Eric Kendrick’s Signs Extension 5Yr/$50M

gopherwrestler

Love Kendricks but he's the one player due for an extension that I wouldn't have been upset about losing. Really interested in keeping Hunter, Barr, Diggs, and possibly Richardson next season. Waynes is gone but I think Alexander will be ready to go if he's needed to play that spot.

34 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Now someone please translate into English please!

Looks quite palpable. If my understanding is correct, that 10.5 million counts 2.1 million against the cap for the next 5 years. That makes his cap number this year 3.238 million, 6.25 in 2019, and 9.25 in 2020. The final 3 years don't appear to be guaranteed, so I would assume he'd be cut or restructured by then. If so, he'd count 2.1 million in dead money in 2021 and 2022. Unless the signing bonus doesn't start prorating until next year.

2019 - 2023, he can earn an additional 250k per year if he doesn't miss a game, and an extra 100k for workout bonuses each year. 

If the salary cap keeps going up at the rate of 10 million per year, this will look like a great deal com 2021 onward. 

7 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

If my understanding is correct, that 10.5 million counts 2.1 million against the cap for the next 5 years. That makes his cap number this year 3.238 million, 6.25 in 2019, and 9.25 in 2020. The final 3 years don't appear to be guaranteed, so I would assume he'd be cut or restructured by then. If so, he'd count 2.1 million in dead money in 2021 and 2022. Unless the signing bonus doesn't start prorating until next year.

2019 - 2023, he can earn an additional 250k per year if he doesn't miss a game, and an extra 100k for workout bonuses each year. 

If the salary cap keeps going up at the rate of 10 million per year, this will look like a great deal com 2021 onward. 

The PFT article lists his 2018 salary ($1.138M), not his cap number ($1.64M), which includes his original rookie signing bonus, which was prorated at $500K per year. 

The new signing bonus will be prorated at $2.1M, starting this year (a year before the extension actually starts) and continuing for 5 years until 2022, a year before the extension finishes. 

Cap numbers for 2019-2023 will include the base salary, the likely to be earned roster and workout bonuses, and the prorated signing bonus. So more like $6.6M for 2019 and $9.5M for 2020 etc.

The lack of new guaranteed money after 2020 means he could be restructured at that point, but the dead cap hit for releasing or trading him would be the remaining prorated years of the signing bonus, so $6.3M in 2020, $4.2M in 2021, $2.1M in 2022, or zero in 2023.

All in all, I think this is a good deal for the Vikings and Kendricks. It isn't the one that I thought they would make, but I think it gives the other three (Hunter, Diggs, Barr) confidence that deals will get done.

The total value of the six-year deal is $51.138 million, with $50 million in new money over the five new years of the deal. His salary for 2018 doesn’t change, but he earns $10.5 million from the get-go.

The deal puts Kendricks behind only Luke Kuechly, Alec Ogletree, and Bobby Wagner as the highest-paid inside linebackers in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/the-full-eric-kendricks-breakdown/

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Krauser said:

PFF charting...

Griffen: 484 pass rush snaps, 12 sacks, 11 hits, 38 hurries. 61 total pressures. 10.1% “pass rush productivity”

Hunter: 479 pass rush snaps, 8 sacks, 4 hits, 49 hurries. 61 total pressures. 10.0% “pass rush productivity”

Griffen: 268 run snaps, 24 tackles, 7 assists, 3 missed tackles, 17 “stops”.  Stop percentage: 6.3%

Hunter: 246 run snaps, 22 tackles, 7 assists, 2 missed tackles, 17 “stops”.  Stop percentage: 6.9%

...so he was even more effective against the run than Griffen, and getting to the QB at a comparable rate of total pressures, just with more hurries and fewer sacks.  Total pressure by the way is a better way to predict future sacks than actual sacks. 

