Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

@candyman93 I rewatched Ohio State 2017 last night because that was referenced as an example of his pro ability against legitimate nfl style pass rush and coverage. And often compared statistically to Sam's game vs them to show why Baker is so much better.

I tried man... but I don't see it. Minimal number of nfl throws. The TDs were two mega wide open throws over the middle, and the third was a nice little scramble drill and throw but not exactly the conventional sort of TD pass you see in the nfl often.

I saw the stats put out about how he has the smallest percentage of passes batted down. I wasn't surprised by this because you shouldn't be having passes batted down if you've slid the pocket out or booted into space where nobody is close. But against Ohio State he had two passes batted down in the first two drives. Just like the Senior Bowl (which I know people like to say means nothing), but it was the same thing in that too, enveloped by Davenport and other NFL style dudes and resulted in batted pass, sack, late throw over the middle because the defenders are faster than he is used to.

Compared to Sam's supposedly awful Ohio State game (by box score), the disparity in hanging tough in the pocket and making bucket sideline throws was massive.

I'm not even trying to sound like a pessimist for the sake of it, I'm just calling it like I see it.

We bought into his grandiose personality and 'winning' mentality that set him apart from other less heralded spread dudes with similar stats... without even realising that Sam Darnold had a higher college win percentage.

I guess Sam just wasn't loud and brash enough of a leader.

45 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

@candyman93 I rewatched Ohio State 2017 last night because that was referenced as an example of his pro ability against legitimate nfl style pass rush and coverage. And often compared statistically to Sam's game vs them to show why Baker is so much better.

I tried man... but I don't see it. Minimal number of nfl throws. The TDs were two mega wide open throws over the middle, and the third was a nice little scramble drill and throw but not exactly the conventional sort of TD pass you see in the nfl often.

I saw the stats put out about how he has the smallest percentage of passes batted down. I wasn't surprised by this because you shouldn't be having passes batted down if you've slid the pocket out or booted into space where nobody is close. But against Ohio State he had two passes batted down in the first two drives. Just like the Senior Bowl (which I know people like to say means nothing), but it was the same thing in that too, enveloped by Davenport and other NFL style dudes and resulted in batted pass, sack, late throw over the middle because the defenders are faster than he is used to.

Compared to Sam's supposedly awful Ohio State game (by box score), the disparity in hanging tough in the pocket and making bucket sideline throws was massive.

I'm not even trying to sound like a pessimist for the sake of it, I'm just calling it like I see it.

We bought into his grandiose personality and 'winning' mentality that set him apart from other less heralded spread dudes with similar stats... without even realising that Sam Darnold had a higher college win percentage.

We get it you love your Sam Darnold colored glasses. 

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yep. Plus, we know that one of the teams picking later LOVED Mayfield. Peter King referenced how the team who offered Cleveland a #1 next year (his guess was Arizona) was gunning for Mayfield, hence why they had to decline. We also know the Patriots spent time with Baker one week ago, during some "secret" meeting, and there's reason to believe the Pats would have traded up for him if he slid past 4.

4 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Ehh I don’t really buy that, for one if Darnold was their top QB and EVERYBODY knew they were going to take a QB why wouldn’t their big board have the QBs at the top and Stephen A Smith on his radio show asked him specifically was Darnold the top QB on thier board and he danced around the question and ended by saying that he was “pretty high on our list”. I would think that if Darnold was thier top QB that Bowles would have no trouble just saying yea he was our top QB

I didn't hear that Stephen A. Interview until a few minutes ago. 

I'm telling you man... I know for a fact that the only guys the Jets had eyes for were Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen. Mayfield was a distant 3rd... and was a smoke screen. This is consensus amongst honorably flipped scouts from the Jets who have no reason to lie. Bowles is the type of guy that doesn't give much in an interview and doesn't reveal the board even after the fact because it can let team know which sources of "leaked" info are valid or not going forward.... this is why GMs and coaches are often so cagey about where they had players picked even if they were able to get a player they had at the top of the board.

