Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

Baker was protected well in 17 from needing to make throws where he's getting hit. That's good coaching. Definitely throws out there though where he makes those tough throws. Don't want any QB to have to do that too often though.

1 hour ago, matt27j said:

Baker was protected well in 17 from needing to make throws where he's getting hit. That's good coaching. Definitely throws out there though where he makes those tough throws. Don't want any QB to have to do that too often though.

I also believe Baker had such good protection to the throw ball because he knew exactly how to call protections and change protections when needed. I want to say during an interview with Riley he stated how much power baker had and calling protections was one of them. Also if he has photographic memory. Being able to remember the way a defense lines up from previous blitzes would be a huge benefit for him in calling protections. 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Lack of experience playing against something resembling an nfl pass rush and coverage.

Two things first...

rosen Darnold and Allen all lacked experienced playing against something resembling an nfl pass rush and coverage. No one in the pac10 is has a crazy defense, Allen in that aspect is a No. Baker at least faced Ohio st and UoF. 

Also so you said Baker thrives on being comfortable. Well I sure hope so. It’s the OCs Job to make the offense as comfortable as possible for the QB. I hope Haley makes it very comfortable for baker. Hell Watson looked great this past season because BoB incorporated some of his college concepts to make him comfortable. he then tears up the league for a handful of games.

How comfortable do you think Baker was knowing from ‘16 to ‘17 he had to basically replace all of his skill played around him, I believe one linemen, and his HC? What did Baker do? He made everyone around him comfortable. You couldn’t tell his playmakers were all green. None of them looked scared of tOSU. Lincoln Reilly looked like a seasoned HC. 

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After last year I think it’s fair to say teams likely undervalued Case coming out.  They missed him entirely, and he proved them wrong.

Should teams do that again?

no. But Case isn't a number 1 overall type player, and I think Case+ is not either. 

Case Keenums coach said he should of gone in the first round, which looks to be true.

Baker is a first round talent, 

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

One thing I saw watching tape of Baker is that his eyes are elite at looking off defenders. He did it like a master, that is huge in the NFL. 

Everyone who wrote off how open his receivers were failed to acknowledge that he may have been part of that, just like how they wrote off his clean pocket without acknowledging his protection adjustments at the line.

Just one of the many little things that he does that made him QB1.

5 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yes indeed. And I got lambasted for calling him a stronger armed Garcia. It’s the perfect comparison. 

I think he will be better mentally than Garcia, and a much more charismatic leader of men than he ever dreamed of being.  Really the similarities end at size decent mobility and good acuracy.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Time will tell.  Guys with great builds and big arms have failed before too.

Mayfield’s physical talent is great, save height, which is fairly irrelevant.  I can’t think of a time I watched a game and said “If only he was an inch and a half taller he’d have completed that pass.”

His arm is absolutely top 10 legit.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

60mph at the combine, that’s better than Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Trubisky, Bortles, Newton, Flacco...

Great post, really excellent post. It's human nature to equate a short guy with a noodle arm(Frye, McCoy etc) + Cleveland weather= disaster. Mayfield though has plenty arm strength, which is more important than the height issue. I'm slowly getting on board with Baker

1 minute ago, Keylargobrownie said:

Great post, really excellent post. It's human nature to equate a short guy with a noodle arm(Frye, McCoy etc) + Cleveland weather= disaster. Mayfield though has plenty arm strength, which is more important than the height issue. I'm slowly getting on board with Baker

The best part is how accurate he is with that strong of an arm is impressive. You look at some of the most accurate guys to come out of college, they had some weaker arms for example Colt, Moore, Brennan, Dorsey, and etc

Archived