All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

So who does Vince put the belt on? Strowman? Drew? Dean?

This actually works as a really easy way to hot shot Braun back to a babyface champion (that the crowd has wanted to cheer anyway) without any explanation - or at least it's a built in way to not have to need an explanation because they already broke kayfabe in Roman's title dropping speech.  This basically just reboots us to where we were going into Summer Slam where they were trying so desperately to turn Braun heel and the crowd wasn't having it.

And they've already started the build on this RAW where Drew will be Braun's first opponent (again, Drew doesn't lose much credibility in losing to a giant - especially a giant that will be coming off taking the title from Brock Lesnar).  There's a real part of me that wants to see them organically turn Braun heel as the champion (it can be done, even with a giant) and - it won't happen, or at least if it does it'll be a case where the Universal Championship plays second fiddle to the WWE title at Mania - Owens comes back in January/February to on the "welcome back" babyface push to challenge/take the title at Mania.

8 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Still went with the Heel Turn even with Roman announcing his Luekemia, huh? Seems like an absolutely terrible idea.

I love it. The one night you didn't expect it is the night they did it. It's good to show surprise... And I'm sure Roman wants the show to go on as normal.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that they made the heel turn, but storyline I think it was needed, and I think it makes a ton of sense for it to happen right then with the announcement as well, kind of the Ambrose trying to beat Rollins to the heel turn punch this time so he doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Surprised they were actually willing to do it, but in terms of helping the product, was absolutely the right move. It’s incredibly difficult in this era to turn a popular wrestler and not have the crowd cheer when it happens. You immediately get Ambrose real heat as a top heel and help Rollins get back to being arguably the top face on the brand (or potentially second with the apparent Braun turn) after he lost a little momentum with the Shield reunion.

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Surprised they were actually willing to do it, but in terms of helping the product, was absolutely the right move. It’s incredibly difficult in this era to turn a popular wrestler and not have the crowd cheer when it happens. You immediately get Ambrose real heat as a top heel and help Rollins get back to being arguably the top face on the brand (or potentially second with the apparent Brain turn) after he lost a little momentum with the Shield reunion.

I just hope the crowd - en mass - does give him the proper heel heat.  Call me skeptical, but there are too many fans out there nowadays who "prefer heels" but don't seem to grasp that the best thing you can do for a heel if you like them being a heel is to boo the everloving crap out of them and taunt them, jeer them.  DON'T.  CHEER.  HEELS.  They're actively trying to get booed, if you then turn around and cheer and chant for them because you like the character or the talent you're pretty much pissing in the face of the talent.

I think it was Bully Ray that pointed out that the reason why he and D'Von used to just immediate go THERE in ECW was because it didn't give the crowd any excuse but to boo them (because they were literally make sexual comments about the mothers of the people in the crowd and such) and if anyone tried to be a smart mark and cheer them for saying that stuff, they could then turn right around and make fun of them being a dumbass smart mark for being willing to cheer someone who just called his mother a youknowwhat.

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Also Lio Rush is annoying. I get that probably helps him being that way but Lashley still not getting a reaction even as a heel.

Part of that is because Lashley still doesn't know what to do as a heel when he's not talking (or when Lio is talking).  He just literally stands there staring like a hunk of clay. (as much as clay stares).  This would be one of those situations where, you know, if Brock had interest in anyone but himself and his money, he could offer tips.  But I think it's also an indication of where Bobby stands in the pecking order of guys in the back, but Heyman has been (seen, too) backstage in Gorilla and he's been working with Ronda on her promos.  It would be such a slight thing (as far as time) for him to give some pointers to Lashley on how to be the menacing, intimidating heel in the background.  And it's not like Lashley doesn't know how to be a cocky heel, I just think this is a case of him not really having any chemistry off-camera with Lio and, just in general, being a middling-at-best actor.

Archived