Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

List of GB Packer pre-draft visits....for those looking to advance/cram scout some possible picks before tomorrow

Player Position College Status
Allen, Dejon OT Hawaii  
Boyle, Tim QB Eastern Kentucky  
Burks, Oren LB Vanderbilt GB 3rd round
Cichy, Jack LB Wisconsin  
Cruikshank, Dane DB Arizona  
de Beer, Gerhard OT Arizona  
Donnerson, Kendall EDGE SE Missouri State  
Dooley, Garret EDGE Wisconsin  
Edmunds, Tremaine LB Virginia Tech 1st round
Falah, Nico C/G USC  
Ford, Mike CB SE Missouri State  
Henderson, Trayvon S Hawaii  
Hughes, Mike CB UCF 1st round
Jackson, Donte CB LSU 2nd round
Jamerson, Natrell S Wisconsin  
James, Derwin S Florida State 1st round
Kirkwood, Keith WR Temple  
Love, Mike EDGE USF  
Miller, Kolton OT UCLA 1st round
Moore, J'Mon WR Missouri  
Pettis, Dante WR Washington 2nd round
Ramesh, Austin FB Wisconsin  
Ramsey, Mike DL Duke  
Sheehy, Connor DL Wisconsin  
Taylor, Jullian DT Temple  
Valdez-Scantling, Marquez WR USF  
Vea, Vita DT Washington 1st round
Watson, Justin WR Penn  
Williams, Connor OL Texas 2nd round
Yelder, Deon TE Western Kentucky  

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m thinking what he means is don’t overthink it.  Sometimes there’s a fine line between upside and bust, and it’s more conventional to go with someone a little more clear-cut, if there is such a thing.

But if everyone at this stage is a lotto ticket, they're not really "clear-cut" imo. I think GB's unusual success in the 4th round has led some to have inflated expectations for r3-7 picks. 

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

List of GB Packer pre-draft visits....for those looking to advance/cram scout some possible picks before tomorrow

Allen, Dejon OT Hawaii  
Cichy, Jack LB Wisconsin  
Falah, Nico C/G USC  
Love, Mike EDGE USF  
Moore, J'Mon WR Missouri  
Ramsey, Mike DL Duke  
Watson, Justin WR Penn  
Yelder, Deon Te Western Kentucky  

Valdez is intriguing. I really like J'Mon but he might have a box of rocks connected to his neck. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Allen, Dejon OT Hawaii  
Cichy, Jack LB Wisconsin  
Falah, Nico C/G USC  
Love, Mike EDGE USF  
Moore, J'Mon WR Missouri  
Ramsey, Mike DL Duke  
Watson, Justin WR Penn  
Yelder, Deon TE Western Kentucky  

Interesting that Gute’s first two picks didn’t come to GB for pre-draft visits.  Whereas Edmunds, James, and Hughs all did!  Hmmm.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Interesting that Gute’s first two picks didn’t come to GB for pre-draft visits.  Whereas Edmunds, James, and Hughs all did!  Hmmm.

That's not uncommon.  Lots of guys, especially guys taken early, have little to no communication with the team that drafts them.

I think Jaire is the best CB in the draft, Jackson is incredible value, and Burks is a converted safety still learning to play LB that has awesome athleticism.  And we have an extra first next year in a class that has the potential to be incredible.  I am very happy right now.  

8 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

But if everyone at this stage is a lotto ticket, they're not really "clear-cut" imo. I think GB's unusual success in the 4th round has led some to have inflated expectations for r3-7 picks. 

Clear cut in what they bring to the table and what they play.  In other words, not converting a guard to a tackle, or a badminton player into a corner, or.....

Or, the guy has tremendous upside and is an athletic freak, but hasn’t really manifested that level of success in college.  It’s really about risk reward.  Go with the safe bet or the project with potential.  I’m not seeing any projects in our first three picks, and as you said, there’s really no such thing as a sure bet.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

That's not uncommon.  Lots of guys, especially guys taken early, have little to no communication with the team that drafts them.

I’d like to see the data on that for all teams before I’d agree with that.  Most teams do their due-diligence to the nth degree on a pick as valuable as round one.  Of course there’s a few exceptions.

7 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

We gave up 4.1 and our 5th to get this guy.  That is my complaint.  I watched his combine and have to admit it was phenomenal.  However he has no clue what he's doing out there.  So he is slow to read and react.  Until he learns how to play the game he is useless outside of special teams.  The kid is an athlete not a football player.  Had he been a late 5th or even a 6th round pick ok.  Don't like the trade.  Hopefully he'll be a quick study.  The polar opposite of Josh Jackson.  He is not the fastest but is instinctive as hell and knows how to play the game.  He'll make an immediate impact.  Burks may develop into something or bust out.  3rd rounders should be more than just a lotto ticket.  Expect some contributions from them.  For some odd reason the Packers do much better in the 4th.  Track record of our 3rd picks has been dismal. Hope we look back in a few years and someone pulls my post to show me how wrong I am.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I’d like to see the data on that for all teams before I’d agree with that.  Most teams do their due-diligence to the nth degree on a pick as valuable as round one.  Of course there’s a few exceptions.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a majority.  But a lot of guys say they are surprised by who takes them because of minimal or no communication.  But that doesn't mean teams don't do their due diligence even if they don't meet with them.  

Just now, MathMan said:

I already like Gute a hell of a lot better than TT

Amen.  TT was great for a long time, but I feel like the game kinda passed him by.

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

We gave up 4.1 and our 5th to get this guy.  That is my complaint.  I watched his combine and have to admit it was phenomenal.  However he has no clue what he's doing out there.  So he is slow to read and react.  Until he learns how to play the game he is useless outside of special teams.  The kid is an athlete not a football player.  Had he been a late 5th or even a 6th round pick ok.  Don't like the trade.  Hopefully he'll be a quick study.  The polar opposite of Josh Jackson.  He is not the fastest but is instinctive as hell and knows how to play the game.  He'll make an immediate impact.  Burks may develop into something or bust out.  3rd rounders should be more than just a lotto ticket.  Expect some contributions from them.  For some odd reason the Packers do much better in the 4th.  Track record of our 3rd picks has been dismal. Hope we look back in a few years and someone pulls my post to show me how wrong I am.

I disagree to an extent about him having no clue.  The guy played 3 different positions in 3 years at Vandy.  So yes, he is still learning.  But if you take that into account looking at his tape, he is very instinctive and picks things up very quickly.  

And he will be a special teams stud from D1.

One last mention.  This pertains to WR.  Everyone keeps forgetting about Yancey.  I still like this kid.  He wasn't ready for prime time last year but should be ready to contribute.  Current Packer WR.

Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Yancey, and Clark.  

Not the worst group.  Whoever we select will have to beat one of these guys out.  At this stage of the draft really don't know.

Archived