Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

Anyone catch Peter King's newest MMQB?

Includes a story of how Gregg Williams advocated for Ward over Chubb for @Mind Character's previously specified reasons. I liked how Gregggg spun it. He basically said that a lack of tight coverage actually hurt Myles Garrett's production because receivers getting open sooner meant less time for the QB to hold onto the ball. I thought this was an extremely interesting perspective.

I think the most fascinating excerpt was about the possibility of the Browns trading #4. Only one team offered a first rounder for next year...in order for that deal to come to fruition, they wanted Baker Mayfield...

There's also some nice background behind @DizzyDean's new favorite expression.

HEE HEE

51 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Anyone catch Peter King's newest MMQB?

Includes a story of how Gregg Williams advocated for Ward over Chubb for @Mind Character's previously specified reasons. I liked how Gregggg spun it. He basically said that a lack of tight coverage actually hurt Myles Garrett's production because receivers getting open sooner meant less time for the QB to hold onto the ball. I thought this was an extremely interesting perspective.

I think the most fascinating excerpt was about the possibility of the Browns trading #4. Only one team offered a first rounder for next year...in order for that deal to come to fruition, they wanted Baker Mayfield...

There's also some nice background behind @DizzyDean's new favorite expression.

HEE HEE

I was kind of bummed with the Mayfield and Ward introductory press conference.  I knew that one of the reporters would ask about that, and I was not disappointed, they did.  I was hoping Baker would belt out the battle cry, but he barely touched on it and moved on.

For what it’s worth I think Baker was the #1 QB on the jets board. Todd Bowles was asked on two separate occasions was Sam Darnold the #1 QB on the big board and he pretty much dodged the question both times. I could be reaching but if Darnold wasn’t thier #1 guy it had to be Mayfield 

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

Apart from the fact that the FO "won", it was the exact opposite in that the GB FO wanted the best QB prospect and the coaches didn't, vs. here the coaches wanted the best QB prospect and the FO didn't.

Well it comes down to the FO thinking Baker is the best QB prospect and the coaches thinking Darnold is the best QB prospect. I think I would trust this FO on who they think is the best QB prospect over the coaches. 

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

But he has been heavy zone forever. He was this way with the Saints, he was this way with the Rams, and he's this way with us now. I really don't think his scheme is going to change--he's pretty rigidly a zone defense coach. Luckily Ward can do both, but Williams' scheme fits more with a dude like Josh Jackson, who is a perfect example of what he likes in his defenses--a ball-hawking big zone CB.

No I didn't realize that. I try to avoid watching Pittsburgh as much as possible. Makes me sick. But yea I didn't realize they transitioned to more of a gun team. I guess it makes sense given their use of 3-4 WR's and a lack of use from their TE's recently.

Lack of use of the TE? I want to say the TE has been used quite a lot in Haley’s offense since he has been there. James was used a lot the last two years No where near the usage of say bell and browns but a decent amount of a TE of James caliber. I think Haley is going to love using a TE like Njoku. Also rumors were the Steelers were Targeting Njoku as well in that draft. 

16 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

For what it’s worth I think Baker was the #1 QB on the jets board. Todd Bowles was asked on two separate occasions was Sam Darnold the #1 QB on the big board and he pretty much dodged the question both times. I could be reaching but if Darnold wasn’t thier #1 guy it had to be Mayfield 

I've seen a lot of Browns fans going with this false report as it feels good, but it's just not true.

1. Bowles was referring to other players being ranked at the top (Saquon, Chubb, Ward, Nelson, etc).... he wasn't talking about QBs.

2. The Jets number 1 QB was Sam Darnold and their 2nd QB was Josh Rosen NOT Baker Mayfield . The Mayfield stuff with them was a smoke screen. This truth has come out over the last few days as scouting contracts have ended and personnel members have left for other teams. If Darnold wasn't there, they would've taken Rosen.

--------------------------------

Unfortunately, it's actually misreporting by Will Cain and a few other reporters that jumped out the window with a headline that didn't actually represent what was actually said by Todd Bowles given the context of the question asked to him.

Actually, Todd Bowles was asked if Sam Darnold was the team's top player on the board and more specifically: "Was Sam the number 1 player on your board pre-draft"... to that Todd Bowles responded "We had a few players up there and Sam was one of them."

In another question-response, a reporter asked Bowles "Was Darnold at the top of the rankings of players available"... Bowles responded "We had a few guys up there. We're glad to get Sam as he was right at the top with a few other guys."

What Bowles was saying is that players like Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Denzel Ward, and Quenton Nelson were up there on the draft board and may have been ranked higher than Darnold.

Bowles never intimated that he was talking about QBs... he was talking about players in general.

I went back over Baker's tape.. he's a wizard when scrambling and extending the play even more so than I thought....

