Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

You are both disgusting.  Sanding is the worst.

It depends to be honest. For example, I made an 8 foot farmhouse kitchen table from scratch/using nothing but lumber. Taking my really good table top and then making it come together and then taking it to the next level in that "final transformation" process, while choosing which nicks/grooves/knots to leave in for character purposes was super cool.

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

The first coat of finish is the best.  Brings the wood to life and you can really see how your project is going to look.

I totally agree with this, but the arduous process of applying 2-4 coats of finish, then applying 5+ coats of poly, while waiting for it to dry, etc. was just a very frustrating process.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking I have two dead GFCI outlets in my kitchen and bath. Are these difficult to replace? DIY or electrician? I'm assuming that is the case; no electrical problems in either (everything works), and the other outlets in immediate proximity to the kitchen GFCI outlets work still

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

just checking, but did you push in the little button that sits between the upper/lower outlets ? sometimes that trips

Yeah, they're out. At best the outlets are dead, at worst there is something else going on, but obviously if can check on the easiest solution first myself, I'd rather do that lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Thinking I have two dead GFCI outlets in my kitchen and bath. Are these difficult to replace? DIY or electrician? I'm assuming that is the case; no electrical problems in either (everything works), and the other outlets in immediate proximity to the kitchen GFCI outlets work still

that's an odd situation, that deserves investigation.

because the whole intent of having a gfi outlet in the kitchen is that it is in line, in the same circuit, as the other non-gfi outlets. meaning when the individual gfi outlet internally trips its own breaker, all the other outlets in the kitchen stop receiving current too. that's it's role - it controls ALL the outlets in the kitchen on its circuit.

and no, they are not difficult to replace. a little trickier than a typical outlet, but not much.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Planning on completing a farm fence around my 2-acre property. Unfortunately, the price of wood is just not going down yet. Hoping the price goes down sometime before Spring; right now I’d be paying way more than I’d like for the lumber. Even a basic stud is like $8 right now where I’m at. 

Anyone knock out any decent projects lately? Surprise this thread hasn’t had more action recently, with all the DIYers out there this year especially. 

45 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Planning on completing a farm fence around my 2-acre property. Unfortunately, the price of wood is just not going down yet. Hoping the price goes down sometime before Spring; right now I’d be paying way more than I’d like for the lumber. Even a basic stud is like $8 right now where I’m at. 

Anyone knock out any decent projects lately? Surprise this thread hasn’t had more action recently, with all the DIYers out there this year especially. 

$8??!  Wow.  Is that treated or untreated?

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

$8??!  Wow.  Is that treated or untreated?

Ok, I just looked at Lowes, it’s actually under $7 so I was a bit off. Untreated. I think it has gone down slightly since I last looked a couple weeks ago so maybe that’s a good sign.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Ok, I just looked at Lowes, it’s actually under $7 so I was a bit off. Untreated. I think it has gone down slightly since I last looked a couple weeks ago so maybe that’s a good sign.

That's nuts.  I haven't looked lately at Menards, but last time i did it was like $2.50

EDIT: $5 here.  Wow.  That's crazy town.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's nuts.  I haven't looked lately at Menards, but last time i did it was like $2.50

Menards might be the best bet. I just looked and it’s $5.48. They always do those 11% off rebate’s though so it’s probably under $5. 

Obviously these stores have done well over the summer or the prices would be a lower by now. Who knows though, I’m not going to buy anything in bulk right now at least.

Edited by NateDawg

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This is why wives must be patient people that humor us. 

It gets a smile and eyeroll every time.

P.S.

I don't always use the studfinder on the chest area. Now that is comedy gold, followed by a look up and down.