Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

It's what my brother in law calls the "Con-process".... some scouts think you go off of the tape exclusively as long as a prospect has no red flags, leadership, and youth... that's Darnold... Baker can light up a room... Aaron Rodgers can't to save his life... Baker's the raging fire that you can see.... Darnold's the violently boiling teapot you can't tell has fire and energy inside until it steams... if the film tells you one thing and that players the best on film, is the youngest by a mile... has quiet leadership and will develop that skill along with knowledge of the game over time ... you go with that guy...

These meatheads got blinded by the feel goodness of alpha-outward leaders... it's ridiculous..

I knew HighSmith was all Baker after the combine per my b.i.l., but I had no idea he preferred Darnold based on the film.

This type of stuff is even more disgusting, maddening, and ridiculous... I don't think I can read another thing... lol

I love reading your posts. You have great knowledge and insight. It's enjoyable to read the insider perspective from your brother in law. You were right on the money all along about Browns top decision makers ("meatheads") wanting Mayfield. With all due respect, how come your brother in law is now without a team while the "meatheads" were highly sought after senior personnel guys this offseason? With the Browns recent history of misses on QBs and taking players with attitude issues (JFF, Gilbert etc), I'm not sure it's a bad thing that our current brass is doing their inside-out due diligence on players character and passion for the game, giving strong consideration wonderlic and white-board results etc. 

6 minutes ago, dawgattack said:

I love reading your posts. You have great knowledge and insight. It's enjoyable to read the insider perspective from your brother in law. You were right on the money all along about Browns top decision makers ("meatheads") wanting Mayfield. With all due respect, how come your brother in law is now without a team while the "meatheads" were highly sought after senior personnel guys this offseason? With the Browns recent history of misses on QBs and taking players with attitude issues (JFF, Gilbert etc), I'm not sure it's a bad thing that our current brass is doing their inside-out due diligence on players character and passion for the game, wonderlic and white-board results etc. 

In the business, when there are mass firings and major personnel changes in organizations that had a long tenure (i.e., 11 years with Mr. Reese and the Giants; Mr. Reese was actually with the Giants since 1998 I think), those scouts and personnel assistants usually have put down roots family-wise and they are not as apt to take a job right away. Additionally, the landscape of GMs and personnel departments in terms of whose in power that they have relationships with has changed dramatically since they've last hit the NFL scouting personnel market.

That's the case with my b.i.l., as he worked his way up for the Giants and put roots down for over 12 years. My, niece is entering her Junior year in high school, so their family is going to wait to get back in the business until her senior year and the next hiring cycle where my b.i.l. feels that some close respected friends/colleagues will be up for job opportunities that will have some chance of long term stability.  Much like Scot McCloughan, people like my b.i.l. stay connected to various organizations via generating scouting reports or giving their insights on the pro personnel side by scouting pre-existing NFL talent.

My only problem is that this FO undervalued imo Sam Darnold's competitive fire and leadership powers in favor of a personality archetype and outward emotion that makes one feel-good and easily is recognizable... if one thinks the film is better of Darnold than why can't he be an Aaron Rodgers type of leader... I respect using all available information (interviews, workouts..) to help aid in decision-making, but prospects are trained up to ace these things and players with high EQ like Baker can sell the hell out of themselves... it's funny because Ted Thompson used say "our board is set when we're done watching film as long as there are no red flags".... that's a colloquialism used in the scouting community.... somehow Dorsey and co. have rejected that...well.. at least Highsmith... Sam had no red flags, and the best film... but didn't have the outward leadership style that football traditionalists got all hot and bothered over... and it hurt him in the process...

We'll see how **** works itself out...

Was able to rewatch a couple full games last night. I’ve said this before but Baker is sooooo efficient with the ball. Usually makes the right decision. When I watch him I don’t get nervous about him making the wrong throw. 

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Was able to rewatch a couple full games last night. I’ve said this before but Baker is sooooo efficient with the ball. Usually makes the right decision. When I watch him I don’t get nervous about him making the wrong throw. 

Yeah, he simply makes the read and makes the throw.  Pretty nice tbh.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:59 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Omg you guys are such babies. Get over it. Smart football people that do this for a living picked someone you, a couch potato scout, didn't like at #1. If you're actually done with the team, stop posting in here.

You're wrong about Baker. He's going to be a very good NFL QB. Russell Wilson is a spot-on comparison in my opinion.

He doesnt play anything like Wilson though. Wilson plays like Manziel who turned out to be good. Baker plays far more like Brees style.

I think people get too caught up in extremes. People think he is either going to be the max (Brees) or the min (Manziel). There is obviously a middle of the road there that splits both of them. I think Baker will be good, but never to the level of Brees. 

I think a guy who he could have a similar career to that is reasonable issssssssssss....... Jeff Garcia.

Archived