to clog the gutters.

There are quite a number in the front of the house, none in the back, but they are all well established trees, so nice and tall and probably needed from what I'd say.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, The Gnat said:

True, would probably need a rebalancing or some sort, I saw a few videos, I'll have to watch one or two just to see, it's a basement space we can probably finish off without much issue but right now no heat, which won't be too bad throughout the year, but getting more control on the temp would be great. Also would turn into a theater room so I wouldn't have to put holes in the living room ceiling.

I dont think it will be the biggest issue. It doesnt seem like it would be the biggest room. You could always add a damper to the duct. So when you want to use the room, you just open it, and allow the air flow. When your not using it, you close it. It would help to not throw off the air flow for the entire house. Also if you put in enough good insulation, you might not need to have that much heat in their anyways. You might be able to get away with just a space heater.

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I dont think it will be the biggest issue. It doesnt seem like it would be the biggest room. You could always add a damper to the duct. So when you want to use the room, you just open it, and allow the air flow. When your not using it, you close it. It would help to not throw off the air flow for the entire house. Also if you put in enough good insulation, you might not need to have that much heat in their anyways. You might be able to get away with just a space heater.

Yeah, could use a space heater, but I'd prefer to use the HVAC because we have a toddler and I would prefer something that is less slightly less like to be hot for him. I'd probably put a damper on it, I don't think it would really throw off the balance all that much.

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, could use a space heater, but I'd prefer to use the HVAC because we have a toddler and I would prefer something that is less slightly less like to be hot for him. I'd probably put a damper on it, I don't think it would really throw off the balance all that much.

I know they make some nice Recessed Electric Wall-Mount Heater. I believe they only get as warm to the touch like a normal vent would be. You could also place it in the wall at the height where a toddler cant touch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-EnergyPlus-1600-Watt-120-240-Volt-In-Wall-Electric-Wall-Heater-in-White-CEC163TW/206750445

something like this. They also make ceiling ones i believe

Also it prolly be a lot easier to heat the room up this way. If its a room that wont be used that often. You go down to use it and its too cold, you will have to adjust the temp of the house to just heat that room. It seems very inefficient to do it that way.

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I know they make some nice Recessed Electric Wall-Mount Heater. I believe they only get as warm to the touch like a normal vent would be. You could also place it in the wall at the height where a toddler cant touch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-EnergyPlus-1600-Watt-120-240-Volt-In-Wall-Electric-Wall-Heater-in-White-CEC163TW/206750445

something like this. They also make ceiling ones i believe

Also it prolly be a lot easier to heat the room up this way. If its a room that wont be used that often. You go down to use it and its too cold, you will have to adjust the temp of the house to just heat that room. It seems very inefficient to do it that way.

I'd be a room that is used a lot because it'd be the primary TV watchign space. Certainly an option though. The space isn't finished yet, so I don't want to add much of anything to walls or anything like that until that is taken care of, also the walls are old stone/cinder block from 1915, so not the best stuff to mount things to.

46 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

There are quite a number in the front of the house, none in the back, but they are all well established trees, so nice and tall and probably needed from what I'd say.

Are the gutters at a height that you can't do it yourself?  I've removed/re-installed mine occasionally when some gunk inevitably gets in there.  It's not hard.

I agree that the gutters themselves require a professional installation.  But the gutter guards are much more simplistic.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Are the gutters at a height that you can't do it yourself?  I've removed/re-installed mine occasionally when some gunk inevitably gets in there.  It's not hard.

I agree that the gutters themselves require a professional installation.  But the gutter guards are much more simplistic.

I have a fear of heights that generally about 3-5 feet if the limit for me feet off the ground, generally closer to 3, especially on a ladder. So that's just a me issue, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I have a fear of heights that generally about 3-5 feet if the limit for me feet off the ground, generally closer to 3, especially on a ladder. So that's just a me issue, unfortunately.

Hey man, no judgement here.  I can do about 5-7' before i start feeling it.

In that case i'd go with the recommendation from @MWil23 and get a few more quotes.  The cost does seem high.  Also feel free to ask them directly why that's such a big increase.  Let them sweat and explain it.  They're working for you.  A good honest company won't have a problem explaining their costs involved.

• Like 1

We wanted to put in a concrete patio / fireplace under our deck in the backyard, but kept getting quotes for like $5,000. "Well, what if we come up with a way to do it ourselves"?

20 labor hours later and about $1,200 we put together something that looks "good" and will hold us over for a while. Happy with the results!

• Like 2

Just now, theJ said:

In that case i'd go with the recommendation from @MWil23 and get a few more quotes.  The cost does seem high.  Also feel free to ask them directly why that's such a big increase.  Let them sweat and explain it.  They're working for you.  A good honest company won't have a problem explaining their costs involved.

Exactly. I’d ask for an itemized quote. That seems high.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theJ said:

I just recently changed careers to an Electrician. On the verge of the one year mark. I was working at an industrial site. Had to walk across steal beams 75ft in the area. Wearing a full safety harness and tied off but still. I could crack walnuts with how puckered my butt was.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a couple questions for you do it yourselfers. 

I am looking to change out 5 of my windows in my house. They are old and starting to get pretty rough. Any recommendations on types or where to buy? 

My second question is for a little bigger of a job. My back porch is sitting on some railroad ties that are really wearing out. My plan is to rip them out and build a stone retaining wall. WOuld anyone recommend any kind of saw that I could use that would cut the railroad tie, as well as the rebar that's in there? 

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So I have a couple questions for you do it yourselfers. 

I am looking to change out 5 of my windows in my house. They are old and starting to get pretty rough. Any recommendations on types or where to buy? 

I have had good experience with the Polaris double pane windows. They typically have Argon filling as well.

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My second question is for a little bigger of a job. My back porch is sitting on some railroad ties that are really wearing out. My plan is to rip them out and build a stone retaining wall. WOuld anyone recommend any kind of saw that I could use that would cut the railroad tie, as well as the rebar that's in there? 

I’d recommend a demolition saw with a carbide blade, something like this:

You COULD use a chainsaw, but the cut will likely be a tad tougher and you’ll have to swap out the chain regularly.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Anyone done landscaping before? Staying in my wife's grandmother's house while the China border remains closed, and I want to fix up her flower beds for her. I've started pulling out the weeds and grass, but I'm already seeing them come back¬¬ . Looking at putting mulch over it to hopefully keep them from coming back. Is mulch good for soil or is it just for aesthetics? Should I put fertilizer/soil under it first? 

As someone who spent way too much of my life doing landscaping through my youth, i recommend just getting a baby tiller and just ripping everything to shreds and **** any of the roots of the plants because weeding things is one of the most annoying tasks on planet earth.  In small bed, as long as things are spaced about right...it's just a rip every now and then, pull the leftovers off the top and you're done.  You can even get ones that are basically just a weedwhacker for dirt cultivating.  Doesn't look perfect.  But nice enough, and way less annoying than any way of doing it by hand.  Or spending a ton constantly trying to mulch over it when the weeds will just work their way up again.