Draft Thread

BigD1123

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Don’t be shocked if the Raiders strongly consider taking another tackle in the second round tomorrow. Gruden really, really wants to upgrade the position.

Yeah let's go all in and upgrade the position in the weakest tackle draft in a decade , ignoring  the giant stench that is our defense. 

I bet the Seahawks are laughing their ***** off when they saw who we picked. Tom Cable written all over it

Just got back from watching Avengers and can say it has definitely made me forget about the draft for a few hours.  Now back to the madness.  

1.  Martavuos Bryant:  Love the player hate the contract and suspensions.  For everyone talking about getting a comp pick please just stop it.  If he blows up and gets a great contract somewhere else the highest comp pick I see is a 4th.  He will not reach the 3rd round zone because of the risk of suspensions.  Good if he is clean for one year but it is going to take longer to earn that trust.  Now if we were to trade pick 75 for a pick next year we would get a 2nd in return.  The 2nd round pick in the same slot as 75 is the 43rd (470 points).  The highest comp pick in the 4th is 133rd (39 points).  The difference is 431 points which would be the 47th pick.  A second round pick for a 1 year rental.  Stupid any way you look at it.  Even with the first comp pick in the 3rd the point difference is still the 54th pick.  One last issue.  Why did we not at least hold firm to giving them the 79th pick just to have a moral victory.

2. Kolton Miller - I did not pay much attention to him thru this process so I will not say anything about him but BPA was certainly thrown out the window with this pick.  I also have an issue with looking to your O-line coach to have that much pull in the draft room.  For anyone saying that NE or another team wanted to move up and take Miller look back at my earlier posts about RM's drafting that predicted that he will lock into a player and reach because a rumor will say someone else is looking at them.  It happens every time he reaches.  I really believe the other FO's put these rumors out before we pick and just to have a laugh as we reach.

3. Do we need to lose every trade?  I have not seen a single trade where I thought we got a good deal.  The biggest issue I have with RM, I am a RM supporter, is that we never get good value until late in the draft.  We seem to get hosed in trades and picks.  I bet if the Team allowed this forum to run the draft next year at least the first half of the draft would look better but RM would hit on more late round picks.  It is great that RM and his staff do good late in the draft but I would rather have a GM that hits early rather than late.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Just got back from watching Avengers and can say it has definitely made me forget about the draft for a few hours.  Now back to the madness.  

1.  Martavuos Bryant:  Love the player hate the contract and suspensions.  For everyone talking about getting a comp pick please just stop it.  If he blows up and gets a great contract somewhere else the highest comp pick I see is a 4th.  He will not reach the 3rd round zone because of the risk of suspensions.  Good if he is clean for one year but it is going to take longer to earn that trust.  Now if we were to trade pick 75 for a pick next year we would get a 2nd in return.  The 2nd round pick in the same slot as 75 is the 43rd (470 points).  The highest comp pick in the 4th is 133rd (39 points).  The difference is 431 points which would be the 47th pick.  A second round pick for a 1 year rental.  Stupid any way you look at it.  Even with the first comp pick in the 3rd the point difference is still the 54th pick.  One last issue.  Why did we not at least hold firm to giving them the 79th pick just to have a moral victory.

2. Kolton Miller - I did not pay much attention to him thru this process so I will not say anything about him but BPA was certainly thrown out the window with this pick.  I also have an issue with looking to your O-line coach to have that much pull in the draft room.  For anyone saying that NE or another team wanted to move up and take Miller look back at my earlier posts about RM's drafting that predicted that he will lock into a player and reach because a rumor will say someone else is looking at them.  It happens every time he reaches.  I really believe the other FO's put these rumors out before we pick and just to have a laugh as we reach.

3. Do we need to lose every trade?  I have not seen a single trade where I thought we got a good deal.  The biggest issue I have with RM, I am a RM supporter, is that we never get good value until late in the draft.  We seem to get hosed in trades and picks.  I bet if the Team allowed this forum to run the draft next year at least the first half of the draft would look better but RM would hit on more late round picks.  It is great that RM and his staff do good late in the draft but I would rather have a GM that hits early rather than late.

1.Bryant has borderline WR1 type of talent. At 26, you don't acquire a player with his ceiling for anything less than what we gave up. Also we gave up 79, not 75.

