Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They don't have Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, James Jones, Greg Jennings or Jermichael Finley anymore. I'd be amazed if they could find their old offensive success again.

But they have Jimmy, Davante, and Randall.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Krauser said:

So McCarthy is supposedly throwing out the offensive playbook and starting again? Why then would he hire Joe Philbin back as offensive coordinator, when they worked together in designing the old system?

Philbin had no great success in Miami, his reputation rests on the 2009-11 peak of the Packers offense under Rodgers. I can understand the idea that Rodgers could recapture the successes of his prime by going back to basics with his old coordinator, but it makes no sense to get the gang together only in order to turn the page and do something completely different. 

If they wanted to do something new, maybe they could've hired someone new?

What they were doing hasn't been working too well for the last several seasons.  In spite of that, Mike McCarthy was kept around and tasked with putting in a new system.  My guess is that he probably feels a lot of heat to succeed quickly or he will be given the ax himself.  I could see him going with Philbin because he is comfortable working with him and, after his failure as a head coach in Miami, he might not be as much of a threat to replace McCarthy as one of the hot young OC's.  Just a theory on my part.  

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Graham is still a threat, especially if he's used similarly to his role in NO. But age doesn't help Graham.

I might be off-base with this thought, but with the chemistry that Rodgers had with Nelson on back shoulders, especially in the red zone, I don't think that Graham will be a significant upgrade. Plus, Rodgers doesn't seem to have that much trouble throwing TD's to Adams either. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into not being afraid of Graham, but that's where I'm at.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Rodgers is a good QB, but I would have a big problem signing a guaranteed contract to a guy at his age who has already proven himself to be somewhat on the brittle side.  Sure, he's good when he's in there, but he isn't worth much when he's standing on the sidelines.  The Packers found that out last year.  This should get interesting.  :D 

DO IT!!! GIVE IT TO HIM NOW!!!!

I think Anthony Barr needs to get reacquainted with Mr. Rodgers....

In all seriousness though, I'd love to see the Packers be forced into giving him that type of money guaranteed for that long. It will handicap them at other positions, and it will completely decimate them if he gets injured. It's the same reason I hate seeing Cousins get a guaranteed contract for the amount he got. But Rodgers will command even more. 

The Vikings MUST draft a QB early next year. First or second round. Teams with Top 10 QBs can't keep doing the "make me the highest paid player" dance every few years. Keeping good passers on cheap rookie deals will eventually become the path to success in the NFL. 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:52 AM, wcblack34 said:

In all seriousness though, I'd love to see the Packers be forced into giving him that type of money guaranteed for that long. It will handicap them at other positions, and it will completely decimate them if he gets injured. It's the same reason I hate seeing Cousins get a guaranteed contract for the amount he got. But Rodgers will command even more. 

The Vikings MUST draft a QB early next year. First or second round. Teams with Top 10 QBs can't keep doing the "make me the highest paid player" dance every few years. Keeping good passers on cheap rookie deals will eventually become the path to success in the NFL. 

In a way, that makes sense.  The problem is that there aren't very many good passers to be found through the draft.  Just look at how long the Vikings, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, and others have been looking for a QB.  If you get lucky every once in a while and find a good one, you get a 3-4 year rental.  After that, his price goes way up and you are right back to where you started.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, wcblack34 said:

If you can keep cheap talent around the QB (RB, WR and OL) then honestly teams shouldn't be in that bad of a situation. 

On one hand, I'm glad players are making great money but on the other hand, it'd be nice if the best RB wasn't making like 12Mil per or the best QB making 30Mil per. 

I don't think one big contract will ruin a team though.

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If you can keep cheap talent around the QB (RB, WR and OL) then honestly teams shouldn't be in that bad of a situation. 

On one hand, I'm glad players are making great money but on the other hand, it'd be nice if the best RB wasn't making like 12Mil per or the best QB making 30Mil per. 

I don't think one big contract will ruin a team though.

I am wondering if it's time for the NFL to adopt an individual position salary cap instead of team caps?  Until some contracts, specifically quarterback contracts, come under control teams will always be robbing Peter to pay Paul...which means, valuable and productive players will be cut or traded year after year to make room for the larger contracts.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am wondering if it's time for the NFL to adopt an individual position salary cap instead of team caps?  Until some contracts, specifically quarterback contracts, come under control teams will always be robbing Peter to pay Paul...which means, valuable and productive players will be cut or traded year after year to make room for the larger contracts.

I don't know if that's the answer. But there's no question that the quality of the game has slipped. I think that is in large part because of the overemphasis on QB salaries. The Vikings are well built for now. Most of that is because we have so much blue chip talent playing on rookie deals and because we didn't have so much tied up in a QB that we couldn't resign them. While it may be hard to consistently draft a top flight NFL starter, I think being creative with the approach to that position is a wise thing to do. 

At any rate, the QB salary question is going to become the most important issue in building an NFL team from here on out. If QBs are going to be getting fully guaranteed deals, there's no looking back. 

While not quite on the level of shouting “fire!” in a crowded theater, whispering “bomb” in an airport apparently will get a guy arrested, and Packers receiver Trevor Davis learned that lesson the hard way. According to TMZ, Davis was arrested at LAX after making a joke at the luggage counter about having a bomb in his bags.

As the bags being transported by Davis and a female companion were being processed, Davis said to his traveling partner, “Did you remember to pack the explosives?”

The woman said in response, “Yes.”

Davis, a sixth-round pick in 2016, was promptly taken into custody on a misdemeanor count of making criminal threats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/packers-receiver-arrested-for-making-bomb-joke-at-airport/

ya can't teach stupid, for some it's a natural talent.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

While not quite on the level of shouting “fire!” in a crowded theater, whispering “bomb” in an airport apparently will get a guy arrested, and Packers receiver Trevor Davis learned that lesson the hard way. According to TMZ, Davis was arrested at LAX after making a joke at the luggage counter about having a bomb in his bags.

As the bags being transported by Davis and a female companion were being processed, Davis said to his traveling partner, “Did you remember to pack the explosives?”

The woman said in response, “Yes.”

Davis, a sixth-round pick in 2016, was promptly taken into custody on a misdemeanor count of making criminal threats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/packers-receiver-arrested-for-making-bomb-joke-at-airport/

ya can't teach stupid, for some it's a natural talent.

Of course you can!  That's what college campuses are for.