Robison’s pass rush productivity was 7.9 last year. Hunter’s PRP in 2016 was 11.5, Griffen 10.1, Robison 8.1. In 2015, Griffen’s was 11.3, Hunter 9.8, Robison 8.4. 2014, Griffen 9.9, Robison 8.0. So Hunter has the best single year (2016) on this score of pass rush effectiveness for the Vikings under Zimmer, and his 2017 performance ties Griffen’s 2nd best years (2017 and 2016). 

Run stop %: Robison 2017 was 5.6. 2016: Hunter 13.1, Griffen 6.2, Robison 3.7. 2015: Hunter 11.5, Robison 5.8, Griffen 5.0. 2014: Griffen 7.6, Robison 3.6. So Hunter has the top 2, and 3 of the top 4 run stop percentage seasons of the Zimmer era DEs.

Hunter is in fact the best DE on the team against the run, and just about as good a pass rusher as Griffen already. And he’s 23, while Griffen turns 31 this year. 

Letting Hunter go would be just about the worst personnel decision the Vikings can make. 

I think I disagree.  There are times when I need to put statistics aside and trust what I see on the field with my own eyes.  Hunter is good...but, he's not great, and perhaps never will be.  He is athletic but he doesn't shed blockers as well as he ought.  I just don't think he's a game changer.  Case in point to compare...our very own 84 million dollar man Kirk Cousins.  Has great statistics...but, he's not a great quarterback, nor do I think he ever will be.

I cannot argue against your statistical analysis with either Hunter or Cousins.  However, what I see with my own eyes leads me to feel different about both players.

I also think, with Hunter, for me at least, the Vikings have done well developing solid DE's. Given that fact, I'd trust them replacing Hunter more easily without spending an extremely high draft pick. Add in the fact that Zimmer led defenses rotate a lot along the line, you're dealing with needing two solid options versus one spendy option.

15 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I also think, with Hunter, for me at least, the Vikings have done well developing solid DE's. Given that fact, I'd trust them replacing Hunter more easily without spending an extremely high draft pick. Add in the fact that Zimmer led defenses rotate a lot along the line, you're dealing with needing two solid options versus one spendy option.

With this approach, I'd expect the Vikes to draft a DE early to get that year of development. I want to keep Hunter, Barr and Richardson long term, but I'm concerned that isn't a likely option if all three players command $12+ million per year. Might have to part with vets like Griffen (hence value of drafting DE early this year) and Sendejo to make it possible.

22 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

with Hunter, for me at least, the Vikings have done well developing solid DE's

Have they? 

Weatherly hasn’t amounted to much, if anything. Bowers is still an unknown. And Crichton was a failure. 

Other than Hunter, this staff hasn’t really developed any defensive linemen. 

I think part of the perception problem at DE is that too many fans measure success by sacks. Especially coming off Hunter's 2016 season, it feels like some expect that production at a minimum from him now.

Additionally, I think Everson's success on the other side needs to be taken into consideration too. In 2016, the duo combined for 20.5 sacks on 1,488 snaps. In 2017, they combined for 20 sacks on 1,562 snaps. A slight decline for the duo, but hardly one to freak out over.

So last year, were you same people saying the team shouldn't re-sign Hunter?

Hunter is a must retain for me.... assuming whatever fair market value means for him.

Richardson would be an awesome retain, but I'm not gonna lose sleep if we lost him (and Jaleel replaces him for example).

Right now there is no replacement for Hunter... sure one could be drafted, but right now, Hunter is a must retain.

I have Hunter and Barr ahead of Diggs in order of priority.

Hunter is the future Everson Griffen for that D-Line...he must be retained.  There's absolutely no question in my mind.  Like I've said before, I'd rather let Barr walk than Hunter.  Hunter is the new version of Robison as he was to Griffen and Jared before, and eventually, there will be a new Griffen for Hunter.  Hunter is only 23 years old....and already will be in his 4th season.  The arrow is only pointing up for him.  For me, the priority list is the same as CM's.  It doesn't mean that they will be signed in that order (as I think Barr will be extended first), but as far as priority, Hunter is the top.  

Archived