Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The best part is how accurate he is with that strong of an arm is impressive. You look at some of the most accurate guys to come out of college, they had some weaker arms for example Colt, Moore, Brennan, Dorsey, and etc

Exactly, thanks for cleaning that up about the accuracy, although I think that may take a dip in the NFL, 70% rarely happens in the NFL. One thing I do need to see is if Baker can put the ball in places where his receivers can not just catch it, but catch in stride and yac it up. Something our previous qb simply could not do. 

3 minutes ago, Keylargobrownie said:

Exactly, thanks for cleaning that up about the accuracy, although I think that may take a dip in the NFL, 70% rarely happens in the NFL. One thing I do need to see is if Baker can put the ball in places where his receivers can not just catch it, but catch in stride and yac it up. Something our previous qb simply could not do. 

I think he did that a lot with Dede two years ago. I think he has that ability and it will look great with Gordon and CC. I think him and Landy will kill teams with his accuracy and Landry’s ability to find windows and make tough catches. Mayfield has fear anticipation when it comes to throw a the slant which is something we haven’t seen in Cleveland in a long time. Prolly since couch and Holcomb 

38 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Which game would anyone suggest that shows Baker vs the most pass rush and tight window, anticipation throws?

Not including Georgia Rose Bowl. I’ve already seen that.

Past two Ohio state games prolly 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Which game would anyone suggest that shows Baker vs the most pass rush and tight window, anticipation throws?

Not including Georgia Rose Bowl. I’ve already seen that.

Iowa State

Here's a different highlight tape that shows how he can extend plays... He drops his eyes too often, but nonetheless some really high quality work in terms of scrambling.

Sometimes fans don't understand 'coaches speak'... like when a coach tells the media "TRUST ME" after the media posed 2 back to back questions denigrating Cody Kessler's ability and the organizations competence ("Most of the league is shocked by the pick so why would you take Kessler when most people thought he has a weak arm and should be undrafted?; A lot of the reactions are that this guy is a 6th round pick at best and won't have success in the league because of physical limitations so what is the front office thinking?)

The fans take that to say the coach loved Kessler and was his guy all the way instead of a coach going all in to make the best of a decision one can't take back.... the coaches words become proof of his belief... but in the NFL they're usually untruths or partial truths.

Heard an interesting story from my family in the business as we caught up after the draft. I told him I put $50 on Baker at +3100 back when he told me to bet (I told him back then I'd put a lot more on it).... he told me he knew I'd wimp out on the amount so he put another $400 on it on the side at +3400 just for me on top of the $5000 he did for himself... I LOVE THIS MAN WITH ALL MY HEART!!!!! (It makes the pick finally go down easy!!!!

The "Trust Me" thing happened again when Hue told a story to Baker that after his private workout he (Hue) turned to Jimmy and said "that's my guy"... I know for a fact based on info passed to my brother in law from a scout that will be joining the Giants after the scout contract is up this upcoming week that Hue and even more aggressively Ken Zampese and Haley were pushing for Darnold even until the 11th hours and the coaches sold out in a contentious and heated debate (That had HighSmith and Haley stand up and raise their voices at which point the meeting was ended and rescheduled for such a time as cool heads could prevai)

At that point, the coaches met with Jimmy and Dee and made their final pitch. When the coaches met with the personnel group a second time a very thorough and thoughtful calm discussion took place where apparently the coaches and dissenting scouts realized there was no way to sway Dorsey and co. off of Baker so they made a compromise where the coaches would get their preference at number 4 with Denzel Ward. To my surprise Dorsey and co. did not prefer Bradley Chubb at that spot, but they wanted Minkah Fitzpatrick... that info stunned me, but Gregg Williams apparently made the case for Ward with Hue going all out in the debate for why he didn't want to use Minkah as an outside CB or nickel.

It was at that meeting where Hue met with the offensive coaches and apparently told them something along the lines of to let go of the 1st pick and get "200% behind Baker... he's our guy now and he has to feel that way with no doubt"... the scouts and the coaches then had a big laugh when Eliot Wolf made a joke ... then Al Saunders told a story about a crazy contentious draft process and a time he almost got sucker punched... the scouts and coaches then had a focused meeting and productive conversations on the rest of the draft.

This process was characterized to my b.i.l. as a "blood sport" relationship but the one good thing that came out of it is Hue Jackson and John Dorsey have legit become good friends who just argue and cuss at each other and at times yell at each other when everyone leaves the building. They've bonded over some family loss in their lives and have established great rapport and working relationship that was put to the fire after heated back and forths in the draft process. They have respect for each other and have set a culture of honesty and open debates for the personnel group and coaches as long as everyone is committed to quality work. This made me feel better at least about the prospects of this group going forward.

So, don't believe that the coaches wanted Baker no matter what you hear going forward.

39 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character

thanks for the right up.

sucks crap though.

interesting that Dorsey built a bridge with the 4th overall pick. Maybe he likes Hue.

Yeah... I was at work and planned to go back and edit the post with more tidbits when I got home... I just did that, and your point was one that I elaborated on as Dorsey and Hue's relationship was baptized through fire, they realized they share similar family stories, have gained new found respect for one another, and have established that it is okay to have knock down, drag em out heated debates without it ruining the working relationship.

It's doubtful that a coach and GM could have more contentious discussions at the start of a relationship.... the best news out of this entire draft process is that somehow it has created a real respect between the two, set the rules of honest/ego-less/heated engagement/discussion going forward, and most importantly caused the two to value each other's opinion.

If we can win sustainably, to much of the forum's chagrin we may have found our coach and gm duo going forward....

The only thing left to be discussed is what role McCloughan will have...

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

@Mind Character

That makes sense and makes the pick that much harder to stomach.

oh well

Because you agreed with Hue?

In all seriousness, makes total sense that Hue wanted Darnold, for SO many reasons. The USC connection, the fact that Darnold is the ideal prospect for molding into their guy, etc. I firmly believed that, and still do. Sure, it's nice to hear that the decision was unanimous, but it's BS. I do like to hear that it brought Hue and Dorsey closer.

Well wasn’t their similar in greenbay? None of the coaches wanted Aaron Rodgers when he fell to them. That’s a story that has been shared by a former front office member. 

Thank god for baker cause it allowed us to avoid Minkah!

27 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Because you agreed with Hue?

In all seriousness, makes total sense that Hue wanted Darnold, for SO many reasons. The USC connection, the fact that Darnold is the ideal prospect for molding into their guy, etc. I firmly believed that, and still do. Sure, it's nice to hear that the decision was unanimous, but it's BS. I do like to hear that it brought Hue and Dorsey closer.

Trust me on this one, if I am worth my salt then i know Hue wanted Baker. If he didn't I'll be in the lake this time next year.

Archived