Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

The players we selected don't really fit our current schemes all that well. We clearly drafted BPA without much concern for the schemes we employ. This entire coaching staff is on the hot seat. The men responsible for an 0-16 season don't get to have much say in who we draft. That's just the way it is. Until this group can show that they know what they're doing on the field, we shouldn't be drafting to fit their schemes. 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

The players we selected don't really fit our current schemes all that well. We clearly drafted BPA without much concern for the schemes we employ. This entire coaching staff is on the hot seat. The men responsible for an 0-16 season don't get to have much say in who we draft. That's just the way it is. Until this group can show that they know what they're doing on the field, we shouldn't be drafting to fit their schemes. 

Apparently Haley’s going to be incorporating more RPOs this year. There was an interview after Baker was drafted were he said it. 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

what do you mean dont really fit our current scheme? we really have no idea what our offensive scheme is going to be. Defensively, Browns drafted DB who can be a top tier man press corner. a Dlinemen who can play inside or outside. A LB who by some was labeled the best blitzing LB. The defenders we draft fit Williams scheme pretty well to me.

5 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Apparently Haley’s going to be incorporating more RPOs this year. There was an interview after Baker was drafted were he said it. 

we had a lot of RPOs in his schemes with the steelers already

Just now, buno67 said:

what do you mean dont really fit our current scheme? we really have no idea what our offensive scheme is going to be. Defensively, Browns drafted DB who can be a top tier man press corner. a Dlinemen who can play inside or outside. A LB who by some was labeled the best blitzing LB. The defenders we draft fit Williams scheme pretty well to me.

Mainly the Denzel Ward pick. Ward is an elite press man corner. We literally never ran press man last year. Everything we did was off zone. Even if we got harassed by it all game long (Green Bay). Gregg Williams has always been a heavy zone guy. I don't know if this is because he's never had a corner like Ward before, but I find it hard to believe we now change the defense to employ more man. We might let Ward play a little closer to the WR because he won't be torched deep, but we're still a heavy zone defense. Avery and Thomas are fits though.

Mayfield is not a fit in Haley's scheme based on stereotyping him. He might have coincidentally only ever had big strong QB's, but his offense is built off of play action shots. His QB's have been able to get under center, sell a play fake, set up for 3-4 seconds by standing strong in the pocket, and firing the football deep down the field. That profiles more of what Sam Darnold and especially Josh Allen represent, not Baker Mayfield. Not that Baker can't make this work, but I can't imagine that Haley and Hue had Baker as their #1 choice in a draft riddled with "prototypes". Corbett is a fit in any scheme because he can play anywhere...& Haley hasn't been opposed to having smaller tackles before.

Basically, we went away from prototype QB's to take a very unconventional one--seems like a move our OC and HC wouldn't have made based on their histories.

And then we took a press man corner to play in our almost exclusively off-zone defense. Ward can play off-zone, but it's his press man skills that make him so special.

Not directly Baker related but...it has been bugging me for awhile that Sam Darnold reminded me of someone but could not place it until it hit me this morning - Syndrome from "The Incredibles" movie. Am I nuts or do they not look similar?

Cannot place comparison photos atm since at work and our network sucks.

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Mainly the Denzel Ward pick. Ward is an elite press man corner. We literally never ran press man last year. Everything we did was off zone. Even if we got harassed by it all game long (Green Bay). Gregg Williams has always been a heavy zone guy. I don't know if this is because he's never had a corner like Ward before, but I find it hard to believe we now change the defense to employ more man. We might let Ward play a little closer to the WR because he won't be torched deep, but we're still a heavy zone defense. Avery and Thomas are fits though.

Mayfield is not a fit in Haley's scheme based on stereotyping him. He might have coincidentally only ever had big strong QB's, but his offense is built off of play action shots. His QB's have been able to get under center, sell a play fake, set up for 3-4 seconds by standing strong in the pocket, and firing the football deep down the field. That profiles more of what Sam Darnold and especially Josh Allen represent, not Baker Mayfield. Not that Baker can't make this work, but I can't imagine that Haley and Hue had Baker as their #1 choice in a draft riddled with "prototypes". Corbett is a fit in any scheme because he can play anywhere...& Haley hasn't been opposed to having smaller tackles before.

Basically, we went away from prototype QB's to take a very unconventional one--seems like a move our OC and HC wouldn't have made based on their histories.

And then we took a press man corner to play in our almost exclusively off-zone defense. Ward can play off-zone, but it's his press man skills that make him so special.

I dont think Williams favors one kind of coverage over another. Believe he likes to mix and match coverages. Last year he was forced to use more zone because of the lack of outside corner talent. There is a reason that the entire secondary was pretty much rebuilt. So it fits better into William's ideal scheme. Usually when a DC is as aggressive as Williams is, they tend to like man schemes to make sure every option is at least covered.

You do know Pit was in shotgun for about 71% of their snaps last year. 76% of their passing plays were from shotgun. So you need to stop thinking of the older steelers. In '16 66% of the snaps were from shotgun and again 76% of their passing plays were from shotgun. So going undercenter, selling a playfake, and setting up for 3-4 seconds hasnt been the steelers MO for at least the past two years. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I dont think Williams favors one kind of coverage over another. Believe he likes to mix and match coverages. Last year he was forced to use more zone because of the lack of outside corner talent. There is a reason that the entire secondary was pretty much rebuilt. So it fits better into William's ideal scheme. Usually when a DC is as aggressive as Williams is, they tend to like man schemes to make sure every option is at least covered.

But he has been heavy zone forever. He was this way with the Saints, he was this way with the Rams, and he's this way with us now. I really don't think his scheme is going to change--he's pretty rigidly a zone defense coach. Luckily Ward can do both, but Williams' scheme fits more with a dude like Josh Jackson, who is a perfect example of what he likes in his defenses--a ball-hawking big zone CB.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

You do know Pit was in shotgun for about 71% of their snaps last year. 76% of their passing plays were from shotgun. So you need to stop thinking of the older steelers. In '16 66% of the snaps were from shotgun and again 76% of their passing plays were from shotgun. So going undercenter, selling a playfake, and setting up for 3-4 seconds hasnt been the steelers MO for at least the past two years. 

No I didn't realize that. I try to avoid watching Pittsburgh as much as possible. Makes me sick. But yea I didn't realize they transitioned to more of a gun team. I guess it makes sense given their use of 3-4 WR's and a lack of use from their TE's recently.

29 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

Not directly Baker related but...it has been bugging me for awhile that Sam Darnold reminded me of someone but could not place it until it hit me this morning - Syndrome from "The Incredibles" movie. Am I nuts or do they not look similar?

Cannot place comparison photos atm since at work and our network sucks.

I've got ya covered.....and you're right.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbKng9-ZVUkPMDlbNElfCoilssh-b88859590z.120161222122406000gktk

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well wasn’t their similar in greenbay? None of the coaches wanted Aaron Rodgers when he fell to them.

Apart from the fact that the FO "won", it was the exact opposite in that the GB FO wanted the best QB prospect and the coaches didn't, vs. here the coaches wanted the best QB prospect and the FO didn't.

Archived