2. I don't like Miller, but he probably would have gone in the mid to late round 1 anyway from all reports I read.

3. It was good value considering the alternative for us.

I'm hoping Miller turns out to be Joe Thomas 2.0. 

But the problem is, we took the guy at 15. I get that Gruden wants to upgrade the T position, but is Miller really THAT MUCH BETTER than some of the OT's still on the board? I think we could have gotten someone of equal value in the 2nd, possibly the 3rd round. We had needs and there were still some absolute studs on the board. 

As for the Bryant pickup... well, here's to hoping. I've been all over adding a WR and keeping Roberts off the field. But not like this. I don't like Bryant's attitude and he's a suspension waiting to happen IMO. 1st round type WR talent if his head is screwed on straight, but I doubt it is. I would have rather shot for a WR in the 3rd that we can keep longer than a 1 year lease where we have to hope and pray past problems don't rear their ugly head. 

Overall, I suppose the upside for both is there to make these 2 moves look spectacular. But I'm not holding my breath.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1.Bryant has borderline WR1 type of talent. At 26, you don't acquire a player with his ceiling for anything less than what we gave up. Also we gave up 79, not 75.

2. I don't like Miller, but he probably would have gone in the mid to late round 1 anyway from all reports I read.

3. It was good value considering the alternative for us.

1.  Bryant has amazing talent but has averaged 3.5 catches per game and 53 yards over his career.  This is with a perfect QB for his skill set.  He will now have a QB that looks scared and unwilling to allow plays to develop most of the time.  There are plenty of players with talent.  Thank goodness for small victories although I have seen it both ways now.

2. Do you think it is a winning philosophy to reach for your biggest need or take BPA while it is still an area of need?  First round should be BPA if your decision is between a mid 20's guy and a top ten.

3. If 31 other GMs are not willing to give fair value you stay and take your top rated player.  If you believe you can get your top rated player 15 picks later then I would reevaluate my scouting department and take my second ranked player.

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yeah let's go all in and upgrade the position in the weakest tackle draft in a decade, ignoring  the giant stench that is our defense. 

I bet the Seahawks are laughing their ***** off when they saw who we picked. Tom Cable written all over it

Right tackle and tackle depth, overall, was the single biggest question mark going into the draft. You may not like the player, but if Miller was rated highly by the staff, I support the pick. Taking a tackle in the first also frees up the team to attack the draft's depth in these subsequent rounds.

The bolded simply isn't true.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Right tackle and tackle depth, overall, was the single biggest question mark going into the draft. You may not like the player, but if Miller was rated highly by the staff, I support the pick. Taking a tackle in the first also frees up the team to attack the draft's depth in these subsequent rounds.

The bolded simply isn't true.

The Raiders drafted defense in the top three rounds of the last two draft.

I was dreading this for the past week. Maybe that’s what makes it a little easier to swallow. I’m skeptical but hopeful. Couple of things to consider:

1.) One of the few pure left tackles. McGlinchey prob a rt, Williams and Crosby have been talked about as guards. Later round guys prob need more time 

2.) Did we reach? Yes, but this position is really weak right now for us.

3.) If we can get guice or hurst, I can rationalize it as I would have taken either at 15. We are eyeing somebody. Maybe it was Sony?

4.) Premium positions: qb, lt, de, cb all go a little higher.

Again, not excited about it but going to cautiously trust the process here 

This experience has taught me that draft social media is too emotional (my self included). Fact is, we don't evaluate talent for a living. We soak up what the media says, "research" draft twitter and youtube and mostly form our assumption based somewhere in there.

Easy to hate the Miller pick because he wasn't highly touted in social media circles. But he fills one of the biggest needs for 2018 and beyond. Maybe he flops or maybe he's like the C Dallas "reached" on in 2013 who is now a 4 time pro bowl player and all-pro.

One things for sure. Gruden zero'd in on fixing the right side of the Oline and traded for a deep threat. He's going to open this offense up and throw the ball around the yard.

Trust the process is all we can do.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

According to Vic Tafur the Rm side and his team wanted Derwin James and Gruden “ faction “ if you will wanted and took Miller

Archived