All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Exactly. He just doesn't scream "face" to me. He can be a face, but he shouldn't be appealing to children. There are plenty of guys that can pull that off and he's not one of them. He needs to be a dominating behind kicker, not some clown.

He doesn’t scream WWE face, no. I think if they had more badass faces they’d get more faces over. Not everyone has to be a clown or a underdog. It’s one or the other for a wwe face 99% of the time and that’s why there’s many flops, not the talents fault, it’s the writing.

On 7/8/2018 at 6:54 PM, pollino14 said:

Wow The G1 Special was so freaking good. So many fantastic matches.

Kenny vs Cody was absolutely insane! Way better than their first. This is what we’ve been waiting for from Cody. Congrats! Much better than Gagano Chiampa 2. 

Huge shoutout to Switchblade and Juice too. Arguably their best performances as well.

G1 next week, can’t freaking wait.

I disagree that it was better than diy2. While I love Cody, he's simply not as good of a wrestler as Gargano or Ciampa. Definitely felt like Omega paced the match and carried it through spots. I still loved it, tho. I marked out when he swerved during the brawl. 

Idk if BC were ever real heels in new japan given that I've only been watching since the Jericho stuff but if they were, I am disappointed that I missed that run 

3 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I disagree that it was better than diy2. While I love Cody, he's simply not as good of a wrestler as Gargano or Ciampa. Definitely felt like Omega paced the match and carried it through spots. I still loved it, tho. I marked out when he swerved during the brawl. 

Idk if BC were ever real heels in new japan given that I've only been watching since the Jericho stuff but if they were, I am disappointed that I missed that run 

Ciampa and Gargano was too much big hardcore spots that it took away from the ‘hatred’ between the two imo. Their wrestling wasn’t showcased.

Cody Kenny was the perfect blend of psychology, cool spots and wrestling.

Just now, pollino14 said:

Ciampa and Gargano was too much big hardcore spots that it took away from the ‘hatred’ between the two imo. Their wrestling wasn’t showcased.

Cody Kenny was the perfect blend of psychology, cool spots and wrestling.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It was likely Cody's best effort ever, and I just don't think much of him as an in ring talent, even though I do love him. I just don't think Cody sells naturally, perhaps a product of coming up in the WWE system

The hardcore spots didn't take anything away from it for me. I do think a 2nd match between the two was too much but in a vacuum, I enjoyed that match more than Cody/Kenny... but I loved both matches.

Lotta backlash coming from the "strong style" after the g1 special and the amount of times I've said "what the f" out loud while watching new japan is a lot more often than any WWE i've watched in years... even as a life long wrestling fan, some of the spots are a bit to stomach. for every spot they tease you with in the wwe, they actually pull it off in new japan. 

Raw with their lowest viewership in history.

I admit. I said last week I was done with Raw. But I flipped to the channel at the start cause I saw a dude betting another that Roman would open the show yet again. Heard Romans music strike up and switched channel away while laughing how someone could bet against such.

Its mind boggling how nothing has changed with years on top of years of declining ratings. Football seasons going to be a massive slaughter.

11 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

They were definitely heels during the Devitt, Machine Gun, and AJ years.  Kenny was so over-the-top that he pretty much started making them 'trendy heels," especially when they kicked Adam Cole out and brought in King Trendy Heel himself (and I love him so this is no slight), Marty.  I'm just surprised that BC has actually managed to make me care about the Tongans (I won't lump Fale in there but Guerrillas of Destiny were always just so meh to me).  And I'm really digging these mishmash tag team of Suzuki and Sabre Jr.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, MLW Fusion is worth checking out.  I can't stand Sami Callihan as a person, but he's a good performer and is doing a good job of classically blurring the lines of kayfabe.  The action is solid with some recognizable names (MVP, Jimmy Havoc, ACH, Rich Swann, Jake Hager... freaking Colonel Robert Parker... and then they regularly get the likes of Tom Lawlor and my local boy Brody King, along with Pentagon and Fenix (together as heels in this promotion which is something fresh).  And they upload full episodes to YouTube.

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Raw with their lowest viewership in history.

I admit. I said last week I was done with Raw. But I flipped to the channel at the start cause I saw a dude betting another that Roman would open the show yet again. Heard Romans music strike up and switched channel away while laughing how someone could bet against such.

Its mind boggling how nothing has changed with years on top of years of declining ratings. Football seasons going to be a massive slaughter.

RAW at this point is unwatchable - and it's not even just the Roman stuff.  Soooo many of them are overscripted or unnecessarily scripted with stuff anyone familiar with the actual people behind the character (which is pretty easy given how prevalent podcasts are right now) would never say.  It's Vince being way too heavy handed and writing to his own sense of humor (which is childish).  They've pretty much neutered Braun and turned him from badass who could run through anyone on the roster into a giant walking cartoon character.  The Bailey/Sasha stuff is PAINFUL to watch because neither can act their way out of a paper bag when given a script.  Nia never should have opened her mouth and should have just taken notes from Awesome Kong on how to be a proper heavy.  And I'll just go ahead and say it, I hate Baron Corbin, he's legit getting X-Pac heat from me at this point.  He has a cool looking finisher and signature move... and that's about it.  This will put it in perspective... I actually find Mojo more entertaining (Mojo's actually had two solid promos the last couple weeks, but his theme music is annoying generic create-a-wrestler music); I'd have sooner seen him in this Constable role.  Especially since, with Jason Jordan cleared to return, you just know that we're going to end up with a Summer Slam feud of either Jordan/Corbin (which will bomb!) or Angle/Jordan vs HHH/Corbin.

