All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

No.  They're really not.  Braun's WWE is work is rudimentary at best.  He can sure shout a catchphrase, but to say that he has top-guy mic cred where Cesaro doesn't would be to argue that Warrior did because he yelled nonsensically, but loud.

I'm not saying Braun has top guy mic cred. I'm saying Cesaro doesn't and he's not 6'7 375 where mic skills matter a lot less.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

I'm not saying Braun has top guy mic cred. I'm saying Cesaro doesn't and he's not 6'7 375 where mic skills matter a lot less.

And I'm saying you clearly haven't watched enough Cesaro (he's more than just his WWE body of work) if that's the opinion you have.

Braun most certainly has top guy personality and charism - particularly for the non-WWE-programming stuff.  But Vince is never going to let someone his size show that kind of personality because he puts Andre on such a pedestal that he won't let those guys be touch that hallowed ground - except as a heel.  Genuinely, Braun's not far off from Big Show (athleticism, personality, personability outside of his "Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds" character) that he could - strings off - easily be Hogan on the mic (hokey, but very marketable).  But despite the build, he doesn't have the look Vince wants (the beard, the backwoods look, etc.).

You take the Vince tethers off a number of guys and you'll see their promo abilities are much better than what they're allowed to show.  Shockingly, Seth isn't one of those guys.  And I've followed him since he was Tyler Black showing up at PWG shows.  Austin was particularly unique in being able to be a rebel character (part of that was timing too) but also still able to exude that leading man quality.  Seth doesn't have that; he's more in the Punk vein where he needs to have a bit of that "outside-looking-in"/underdog quality to him and Vince isn't interested in selling that as the face of his product - and Seth doesn't play the top-guy babyface with near the believability of a Shawn or Hunter (which, until they or he are dead, will always be Vince's gold standard these days).

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And I'm saying you clearly haven't watched enough Cesaro (he's more than just his WWE body of work) if that's the opinion you have.

Braun most certainly has top guy personality and charism - particularly for the non-WWE-programming stuff.  But Vince is never going to let someone his size show that kind of personality because he puts Andre on such a pedestal that he won't let those guys be touch that hallowed ground - except as a heel.  Genuinely, Braun's not far off from Big Show (athleticism, personality, personability outside of his "Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds" character) that he could - strings off - easily be Hogan on the mic (hokey, but very marketable).  But despite the build, he doesn't have the look Vince wants (the beard, the backwoods look, etc.).

You take the Vince tethers off a number of guys and you'll see their promo abilities are much better than what they're allowed to show.  Shockingly, Seth isn't one of those guys.  And I've followed him since he was Tyler Black showing up at PWG shows.  Austin was particularly unique in being able to be a rebel character (part of that was timing too) but also still able to exude that leading man quality.  Seth doesn't have that; he's more in the Punk vein where he needs to have a bit of that "outside-looking-in"/underdog quality to him and Vince isn't interested in selling that as the face of his product - and Seth doesn't play the top-guy babyface with near the believability of a Shawn or Hunter (which, until they or he are dead, will always be Vince's gold standard these days).

That's the thing, that's not going to happen. If it did Dean Ambrose would be the no-brainer top guy in the company because his indy work was better than anyone in the companies. In the WWE main roster environment, Cesaro is a bad mic worker and could never be the face of the company.

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

With SD have more of the smaller guys in their main event title picture balor needs to go there and have a run with the belt. Wont get a chance on raw behind strowman, lashley, drew, lesnar.

Unless someone figures out to turn him heel, he's never going to get a run with main event title on any brand so long as Vince is calling the shots.  He doesn't get Finn's appeal in the same way that he doesn't get Bayley's appeal - he just sees them as goofy, smiley sorts that put up some good merch numbers with the younger and female demographic, but he'll never take seriously.  Finn's a firmly entrenched in "bunch of catchphrases" land the same way Sheamus is, but he doesn't have the benefit of the build that Sheamus has.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

That's the thing, that's not going to happen. If it did Dean Ambrose would be the no-brainer top guy in the company because his indy work was better than anyone in the companies. In the WWE main roster environment, Cesaro is a bad mic worker and could never be the face of the company.

I'm a huge Moxley fan.  His indy work was great.  It wasn't better than Adam Cole's, Kevin Owens' (Steen was legit getting death threats which is like 1980's Puerto Rico territory level believability), or Samoa Joe's (even if you discard Joe's TNA/Impact work entirely, his indy track record is pristine!).

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'm a huge Moxley fan.  His indy work was great.  It wasn't better than Adam Cole's, Kevin Owens' (Steen was legit getting death threats which is like 1980's Puerto Rico territory level believability), or Samoa Joe's (even if you discard Joe's TNA/Impact work entirely, his indy track record is pristine!).

I'll give you Steen (and Joe but that was forever ago) but I don't think Cole could touch Moxley. And I love me some Adam Cole...baybay. Plus you WWE would never build around a guy who looks like KO or Joe.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Thought it was hilarious TND came out like The Brood. The Brood will always have one of best entrances and theme song in history.

They should have come on the lift through the stage, but I get it.

Also, I can't help but feel like DB being made to tap to AJ was Vince trying to have the (petty) last jab at AJ for refusing to travel to Saudi Arabia.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I'll give you Steen (and Joe but that was forever ago) but I don't think Cole could touch Moxley. And I love me some Adam Cole...baybay. Plus you WWE would never build around a guy who looks like KO or Joe.

Joe was working ROH as recently as 3 years ago and in 2014 before that.  Ambrose has only been with WWE (FCW counts) for only 2 more years than (a couple months) than Joe's stint full-time stint in ROH prior to the most recent one.  If Joe's considered "forever ago" from the independents, so is Ambrose as they're both pretty much a decade removed.

So i guess the plan for Survivor Series is to do a champion vs champion card again. I hate this. It basically just creates a way to not have to push any storylines forward until the build for Royal Rumble and the road to wrestlemania, which unoffically starts after Survivor Series. 

Archived