All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

On one hand, absolutely do this because Bullet Club has been some of the best work wrestling has ever had. But on the other hand, prepare to be angry beyond belief after you see what guys like Balor, Cody and Anderson can do and how terribly they have all been handled in WWE. 

EDIT: You said AJ bores you. So add him to this list too. 

Well at least with AJ, I have seen what he can do in ROH and TNA. I will always love him for being the best alternative to WWE when I was a young babe but let's face facts, dude has settled into WWE like he came up through their ranks. Could he still do it? I'm sure, but he's figured out how to get by in WWE on his bare minimum ability

But yeah, when I was getting back into wrestling after missing the john cena rise to fame, I kept hearing about finn balor and how great he was and I gave him a fair shot in NXT but didn't really get the hype. On the main roster, I've just grown to hate him and his stupid smile but he's piqued my interest after watching clips of early BC with the hand gun symbol and dropping f bombs and actually pulling off that badass persona. 

10 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Well at least with AJ, I have seen what he can do in ROH and TNA. I will always love him for being the best alternative to WWE when I was a young babe but let's face facts, dude has settled into WWE like he came up through their ranks. Could he still do it? I'm sure, but he's figured out how to get by in WWE on his bare minimum ability

But yeah, when I was getting back into wrestling after missing the john cena rise to fame, I kept hearing about finn balor and how great he was and I gave him a fair shot in NXT but didn't really get the hype. On the main roster, I've just grown to hate him and his stupid smile but he's piqued my interest after watching clips of early BC with the hand gun symbol and dropping f bombs and actually pulling off that badass persona. 

The Real Rocknrolla was a phenomenal gimmick for him, but WWE (and honestly even in this I fault HHH too, but he was probably seeing something he thought would be an easy sell to Vince) had to go and push this "Demon" business and then give up on it entirely.  I also do think that Balor is a casualty of the war (it feels wrong to call it that) between Vince and the Bucks.  The more The Bucks have pushed back, particularly with regard to making a shirt and then making money off of shining the Cease and Desist order, the more Vince - who is petty as hell and we all know it - felt the need to get one over on them and really push the Balor Club (as opposed to Bullet Club) stuff and then to have them make more use of the "Too Sweet" and basically getting ride of the Demon entirely.  I've seen this version of Finn (and you could too) in the days in New Japan before he formed Bullet Club - when he was tagging with Apollo 55; technically fine but ultimately boring because he felt cookie cutter as all get out.  Finn can get over as a babyface (I've seen him do it), but he's a much more effective heel.  The problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get Vince to sign off on a diminutive guy as a heel - which is kind of ironic because that's a complete 180 from where he was in the post-Hogan/Warrior 90's and early 2000's.  He dragged his heels on turning Shawn babyface.

17 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Ambrose is weird and i think it is totally a case of his (out of character) personality and quirkiness.  He manages to be both ends of the spectrum.  I'm not sure I've seen a guy capable of doing exactly what you're describing while also capable of more than holding his own and stepping up his game when he's in there with a high-end worker (i.e. when he's in there with skilled hands, he's not getting carried - quite the opposite - but when he's in there with guys who would do better to be carried he goes vanilla in a hurry and looks flat out bored), except maybe Cena.  In a way, it kind of reminds me of WWE Vader (he had some awesome matches when he was in there with Shawn and other high-end workers and was definitely not being carried in those matches, but many of the big guys Vince loved that he got paired with wouldn't/couldn't work Vader's kind of match and Leon wasn't really allowed to force the issue).

Dolph's great at selling and putting the other guy over, I'm still not convinced he really all that great at getting himself over in his matches and, when he's not a heel, he really didn't do well getting (positive) heat in-ring as a babyface aside from when he was getting shined.

Harper is a massively underrated worker; it's hard not to compare him to what Kane was during the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression eras when he could work anyone and everyone.  He's never going to be a main eventer, but Xavier Woods is another underrated worker (even though I think he'd benefit from getting a little trimmer).

Shinsuke needs to work strong style and Vince (I don't know if he doesn't get it or just doesn't like it) isn't going to let him do that on the regular; similarly, it's one of the same things hurting Asuka right now.  Charlotte is definitely up there.  And, it's just been in very short glimpses because they just haven't been given the opportunity to show it but in very short glimpses due to injuries derailing pushes (which it looks like they may finally be in line for another one to close out this summer), The Revival are outstanding workers (especially Dawson - no surprise since he's also a coach).

Also, are we including the Cruiserweights?  Because Mustafa Ali is a nuts worker, especially for a light heavyweight; dude is probably one of the best sell artists on the entire roster (NXT guys included).  Hes doing the kind of selling that I wish and want Gargano to learn to do, because it would push Gargano's already great game up another rung.

I think they let the cruiserweights out of the handcuffs a bit so I wasn't including them... but to be fair I've never seen an episode of 205 live after the botch job they initially did with the CW division on RAW. 

