Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

We're going to plant some next year around our roses.  Been doing research into the cover we want.  I'll let you know what conclusions i draw.  But basically it's going to come down to what's available to buy, and what you find appealing to look at.  There are hundreds at least, and probably thousands of options.

I put white daisies by my roses to pop some white, multicolored daisies by the entry/door, and lilies in between those for starters. 

• Like 1

USrULkV.jpg

Very excited to have finally finished my building a functional workbench. The Bench/top I built in Oct. The storage/organizational part, I finished last night. It feels so good to go into my garage and not have all my tools and whatnot in one big cluttered mess. Best part is it only cost me like $20 lol

I want to say it took about 7 free wood pallets, a couple of purchased 2x4s, scrap wood I had, and some garbaged picked metal legs. I couldnt pull the trigger of buying a workbench. So at my old job, they would have stacks of wooded pallets. So grabbed about 6 good ones, different sizes, and took them home. They were also throwing out an old busted up workbench and I took the metal legs off of it. Cleaned them up from rust and spray painted them read. Like I said, I had the bench part finished since Oct. After trying to clean my area in the garage. My tools started to pile up on the bench and other clutter cause I had no real way of organizing them because I didnt have anything besides the bench and an old toolbox that was way too small. Well, we just had a pool installed and all the material came in on a big wooden pallet, 2 actually, but one of them was really busted up, so I just pitched it in the woods. The other one was in really good shape, kinda, so I used that to make the top half of the workbench. It prolly took me about 6hours to get the top half made. from just figuring out what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it.

I think the MVP of this build was my brand new nailer I got. Its a WEN nailer. I came across it on amazon and it was only $35 and the reviews on it were extremely solid, so I said why the hell not and bought it. I had it for two weeks and never touched it once besides taking it out of the box. The nailer made building the top a freaking breeze because I wasnt hand nailing anything and wasnt pre-drilling and driving screws. Prolly the best $35 dollars I have ever spent on the tool. I cant wait for the next project to now. 

Also the Tacklife drill kit I got, it has a wide variety of drill bits like regular drill bits, hole saws, spade bits, and etc, was clutch too. It was the first time I got to use those guys as well. That was a darn good $20 as well

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, theJ said:

There's also ground cover plants.  Stuff that vines out and covers a wide area so effectively that weeds don't grow.  More effective than rocks or mulch.

EDIT: and i'm talking about perennials.  So it comes up every year.  Very low maintenance.

Pachysandra

That 💩 grows like mad. We had lavender when we first moved and something killed half of it so we ripped it out and put that stuff down. Two years later, it's a damn forest. It doesn't look bad and is, like you said, very low maintenance. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

And yes, mulch in Midwest Ohio is expensive af. I absolutely hate mulching. I hate everything about it. I'm not enjoying talking about it right now lol

Though it is a lot cheaper if you have a truck and can buy it by the yard. 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, skywindO2 said:

I think before I do my kitchen, I'll try repainting my bathroom vanity first. The previous owners did painted it(poorly IMO) so I think the overall required labor would be about the same. Sand it down, prime and paint. Just to give me a better idea of what I need to do in the kitchen. On that subject, would I be better off painting the vanity or walls first in the bathroom? I assume vanity is the preferred approach.

Painted my bathroom and vanity and wow I love it. The addition of knobs  to the vanity, and changing out the hinges to the match the knobs really stands out to me. Not sure it's something I want to do in my kitchen yet but still strongly considering it. At the very least, I'll be adding hardware and changing the hinges to match too.

• Like 1

Thinking about future house projects:

Gutters
Making 4th Bedroom
Adding Vent to basement off of existing HVAC/dry wall basement ceiling

Those are the top 4, with the last one, how difficult is it to add a vent into existing HVAC? Something you can do as DYI?

8 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Thinking about future house projects:

Gutters
Making 4th Bedroom
Adding Vent to basement off of existing HVAC/dry wall basement ceiling

Those are the top 4, with the last one, how difficult is it to add a vent into existing HVAC? Something you can do as DYI?

Yeah that shouldn't be too hard.  Never done it myself, but i imagine it's just common tools (sawzall, drill).  The hardest part is that it's going throw off the air balance in your whole house, and you'll have to rebalance.

I'd do a quick google search.  I bet you can find a video out there.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah that shouldn't be too hard.  Never done it myself, but i imagine it's just common tools (sawzall, drill).  The hardest part is that it's going throw off the air balance in your whole house, and you'll have to rebalance.

I'd do a quick google search.  I bet you can find a video out there.  

True, would probably need a rebalancing or some sort, I saw a few videos, I'll have to watch one or two just to see, it's a basement space we can probably finish off without much issue but right now no heat, which won't be too bad throughout the year, but getting more control on the temp would be great. Also would turn into a theater room so I wouldn't have to put holes in the living room ceiling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done gutters? I can't remember if I asked this before or not, but I'm curious about cost difference between with or without a guard for a professional install. What I'm seeing was $3-5 for vinyl per linear foot for gutter but $7.50 to $12 for the guard, which from what I skimmed looked like just guard install not gutter.

9 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Has anyone done gutters? I can't remember if I asked this before or not, but I'm curious about cost difference between with or without a guard for a professional install. What I'm seeing was $3-5 for vinyl per linear foot for gutter but $7.50 to $12 for the guard, which from what I skimmed looked like just guard install not gutter.

I’ll be honest, when it comes to water near my home, I’ll pay a professional to do it. Gutters/rainwater to me are worth it. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’ll be honest, when it comes to water near my home, I’ll pay a professional to do it. Gutters/rainwater to me are worth it. Just my opinion.

I'm planning on having a pro do it, I was more curious about the numbers that appeared to be for the guard only, and what people have seen for professional costs with gutter and guard installation.

3 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'm planning on having a pro do it, I was more curious about the numbers that appeared to be for the guard only, and what people have seen for professional costs with gutter and guard installation.

If you can find a couple/three reputable companies, I’d get quotes from all of them.