Packers Forum 2018 NFL Draft Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

3rd rounders should be more than just a lotto ticket.

but they aren't. 75% of them will never be long-term starters in the league, let alone good starters. at the end of 4 years, most fans will not view their favorite team's 3rd-round pick favorably. 

11 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

One last mention.  This pertains to WR.  Everyone keeps forgetting about Yancey.  I still like this kid.  He wasn't ready for prime time last year but should be ready to contribute.  Current Packer WR.

Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Yancey, and Clark.  

Not the worst group.  Whoever we select will have to beat one of these guys out.  At this stage of the draft really don't know.

It cracked me up that you added “Current Packer WR”.  Prolly cuz he’s been so far off everyone’s radar that it’s worth a reminder.  LOL.  Hope he does pan out, and that Clark learns to use his physical attributes to his advantage.

Andrew Brown, Siran Neal and the Long Snapper for senior bowl and I won't say a bad word about Gute for 3 years. This is where we file our draft crushes for our GM to read right?

Also, told ya'll to hop on the Trevor Davis train back when he was blowing up the news cycle.

10 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Andrew Brown, Siran Neal and the Long Snapper for senior bowl and I won't say a bad word about Gute for 3 years. This is where we file our draft crushes for our GM to read right?

Also, told ya'll to hop on the Trevor Davis train back when he was blowing up the news cycle.

So you're the one to blame for Davis

40 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I kind of want Akrum Wadley on day 3. If he is there in the 5th. Is that weird? I know we have RBs but I feel he’d be great in GB

Not weird at all. He would be a great complement to Jones and Williams. 

Counting on Montgomery for anything as a RB at this point is foolish.

Does that mean Spriggs is the only offensive player we drafted in the first 3 rounds who is still on their rookie deal ? Going to have to hit on late round picks because the offense is getting old and full of late round picks and UDFA. You've got to think people are taking for granted that Rodgers means good offense.

11 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Does that mean Spriggs is the only offensive player we drafted in the first 3 rounds who is still on their rookie deal ? Going to have to hit on late round picks because the offense is getting old and full of late round picks and UDFA. You've got to think people are taking for granted that Rodgers means good offense.

Monty too. Hopefully we fix the defense for good this year and we can add some good talent at OL and WR next year.

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

Monty too. Hopefully we fix the defense for good this year and we can add some good talent at OL and WR next year.

Its too late though really.

Given how long it takes Rodgers to bond with Receivers , we should have drafted Nelson's replacement last year and Cobb's this year. Definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same mistakes thinking something different will happen - you may get lucky but having a go at throwing 5th rounders at the receiver position isn't a sensible strategy. The team lives and dies on Rodgers so the lack of talent at receiver is a serious problem now. 

It normally takes 3 years before you get the benefit of a draft. So with us not taking an offensive player in the first two days two years in a row - the combination of a lack of talent and ageing players on offense could be desperate in a couple of years. 

Ultimately I agree with BPA so if these were the players Gute thought were the best then that's fine. I'm just hoping there wasn't an intent to 100% neglect the offense - there needs to be balance otherwise you have to keep your tail. 

They clearly don't think our pass rush is an issue (I think it's a bigger issue than they do) and they think the back end is solely where all the problems lie on Defense. I know we have several players at the pass rushing position but Perry is injury prone and Clay well he isn't anywhere near the player he was and Biegel is completely unproven due to Injury. I've always been a believer you need both, and if a QB has a certain amount of time protected the coverage will eventually break down and gaps will open up even if your secondary has talent and can perform and that will be a bigger problem league wide as you are seeing more mobile extending the play QB's.

Having spent all this draft capital on that position over the years if this doesn't work out then questions need to be asked.