I can see what you mean about Ambrose, I suppose, I just hate that damn spot he uses through the ropes and how he generally no sells and makes it seem like he's going through dance steps he's done 10000 times. I hate all sell spots that are used by a wrestler against multiple guys, it cheapens it for me... ie: aj styles skying on back body drops all the damn time. IS EVERYONE REALLY THAT STRONG????? 

In Dolph's case, I just can just appreciate that he doesn't have the same match week in and week out and makes others look good doing it that way. I feel like I haven't seen enough of Harper in WWE to appreciate his in ring stuff but I can definitely see the Kane comparison. And yes, I absolutely agree with Woods. Perhaps it helps he's the least utilized member of new day but is always consistently exciting. I've enjoyed the Usos run on SD as well in ring. 

Yeah, Shinsuke is totally neutered in WWE and I didn't even truly know it until watching New Japan. It's a shame, but I don't think that style will ever work well in WWE as long as Vince is calling the shots. You don't even need the neck bumps or all of the high impact stuff that New Japan is getting grief for to be good but you do need to mix up move arsenals and finishes so that every match isn't the same. I'm sure the booking doesn't help having the same match on TV 4-6 weeks in a row and probably doing them on house shows as well. They look bored out there a good amount of the time. 

But on the flip side here, is exactly the reason I think we'll see THE ELITE in WWE sooner than later (next winter????) because those guys have killed themselves while changing the landscape of wrestling, at least in my opinion. Why not take the paycheck without killing yourself? I have never seen an Omega match where he isn't going 1000 miles an hour, all out... so perhaps it'd be a difficult transition for him but Young Bucks would only need to do a quarter of the spots they're capable of and they'd be a+ workers in that WWE handcuff style. But I also can't imagine Omega wanting to dwell in the midcard while being neutered on the mic. 

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The Real Rocknrolla was a phenomenal gimmick for him, but WWE (and honestly even in this I fault HHH too, but he was probably seeing something he thought would be an easy sell to Vince) had to go and push this "Demon" business and then give up on it entirely.  I also do think that Balor is a casualty of the war (it feels wrong to call it that) between Vince and the Bucks.  The more The Bucks have pushed back, particularly with regard to making a shirt and then making money off of shining the Cease and Desist order, the more Vince - who is petty as hell and we all know it - felt the need to get one over on them and really push the Balor Club (as opposed to Bullet Club) stuff and then to have them make more use of the "Too Sweet" and basically getting ride of the Demon entirely.  I've seen this version of Finn (and you could too) in the days in New Japan before he formed Bullet Club - when he was tagging with Apollo 55; technically fine but ultimately boring because he felt cookie cutter as all get out.  Finn can get over as a babyface (I've seen him do it), but he's a much more effective heel.  The problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get Vince to sign off on a diminutive guy as a heel - which is kind of ironic because that's a complete 180 from where he was in the post-Hogan/Warrior 90's and early 2000's.  He dragged his heels on turning Shawn babyface.

Hah! on point as usual, i hadn't even thought of the balor club being ratcheted up after the BC invasion. but even with the demon stuff, felt like there was absolutely nothing behind it. It goes back to what we were all talking about a bit before... WWE struggles to book faces, they're generally cheesy and vanilla because you're right, finn is absolutely a natural heel 

Checking out MLW, @The LBC

I am happy to hear Schiavone's voice. Also happy to see Tim Barr ring announcing given that he was 4 feet away from at the Adam Cole evolve show and while the fire alarm went off, the Skulk danced in the ring chanting the roof is on fire let the mf burn and then the crowd blamed tim barr for it all 

What is the biggest single moment in wrestling History? there are some good candidates

Hogan Slamming Andre the Giant

Hogan's NWO Heel turn at 1996 Bash at the Beach

The Montreal Screw Job

The Austin 3:16 King of the ring moment

Just to name a few. I am going to go with Hogan's Heel turn. Biggest event ever. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Can't wait for tonight. Think it's gonna be a good show. 

This card is better than what had been offered lately.  The fueds are a little better orchestrated lately.  I'm actually interested.  

12 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Now they're saying he WILL defend at SS:

Never believed that ish for a second. 

They haven’t had a plan for Brock for awhile. Ever since Roman was being booed out of the building they’ve been winging it with Brock, hence the short term deals.

Brock @ SS confirmed. 

All the more reason why I don't believe the rumors of Lashley winning. Their reasons for doing so are ridiculous. 1)If they seriously think having Reigns lose will make fans cheer him out of pity, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to them. 2)Are we really supposed to believe they're gonna pass on another opportunity for Reigns to get the #1 contender's shot after pulling the angle of him getting screwed out of the title @ the Greatest Royal Rumble? With Brock basically holding the belt hostage? They're more likely to manufacture sympathy for Reigns out of that.

Archived