All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

6 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Never kno.  War games is a yearly nxt thing now 

Yeah, but that was Triple H's call.  As long as NXT stays profitable and successful, from everything I've heard Vince is pretty hands-off with it.  It's part of the reason why they tape shows in blocks ahead of airing them - one, so they can put multiple shows in the can in a single session at Full Sail and, two, so that Hunter can fly in to produce those taping sessions.

There is a part of me that takes some solace in the knowledge that Vince can't come up with the cockamamie idea of doing another House of Horrors match or something similar to go along with a Halloween theme.  Then again, I'd just be happy if they could get the commentators, namely Cole, to just call the cards by their name (i.e. "No Mercy," "Backlash," "Money in the Bank") and not "the Money in the Bank pay-per-view."

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, but that was Triple H's call.  As long as NXT stays profitable and successful, from everything I've heard Vince is pretty hands-off with it.  It's part of the reason why they tape shows in blocks ahead of airing them - one, so they can put multiple shows in the can in a single session at Full Sail and, two, so that Hunter can fly in to produce those taping sessions.

There is a part of me that takes some solace in the knowledge that Vince can't come up with the cockamamie idea of doing another House of Horrors match or something similar to go along with a Halloween theme.  Then again, I'd just be happy if they could get the commentators, namely Cole, to just call the cards by their name (i.e. "No Mercy," "Backlash," "Money in the Bank") and not "the Money in the Bank pay-per-view."

You can see trips and steph impact more and more. Yea Vince still has the final say and a lot of of the upper acts are him.  But if you look at a guy like styles, no way would Vince bring in a non wwe made guy and give him a belt for this long years ago.  Especially without the huge build he has a hard on for.  A guy like AJ would have been zigglered his whole career 

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Agree to disagree on Impact.  It's been solid and considerably better considering the low-bar that pre-Don-Callous-Impact had set, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been demonstrably better than Smackdown has been, and it certainly hasn't been better than NXT has been (which has been straight fire for the past month).

SD this week. Had a hair over 32 minutes of actual bell to bell action. With 4 of those matches having 4+ minute commercial breaks in them. Under 20 minutes of 120 min show was wrestling. And the last 20 minutes saw 0 action because they wrote it as a commercial for the Miz show following. I havent been following NXT as of late, but Impact destroyed SD in terms of what they gave fans in terms of ring action this week.

47 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

You can see trips and steph impact more and more. Yea Vince still has the final say and a lot of of the upper acts are him.  But if you look at a guy like styles, no way would Vince bring in a non wwe made guy and give him a belt for this long years ago.  Especially without the huge build he has a hard on for.  A guy like AJ would have been zigglered his whole career 

I think this gets a tad overblown.  Vince gave Eddie a 133-day championship reign.  Big Show got 2 different 50-day runs with the WWE/F title and 90 days as his longest Big Gold belt reign.  Punk had the belt for 434 days and they made a big to-do about him "breaking" Bruno's record.  Benoit got a 154-day world championship reign.  Goldberg got 84 days.  Mysterio got a 112-day reign.  None of these guys were made by WWE and all this was more than 7 years ago.

Either way, AJ is very much akin to Jericho where Vince is concerned (granted, WCW never quite made Jericho a main eventer, but AAA and NJPW certainly did) - certainly not his ideal, but when a guy is willing to go above and beyond AND can get himself over, Vince is going to stand up and take notice.  AJ was a made man in Vince's eyes as soon as he pulled double-duty by coming back on the fly from South America to fill in for Bray against Finn.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think this gets a tad overblown.  Vince gave Eddie a 133-day championship reign.  Big Show got 2 different 50-day runs with the WWE/F title and 90 days as his longest Big Gold belt reign.  Punk had the belt for 434 days and they made a big to-do about him "breaking" Bruno's record.  Benoit got a 154-day world championship reign.  Goldberg got 84 days.  Mysterio got a 112-day reign.  None of these guys were made by WWE and all this was more than 7 years ago.

Either way, AJ is very much akin to Jericho where Vince is concerned (granted, WCW never quite made Jericho a main eventer, but AAA and NJPW certainly did) - certainly not his ideal, but when a guy is willing to go above and beyond AND can get himself over, Vince is going to stand up and take notice.  AJ was a made man in Vince's eyes as soon as he pulled double-duty by coming back on the fly from South America to fill in for Bray against Finn.

Goldberg and show don't count as they are big dudes Vince loves.  When it comes to the others, how long did they have to put into the company before the first heavyweight title.  I bet it was more than the 8 months aj had into the company 

13 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Catching up on G1. Suzuki vs Tanahashi was my style of wrestling. Old school feel to it. Check it out, from the G1 Climax July 14th show. Like a modern day Austin vs HBK showdown.

Watching today’s card now. Ishii vs Ibushi was absolutely incredible. 

Ishii has 3 phenomenal matches already in the tournament 

Archived