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

lol right. because i can't just be calling it like I see it.

Or how the VAST MAJORITY of expert consensus on traditional scouting analysis of the Quarterbacking and key-winning play traits of the position....LOL

Now, if one liked Darnold over Mayfield... we are the crazy types... "BOW TO YOUR PFF QB GOD YOU CHARLATAN AND HEATHEN!!!"

25 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Or how the VAST MAJORITY of expert consensus on traditional scouting analysis of the Quarterbacking and key-winning play traits of the position....LOL

Now, if one liked Darnold over Mayfield... we are the crazy types... "BOW TO YOUR PFF QB GOD YOU CHARLATAN AND HEATHEN!!!"

Yeah we have one poster who said Darnold is mediocre (and not many can even see his posts) no one else has thrown shade on Darnold. I'll state facts but I had all three QBs bunched together, I just state facts against all of you guys who had Mayfield way way way below Darnold. Mayfield throws the passes that make up 90% of an NFL QB's passes better than Darnold. Darnold may close that gap eventually and he does have some better traits than Mayfield but to discount the majority of throws that Mayfield makes because of what they are when they are actually the majority of throws made in the NFL just seems like an agenda against him. Meanwhile any facts stated as negatives against Darnold and eye tests or some other excuses override it. Darnold wasn't a perfect prospect, not really close. Mayfield isn't either. We'll see who they become but neither were Luck or Peyton.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Or I guess that sams wonky wind up, refusal to work on that wonky wind up, pedestrian arm strength, tendency for turnovers, lapses in judgement, and shattered confidence were just too much.

24 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah we have one poster who said Darnold is mediocre (and not many can even see his posts) no one else has thrown shade on Darnold. I'll state facts but I had all three QBs bunched together, I just state facts against all of you guys who had Mayfield way way way below Darnold. Mayfield throws the passes that make up 90% of an NFL QB's passes better than Darnold. Darnold may close that gap eventually and he does have some better traits than Mayfield but to discount the majority of throws that Mayfield makes because of what they are when they are actually the majority of throws made in the NFL just seems like an agenda against him. Meanwhile any facts stated as negatives against Darnold and eye tests or some other excuses override it. Darnold wasn't a perfect prospect, not really close. Mayfield isn't either. We'll see who they become but neither were Luck or Peyton.

Everyone sees my posts.  Don’t believe the traumatized “ignored” posts.  The biggest one of those literally hangs on every word.  He was constantly posting about me until I made that observation which is quite hilarious.  All l had to do to destroy that poor creature is laugh at him for demanding concrete proof for a projection of an event that was a year away.  That said, time proved that projection exactly right, as it usually does when I make them.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well it comes down to the FO thinking Baker is the best QB prospect and the coaches thinking Darnold is the best QB prospect. I think I would trust this FO on who they think is the best QB prospect over the coaches. 

Simply not the case.  Hue literally was gushing over baker ever since HEE HEE.  Be thankful that you could not see his shorts.  I believe the pick truly was a consensus. 

For a balance of potential and floor id still take Darnold. Rosen next.

Mayfield may just be the better fit for CLE. Maybe he doesnt end up the best qb in the class but it's a team game. 

Cleveland doesnt have patience. Darnold would never get the time or support needed to develop. Just like i doubt wentz would've succeeded here. 

Baker doesnt need our love. He thrives on hatred and doubt. You can also see the growth in confidence and decision making this last season.

Give him a year he'll be like a vet and already understand the importance of a quick passing game. That's not how Darnold wants to play and why it may take him a few years. He wouldn't get that amount of time in Cle.

38 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Simply not the case.  Hue literally was gushing over baker ever since HEE HEE.  Be thankful that you could not see his shorts.  I believe the pick truly was a consensus. 

I truly believe so too. I was just going off what the other poster was saying

Archived