"For the Packers to get such a steal at 45 not only underscores what a glaring need the team had at cornerback but also how a situational the draft can be. Few could have predicted Jackson would have been around in the middle of the second round, but the Packers pounced. With that in mind, Day 3 holds a cache of picks for Green Bay and they could use them to trade up and add mid-round selections or simply add a host of high-upside talents and see who sticks. Gutekunst will have seven more picks Saturday to complete his draft more than enough ammunition to turn that into multiple fourth-rounders if he so chooses. That could mean multiple players from this list of the best players still on the board"

1. Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida State — The Packers can’t go full 1999 and take cornerbacks with their first three picks but could go 34 with the big, playmaking McFadden.

2. Obo Okoronkwo EDGE Oklahoma — Green Bay has yet to address a need many thought would be a priority at the top and Okoronkwo may be undersized, but he’s a physical, athletic and productive pass rusher.

3. Josh Sweat EDGE Florida State — Sweat’s medicals after a devastating knee injury at Florida State must be holding him back. At what point does he become worth the risk?

4. Tyrell Crosby OL Oregon — If the Packers want to address their offensive line depth, Crosby is a Day 2 talent with experience who could play right tackle or guard.

5. Maurice Hurst Jr DT Michigan — Another player whose medical status drove him down, Hurst would be long gone if not for a heart condition that kept him out of the combine. At this point, it’s worth wondering if he’ll be drafted at all.

6. Tony Brown DB Alabama — Brown could a combo player for the Packers as a hybrid corner/safety and has the kind of athletic tools the front office desires.

7. DaeSean Hamilton WR Penn State — Polished and proficient, Hamilton could come in on Day 1 and be the Packers third receiver having played for former Green Bay receivers coach James Franklin.

8. Equanimous St. Brown WR Notre Dame — St. Brown hasn’t produced to the level of his talent, but at this point in the draft, it’s worth taking a flyer on a player with his size/speed ratio and soft hands.

9. Hercules Mata’afa DL Washington State — He didn’t test well at the combine and he’s a wonky position fit, but all Mata’afa did in the Pac-12 was wreck offenses. A creative defensive coordinator could find a way to use him.

10. Akrum Wadley RB Iowa — I’ll die on Wadley Hill, I don’t care. I watch him at Iowa and see Dion Lewis 2.0 and the Titans just paid a lot of money for that guy. He has serious make-you-miss ability and passing game versatility even if his blocking is atrocious.

11. Duke Ejiofor EDGE Wake Forest

12. Deon Cain WR Clemson

13. Kyle Lauletta QB Richmond

14. Holton Hill CB Texas

15. Luke Falk QB Washington State

16. Micah Kiser LB Virginia

17. Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech

18. Trenton Thompson DT Georgia

19. Anthony Averett CB Alabama

20. Ian Thomas TE Indiana

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/4/27/17294068/packers-draft-forecast-best-players-available-on-day-3-2018-nfl-draft

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

They clearly don't think our pass rush is an issue (I think it's a bigger issue than they do) and they think the back end is solely where all the problems lie on Defense. I know we have several players at the pass rushing position but Perry is injury prone and Clay well he isn't anywhere near the player he was and Biegel is completely unproven due to Injury. I've always been a believer you need both, and if a QB has a certain amount of time protected the coverage will eventually break down and gaps will open up even if your secondary has talent and can perform and that will be a bigger problem league wide as you are seeing more mobile extending the play QB's.

Having spent all this draft capital on that position over the years if this doesn't work out then questions need to be asked.

Then they are idiots which I hope isnt the case. I think we just went by the board and the pass rusher class is very weak. We should be able to grab and few Day 3 guys and hope one sticks, but at this point I'd resign Brooks (if healthy) or add another stop gap player for 2018. For me, thats a must at this point. We have the money so it shouldn't be a problem. 

IMO the only WR left on the board who helps Day 1 is Hamilton. After him you are looking at project players. I'd try to move up again (use our 4th compensatory and first 5th) to try to go get him. Either way, I will be thoroughly disappointed if Gute doesnt add a veteran WR between now and camp. 

Going into camp with Allison as perimeter WR 2 is almost as bad as MD Jennings starting at safety.

Archived