Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

📢 Take Jaden Ivey

I like Ivey too, depending on how the lotto balls fall. I think Jabari is going to be a much much better pro than college player. His guards were trash at Auburn. I think he fits like a glove with Cade. Ivey has a chance to be special too, no doubt. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I like Ivey too, depending on how the lotto balls fall. I think Jabari is going to be a much much better pro than college player. His guards were trash at Auburn. I think he fits like a glove with Cade. Ivey has a chance to be special too, no doubt. 

I have major reservations about Smith. There's just too much risk with him becoming a 3&D Marvin Williams type in the NBA than a star. I don't question that with Ivey at all. I think he's going to be the type that can take over games. I don't see that with Smith.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I have major reservations about Smith. There's just too much risk with him becoming a 3&D Marvin Williams type in the NBA than a star. I don't question that with Ivey at all. I think he's going to be the type that can take over games. I don't see that with Smith.

I see Jabari as almost bust proof. At worst he's a 6'10 3/D guy that is absolutely lights out from 3. Plus I think a lot of his lack of creativity in college was due to him being considerably taller than everyone he plays against and his crap tier guards. He could just shoot over everyone so he didn't have to do anything but that. His dad played in the league too so one might think he'll come in knowing how to prepare for the game. I think he's going to be real good. No slight to Ivey, though. I genuinely think the consensus top 4 are going to be really good players if they fall into the right places. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I see Jabari as almost bust proof. At worst he's a 6'10 3/D guy that is absolutely lights out from 3. Plus I think a lot of his lack of creativity in college was due to him being considerably taller than everyone he plays against and his crap tier guards. He could just shoot over everyone so he didn't have to do anything but that. His dad played in the league too so one might think he'll come in knowing how to prepare for the game. I think he's going to be real good. No slight to Ivey, though. I genuinely think the consensus top 4 are going to be really good players if they fall into the right places. 

I think that's giving him too much credit ha. When he was needed to put the ball on the floor and get baskets, he couldn't do it. He's going to be a pro, for sure, so, yeah, he's likely bust proof, but when you're picking top 4, you don't want a 3&D type, you want a star. Jabari's got a looooooooooooong way to go before he gets there and the GM that takes him probably doesn't have the job by the time he clicks, if he does.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think that's giving him too much credit ha. When he was needed to put the ball on the floor and get baskets, he couldn't do it. He's going to be a pro, for sure, so, yeah, he's likely bust proof, but when you're picking top 4, you don't want a 3&D type, you want a star. Jabari's got a looooooooooooong way to go before he gets there and the GM that takes him probably doesn't have the job by the time he clicks, if he does.

So what you're telling me is he needs a playmaker to get him the ball for the first 2 years of his career? Good thing the Pistons have some of those. I look at transferable skills and he's got a lot of them. He's already got a wet jumper, great length, great height, great athleticism, and bloodlines that tell me he'll work. I think you're overthinking him. I genuinely mean that in the least disrespectful way possible. It's clear that you know what you're talking about when it comes to hoops.

He should have been in the NBA last year. His year in college meant almost nothing to me. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So what you're telling me is he needs a playmaker to get him the ball for the first 2 years of his career? Good thing the Pistons have some of those. I look at transferable skills and he's got a lot of them. He's already got a wet jumper, great length, great height, great athleticism, and bloodlines that tell me he'll work. I think you're overthinking him. I genuinely mean that in the least disrespectful way possible. It's clear that you know what you're talking about when it comes to hoops.

He should have been in the NBA last year. His year in college meant almost nothing to me. 

I'm not. I'm thinking about him from a GM's standpoint. You have an explosive go-to scoring guard that's sitting in your laps, who has just as high a ceiling, and you're going to risk your tenure on a guy that's so far away from being a star that you're likely not going to have the job by the time he does? I get the pick if Ivey's off the board but I just can't, in any real way, find a singular reason to take Smith over Ivey. 

Ivey does so much more for Cade than Smith does as well. 

27 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

📢 Take Jaden Ivey

it seems like troy just recently got to the chapter on rim pressure in his being a gm for dummies book so we'll see how long before it tells him guards can do it too

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He is making strides in this area, though. That's why I asked. I think he's going to develop into a secondary ball handler like Middleton. 

he's definitely getting better but i think he's still a long way from being an initiator especially if you factor in his mediocre vision. maybe it would be better with paolo in that group instead of smith because he has shown he can create for himself and others but unless jabari has been hiding a sick handle this whole year, he'll need to be force fed open looks and three of those guys haven't shown that ability

I think Ivey's athleticism is exciting but I still would rather have Griffin over him.  Give me the better shooter with a NBA ready body who can also create over the turnover prone, bad shot taking athlete.  Ivey will be good, but when I am nitpicking at the top of the draft, I think AGJ is a better fit and a better prospect other than the injury history.  Maybe I am biased as the most I watched Ivey was against MSU twice and he took horrible shots and didn't keep the ball moving at all but I don't love his BB IQ. 

I would still love for us to be able to trade Grant for a solid pick, like maybe to Memphis if they get that Lakers pick.  Or Portland's second pick. 

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Ivey's athleticism is exciting but I still would rather have Griffin over him.  Give me the better shooter with a NBA ready body who can also create over the turnover prone, bad shot taking athlete.  Ivey will be good, but when I am nitpicking at the top of the draft, I think AGJ is a better fit and a better prospect other than the injury history.  Maybe I am biased as the most I watched Ivey was against MSU twice and he took horrible shots and didn't keep the ball moving at all but I don't love his BB IQ. 

I would still love for us to be able to trade Grant for a solid pick, like maybe to Memphis if they get that Lakers pick.  Or Portland's second pick. 

I'd rather have Paolo or Jabari over either of them. Paolo's secondary ball handling potential is nice and his athleticism has impressed me in the tourney. I think guys like Paolo and Jabari play with such an athletic advantage on most nights that it's easy to phone it in. Jabari's 3 point shot and rangy defensive athleticism are too much for me to pass up. I think his playmaking will grow in the league and he'll always have the shot, height, and athleticism to fall back on. Those two guys are can't miss to me. I really like Ivey too. Maybe I'm just old school, but it's tough for me to pass on the taller player.

17 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd rather have Paolo or Jabari over either of them. Paolo's secondary ball handling potential is nice and his athleticism has impressed me in the tourney. I think guys like Paolo and Jabari play with such an athletic advantage on most nights that it's easy to phone it in. Jabari's 3 point shot and rangy defensive athleticism are too much for me to pass up. I think his playmaking will grow in the league and he'll always have the shot, height, and athleticism to fall back on. Those two guys are can't miss to me. I really like Ivey too. Maybe I'm just old school, but it's tough for me to pass on the taller player.

I'd still rather have Chet to Jabari.  He has a similar stroke and also the handles and vision to impact the game without scoring.  He also is big on D.  I know his frame scares people but the skill is insane and I would take him at 1.  I have Paolo next and then Griffin, Ivey, and then Jabari.  I will be happy with any of the 5 though.  I like players after that but don't see the upside as high beyond those 5.  

On 3/29/2022 at 6:24 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

AJ Griffin would be an amazing fit next to Cade.

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, catcheryea said:

it seems like troy just recently got to the chapter on rim pressure in his being a gm for dummies book so we'll see how long before it tells him guards can do it too

rim pressure aware troy weaver is a top 2 gm and he's not 2