All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

24 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And even when those guys were "at the top", Rock and Austin were still the faces of the company - even when they weren't holding the belt or in the main event - and every single one of the other guys you listed besides them would tell you that those two were the faces of the company.  That's the ironic subtlety of Taker's career is that while he's the heart and soul of the company and one of the most recognizable faces with a legacy second only to Hogan really (and some could righteously argue bigger than Hogan's if we're talking pure WWF/E legacy), he was never the face of the company to the outside world.  He was the face of the company within the company, but not to the mainstream.

But Austin and Rocks fanbases wernt the only ones allowed to enjoy the show. WWE overtook WCW the night Mankind won the belt off Rock. Each guy sported a massive fanbase. And Austin could drop down and face guys like Rykishi, Rock drop down and feud guys like Test. While Angle and Taker fought for the belt. We see nothing of the sorts like that today. Roman fought Lashley twice in 2 weeks, and shuffled right on to another title shot.

29 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds (and he's not even really badass Ogre from the first movie, he's really starting to become Ogre from the sequels where he becomes a nerd himself).

Most accurate description of anything ever.

33 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

yeah I do think he's cooled off as well and should have been crowned last summer... but he's still best candidate to be champion, i think

Yeah, I hate that they've turned Braun into this comedic character essentially. A badass comedic character, but he seemed more badass when he was a serious character. He's still over with the crowd, but I thought he was better before he turned completely babyface.

What do you guys think of Joe's chances of becoming champion? Styles has been champ for quite awhile now, so he's bound to lose the title one of these days, right?

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, I hate that they've turned Braun into this comedic character essentially. A badass comedic character, but he seemed more badass when he was a serious character. He's still over with the crowd, but I thought he was better before he turned completely babyface.

What do you guys think of Joe's chances of becoming champion? Styles has been champ for quite awhile now, so he's bound to lose the title one of these days, right?

I think it's time for crown Joe. It'd be much more interesting seeing AJ try to defend his family as a challenger than a champion

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

But Austin and Rocks fanbases wernt the only ones allowed to enjoy the show. WWE overtook WCW the night Mankind won the belt off Rock. Each guy sported a massive fanbase. And Austin could drop down and face guys like Rykishi, Rock drop down and feud guys like Test. While Angle and Taker fought for the belt. We see nothing of the sorts like that today. Roman fought Lashley twice in 2 weeks, and shuffled right on to another title shot.

You're acting like people who were fans of Rocky and Austin weren't also fans of Foley, Taker, or Angle.  There was a ton of intersection, in fact, it was far, far more likely that a fan of one was a fan of the others.

And Rock and Austin when they were feuding with those mid-card guys were pretty much always feuding primarily with Vince McMahon (who was and has been ever since he broke kayfabe on TV recognizing himself as the power behind the throne, the other "face of the company"), the mid-card guy just happened to be an avatar for Vince because you can't have Vince competing weekly or even really monthly - facing the boss was supposed to be a special attraction.  The Rikishi feud for Austin was a lone exception, and in that scenario it was a way to build Austin back into another feud with Rocky.

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

It really depends on two things IMO: 1) If DB signs a new contract (he still hasn't and I believe his current deal runs out in September) and 2) If they've really got a hair up their butts to have someone wipe CM Punk out of the record book with the longest title reign with the WWE Title.  Joe as a heel champion makes sense because he has the believability that he could take out Styles and because you know it's going to give you a return match in September and give you the kind of television intrigue that can carry you through a month-and-a-half-plus (possibly longer, considering that Joe and AJ are likely going to be on the SD Survivor Series team) period wherein there won't be a PPV with men's matches on it and thus (likely) no title defense - which is a lot easier to do with a "you're not worthy of facing me" heel champion than with a face champion.  If DB resigns, he's winning the belt at Mania, you can write that down in ink.  Now, I'd prefer to see him do that over someone like Joe or even AJ, but they could string this Miz feud out till Mania (and have Miz end up winning the title through some nefarious manner in the Elimination Chamber or some such gimmick match).

2 hours ago, Livewire said:

Randy Orton channeling his inner Aqib Talib and tearing off Hardy's necklace.

Good episode of Smackdown. Heck of a personal promo by Samoa Joe.

Good episode?

3 matches. 1 didnt last 5 minutes. The 2 other matches had commercial breaks jammed in them.  Less than 20 mins of actual wrestling shown. Commercials got over double the amount of time that matches got.

I love a good promo. But 3 matches...

11 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Hahaha no idea what Shinsuke is anymore beside like a weird rat character but this Orton/Nakamura/Hardy stuff has been pretty good 

He's in such a weird spot...I guess they will be doing a triple threat match at summerslam? There's not a babyface on SD right now for him..well if you don't count rusev but idk if they are sticking him with Almas or are they going to do Rusev vs english? 

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Good episode?

3 matches. 1 didnt last 5 minutes. The 2 other matches had commercial breaks jammed in them.  Less than 20 mins of actual wrestling shown. Commercials got over double the amount of time that matches got.

I love a good promo. But 3 matches...

it aint like tv matches are any good anyway 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He's in such a weird spot...I guess they will be doing a triple threat match at summerslam? There's not a babyface on SD right now for him..well if you don't count rusev but idk if they are sticking him with Almas or are they going to do Rusev vs english? 

I just wish they wouldn't make him look so weak but at least he's pulling everything off really well for whatever it is they're trying 

Archived