49ers trade Trent Brown to Patriots

49erurtaza

19 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Can he play LT? I like this trade.

He only played there once, maybe two games last year when Staley went out with an eye injury. He was okay - no glaring issues during that time, but obviously you're talking highly limited sample as he's never played there at any other time with us since we've always had Staley. 

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Interesting. Cannon and Brown are solid RT's. I don't see how this move makes sense unless they want to try Brown at LT.

Brown has never played LT. Cannon has been bad most of the times he's been asked to play LT. I really don't understand what the plan is with this trade and the Wynn selection. Maybe they're unhappy with Thuney or think Mason is going to walk after this season (he's certainly played his way into an elite positional contract) but taking a guard in the 1st round with the intention of redshirting him as a rookie would be very much against type for Belichick.

25 minutes ago, Starless said:

Brown has never played LT. Cannon has been bad most of the times he's been asked to play LT. I really don't understand what the plan is with this trade and the Wynn selection. Maybe they're unhappy with Thuney or think Mason is going to walk after this season (he's certainly played his way into an elite positional contract) but taking a guard in the 1st round with the intention of redshirting him as a rookie would be very much against type for Belichick.

He's played LT in limited action but I think he will be just fine there. This a talented pass protector regardless where he lines up. Keep Cannon at RT, play Brown at LT and Wynn could play guard. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's played LT in limited action but I think he will be just fine there. This a talented pass protector regardless where he lines up. Keep Cannon at RT, play Brown at LT and Wynn could play guard. 

I'm not questioning Brown's talent, but there's a reason some guys are suited purely for the right side of the line. Some guys just can't adjust to basically having to invert their technique. We'll see if that's the case with Brown. But either way, I question the value of taking Wynn in the first round to play guard, given how strong a position it was for the Pats last year.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Cannon, Garcia, Waddle, Brown, and Wynn as OT depth. 

Can’t complain.

Cannon: Coming off a season ending injury, been awful at LT

Garcia: Never played a snap in the NFL, coming off a very serious career threatening injury. 

Waddle: Career back-up who played averagely for us at both spots

Brown: Coming off a serious injury and has serious weight concerns

Wynn: 6'2" Rookie

I wish I could share your optimism

Archived