***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

Just saw it. Couple thoughts. 

1. Thanos (I believe) got the most screen time. I'm super happy they dedicated the time to build up the bad guy. Amazing bad guys make amazing movies
  2. I'm stoked the bad guy won. I actually had asked for that in the previous marvel thread a few weeks back, until I realized.....
  3. ....After about a half hour when I realized most of the "newer" heroes died (Black Panther, Dr Strange, Spiderman and the Guardians) and all most of the "older" heroes lived (Ironman, Capt America, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor)..... I figured that is quickly going to be flip flopped somehow. 

Also, I haven't dug through the whole thread so I haven't seen this mentioned, but does it make sense that Thanos is now also in the soul stone? It looks like Thanos transported there at the end, but could he have "died" from Thor's wound and since he's wearing the gauntlet have just been transported into the same place as where everyone else perhaps went, inside the soul stone? Is this the common thought? There's lot of hints throughout the movie. (The fact that we hear the soul stone is more powerful and is different than the rest of the gems. And that we saw gamora not in her adult state talking to thanos at the end in a strange place, half the universe is now trapped inside the soul stone perhaps with thanos inside also?)

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Steve Rogers: I see you got a haircut.

Thor: I see you copied my beard.

[Groot destroys a bunch of baddies]

Thor: These are my new friends, Rabbit and Tree.

Groot: I am Groot.

Steve: [points to himself] I am Steve Rogers.

Thor is so hilarious. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

Granted it’s more of a scene, but when Drax thought he was invisible because he was so still. 

The Thor/Quill exchange - when Quill made his voice deeper - had me cracking up.

• Like 1

Just got back from the theatre.  Man, this film encapsulated everything it felt like as a young child discovering comic books and the tremendous capacity for storytelling they are and what your own imagination can do to help propel that.  Just incredible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Over/under on how long it takes ben and Jerry's to make a deal with Disney to release those flavors irl? Lol

I'm really surprised they weren't opening day releases from Ben and Jerry...

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

I like drax but he sometimes walks a fine line. Like they are trying too hard.

I agree with this, but when he hits, it's hilarious.

The "I'll do you one better, WHY is Gamora?" from his back part had me crying.

32 minutes ago, JonStark said:

That, and the "one hour" lines were great.   And they're still funny on reviewing. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JonStark said:

To his credit - Dave Bautista had completely owned the role since GotG. For someone with no prior acting experience (outside of his time in the WWE) he's held his own against accomplished actors such as Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and now Robert Downey Jr. 

Good on you, Bautista. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Just got back from the theatre.  Man, this film encapsulated everything it felt like as a young child discovering comic books and the tremendous capacity for storytelling they are and what your own imagination can do to help propel that.  Just incredible.

THAT in a nutshell is my short-answer response to the criticism of "why didn't X happen, or they leave that out".   Great movies actually let the audience create a wider scope of story than just what's on screen.   When a story doesn't make sense, or provide enough context or background to make it believable, then it comes up woefully short.   But nothing that happened didn't have background foreshadowing from the movie itself, or subsequent dialogue or events that made it possible to put the pieces together.  That's brilliant writing, direction & editing IMO.

It's a huge advantage to have 18 movies to create the backstory and character development.  No doubt.   But then it also allows for the ensemble piece to focus on the new characters and give them meaning, layering and complexity, and lets the movie reach for a story that has wider overall scope.   The scope of what IW did was staggering - yet the ability to let the audience fill in the blanks by going backwards and forward (Strange's "there was no other way" demonstrating his foreknowledge that they would lose the battle and he'd have to give up the time stone,  the absolute power that Thanos & then the Black Order (with his army) both displayed,  made it easy to see how they would have wiped out Xandar and the Nova Corps, and even a depleted Thor <no Mjolnir>, Loki, Hulk & Heimdall).  

Great movies expand the scope of the story and let audiences' imagination create even more depth to the story and to the characters.  It's why classic movies like The Dark Knight and The Two Towers don't spell everything out (no way they could include everything from the book), but include enough for audiences to fill in the blanks.  And also allow latitude for different scenarios (why did Heimdall send Hulk?  Mistake by a mortally wounded God, or because he wanted an Avenger to warn his teammates, knowing Loki was a mortal enemy, and wouldn't be trusted?  Great fodder for discussion if you want to dissect it further).   

To be clear one of my big beefs with Age of Ultron was they didn’t leave anything to the imagination.  And didn't create a very nuanced Black Hat.  Unavoidable with a Black Hat created 2 Hours before he met the Avengers.   But still a huge problem.   Add a plot with little to add imagination wise and you have a bloated mess of a movie.    It’s also a huge part of why I was so floored now - I expected this would be better, but was worried it was going to disappoint the hype.  A2 really did disappoint in pretty much every way.   But Infinity Wars exceeded the hype.  Which is saying something.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3