Then when you compare it to the company products that Hunter is responsible for (NXT, WWE UK, and 205 Live - the later of which has been phenomenal lately) and it's patently clear that Vince just needs to suffer a stroke already.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The LBC said:

RAW at this point is unwatchable - and it's not even just the Roman stuff.  Soooo many of them are overscripted or unnecessarily scripted with stuff anyone familiar with the actual people behind the character (which is pretty easy given how prevalent podcasts are right now) would never say.  It's Vince being way too heavy handed and writing to his own sense of humor (which is childish). 

I'm pretty convinced that it's impossible to be a successful face on Raw right now. The writing is just so bad. The only two faces that are in the least bit over are Seth and Braun, and both are being pushed backward by the garbage they have to try to say seriously. It's a good thing that Rollins can wrestle and that "burn it down" was so over, because I'm convinced that there isn't a single performer that could take the words that are written in 90% of his face promos and make them interesting or entertaining.

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

RAW at this point is unwatchable - and it's not even just the Roman stuff.  Soooo many of them are overscripted or unnecessarily scripted with stuff anyone familiar with the actual people behind the character (which is pretty easy given how prevalent podcasts are right now) would never say.  It's Vince being way too heavy handed and writing to his own sense of humor (which is childish).  They've pretty much neutered Braun and turned him from badass who could run through anyone on the roster into a giant walking cartoon character.  The Bailey/Sasha stuff is PAINFUL to watch because neither can act their way out of a paper bag when given a script.  Nia never should have opened her mouth and should have just taken notes from Awesome Kong on how to be a proper heavy.  And I'll just go ahead and say it, I hate Baron Corbin, he's legit getting X-Pac heat from me at this point.  He has a cool looking finisher and signature move... and that's about it.  This will put it in perspective... I actually find Mojo more entertaining (Mojo's actually had two solid promos the last couple weeks, but his theme music is annoying generic create-a-wrestler music); I'd have sooner seen him in this Constable role.  Especially since, with Jason Jordan cleared to return, you just know that we're going to end up with a Summer Slam feud of either Jordan/Corbin (which will bomb!) or Angle/Jordan vs HHH/Corbin.

Then when you compare it to the company products that Hunter is responsible for (NXT, WWE UK, and 205 Live - the later of which has been phenomenal lately) and it's patently clear that Vince just needs to suffer a stroke already.

Harsh yet its the truth. I told my wrestling friends that for WWE/RAW/SD to prosper again, Vince would need to pass on.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

They were definitely heels during the Devitt, Machine Gun, and AJ years.  Kenny was so over-the-top that he pretty much started making them 'trendy heels," especially when they kicked Adam Cole out and brought in King Trendy Heel himself (and I love him so this is no slight), Marty.  I'm just surprised that BC has actually managed to make me care about the Tongans (I won't lump Fale in there but Guerrillas of Destiny were always just so meh to me).  And I'm really digging these mishmash tag team of Suzuki and Sabre Jr.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, MLW Fusion is worth checking out.  I can't stand Sami Callihan as a person, but he's a good performer and is doing a good job of classically blurring the lines of kayfabe.  The action is solid with some recognizable names (MVP, Jimmy Havoc, ACH, Rich Swann, Jake Hager... freaking Colonel Robert Parker... and then they regularly get the likes of Tom Lawlor and my local boy Brody King, along with Pentagon and Fenix (together as heels in this promotion which is something fresh).  And they upload full episodes to YouTube.

I listened to some of the simon gotch stuff floating around (and given that he had such a forgettable and insignificant run, he sure has a lot to say) and he talks about mlw some. I'll have to check it out.

This stemmed from falling down the youtube rabbit hole last night watching some history of the bullet club series and i am mostly amazed that finn balor was interesting at any point 

4 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I listened to some of the simon gotch stuff floating around (and given that he had such a forgettable and insignificant run, he sure has a lot to say) and he talks about mlw some. I'll have to check it out.

This stemmed from falling down the youtube rabbit hole last night watching some history of the bullet club series and i am mostly amazed that finn balor was interesting at any point 

Gotch (He seriously should just use his real name because Simon Grimm is a great wrestling name) plays second-fiddle to Tom Lawlor on Team Filthy, but it works (Lawler, off-panel, dropping a deuce in Colonel Parker's hat was priceless a couple weeks ago).  MLW got Sawyer Fulton too, basically in the exact same role he was in with pre-Dain-Sanity except with Callihan as the ring leader.