However, there are rare instances where he's throwing with anticipation or throwing a back shoulder throw, or placing the ball in a tight away from the DB window down the field.... this is just what worries me so much.... for all the passes where are all the anticipation balls of quick recognition or vision of where the play is developing??

I just don't see it at all... I went back and watched 7 games....He never throws back shoulders or NFL placement balls from the pocket a la Drew Brees, Sam Darnold, or Russell Wilson types... I just don't see it still how we took him 1.

Unbelievable leader intangibles, it factor, creation off platform, deep ball boundary accuracy, but everything has to be opened up for his vision via play action or RPOs and he he's more of a see it throw it guy...

My only hope is that having him work from under center some and drilled with Zampese's back shoulder routine that he's known for that Baker could start to realize how he has to throw anticipation balls more... Baker's recognition without RPO or sliding the line to create passing lanes ...still worries me...

Will be interesting to see if Baker can elevate his game along the necessary dimensions for NFL QB success (throwing guys open, elite pinopoint ball placement, anticipation throwing...)

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I've seen a lot of Browns fans going with this false report as it feels good, but it's just not true.

1. Bowles was referring to other players being ranked at the top (Saquon, Chubb, Ward, Nelson, etc).... he wasn't talking about QBs.

2. The Jets number 1 QB was Sam Darnold and their 2nd QB was Josh Rosen NOT Baker Mayfield . The Mayfield stuff with them was a smoke screen. This truth has come out over the last few days as scouting contracts have ended and personnel members have left for other teams. If Darnold wasn't there, they would've taken Rosen.

--------------------------------

Unfortunately, it's actually misreporting by Will Cain and a few other reporters that jumped out the window with a headline that didn't actually represent what was actually said by Todd Bowles given the context of the question asked to him.

Actually, Todd Bowles was asked if Sam Darnold was the team's top player on the board and more specifically: "Was Sam the number 1 player on your board pre-draft"... to that Todd Bowles responded "We had a few players up there and Sam was one of them."

In another question-response, a reporter asked Bowles "Was Darnold at the top of the rankings of players available"... Bowles responded "We had a few guys up there. We're glad to get Sam as he was right at the top with a few other guys."

What Bowles was saying is that players like Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Denzel Ward, and Quenton Nelson were up there on the draft board and may have been ranked higher than Darnold.

Bowles never intimated that he was talking about QBs... he was talking about players in general.

Ehh I don’t really buy that, for one if Darnold was their top QB and EVERYBODY knew they were going to take a QB why wouldn’t their big board have the QBs at the top and Stephen A Smith on his radio show asked him specifically was Darnold the top QB on thier board and he danced around the question and ended by saying that he was “pretty high on our list”. I would think that if Darnold was thier top QB that Bowles would have no trouble just saying yea he was our top QB

12 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Ehh I don’t really buy that, for one if Darnold was their top QB and EVERYBODY knew they were going to take a QB why wouldn’t their big board have the QBs at the top and Stephen A Smith on his radio show asked him specifically was Darnold the top QB on thier board and he danced around the question and ended by saying that he was “pretty high on our list”. I would think that if Darnold was thier top QB that Bowles would have no trouble just saying yea he was our top QB

Yep. Plus, we know that one of the teams picking later LOVED Mayfield. Peter King referenced how the team who offered Cleveland a #1 next year (his guess was Arizona) was gunning for Mayfield, hence why they had to decline. We also know the Patriots spent time with Baker one week ago, during some "secret" meeting, and there's reason to believe the Pats would have traded up for him if he slid past 4.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The whole time I’m listening to this I’m picturing this gif...

9-Forgetting-Sarah-Marshall-quotes.gif

Promise we don't all sound like that guy. Something interesting I've noticed though from being around the International Series and NFL fans from over here is that it seems quite a big proportion of them are a bit socially awkward/different.

That's not a bad thing at all, it's great that anyone here likes this sport, but I do find it interesting. My theory is that this is the case because it's a niche interest. I think the stats element of the game is also a reason for this. Tends to attract analytical minds or those that like comparing numbers of players to create legacy discussion etc.

Which is a stark difference from the sport of the masses in this country, where it's pure tribalism, drinking and emotion. I've found the two demographics are very different. Although there is some crossover because both are competitive sports and appeal to 'jock' culture.

25 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I can say this, if for some reason baker is not successful here, it certainly will not be for lack of putting in the work. You certainly don’t do what he has done from his journey without absolutely being a gym rat

I just hope he’s ready for the ungodly amount of work he has to put in to succeed as an NFL QB.

49 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I just hope he’s ready for the ungodly amount of work he has to put in to succeed as an NFL QB.

I feel that he has had to put an ungodly amount of work in to get to where he is at now, why should that change, to me it seems just who he is

Archived