49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'll trade Taylor's toughness for a lack of fumbles. I'll never forgive him for a couple of the fumbles, just like I can't ever not love him for the touchdown catch, or the two 90 yard receptions against the Rams on MNF. 

Taylor was a great blocker, though, and his blocking (and his ability to run rub routes) was really useful. He and Rice blocking so well for one another was an underrated part of that offense.

Watching more of this guy, he shares a lot of the same traits that I love about Kendrick Bourne. Shifty route runners who can take short passes to the house. They both explode once they get the ball in their hands. Great hips. You could call them 'natural' receivers if that makes sense. 

It is very shwred to have WRs who can take short passes the distance when you have a QB who is extremely accurate and presice in the short passing game. 

It seems like one of those times where this guy has the chance to be a star on our roster, but if he was drafted by 90% of other teams he has a somewhat underwhelming career. His skillset meshes perfectly with our offense. 

Draft this guy in your dynasty leagues next year 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel like we are handling the draft like we do free agency (not a good thing) in that we are becoming tunnel visioned to the guys that we want and have to have. 

I feel we won't care too much about that after our third superbowl in a row!

I feel like many of the top contenders have often had weird ways about approaching the draft and free agency. The Pats for a while were known to always trade out of the first, and mostly built their team with second rounders, and signing retreads on the free agent market, but still it worked out for them, but they had Brady and Bellichik. Would they have been even more successful if they had been better drafters and better in free agency? I mean, could they have been better than they've been? The saints have had particular ways too. The steelers were for a while, and still are, I think. I always say that the best player always makes you the best possible team you can be, but is it possible that the lesser player makes you the better team at times? Still, the drafting and signing this team does is mostly of the head-scratching variety. But if it works out in the end, I won't complain. I will complain about the loss of hair, though. That fully-haired Lynch bastard....

5 hours ago, N4L said:

It seems like one of those times where this guy has the chance to be a star on our roster, but if he was drafted by 90% of other teams he has a somewhat underwhelming career.

For years, it was the opposite. We were the team where receivers went to see their production die. God Bless Jimmy.

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I feel we won't care too much about that after our third superbowl in a row!

I feel like many of the top contenders have often had weird ways about approaching the draft and free agency. The Pats for a while were known to always trade out of the first, and mostly built their team with second rounders, and signing retreads on the free agent market, but still it worked out for them, but they had Brady and Bellichik. Would they have been even more successful if they had been better drafters and better in free agency? I mean, could they have been better than they've been? The saints have had particular ways too. The steelers were for a while, and still are, I think. I always say that the best player always makes you the best possible team you can be, but is it possible that the lesser player makes you the better team at times? Still, the drafting and signing this team does is mostly of the head-scratching variety. But if it works out in the end, I won't complain. I will complain about the loss of hair, though. That fully-haired Lynch bastard....

I think the single most important thing is having a clear vision of what you want and getting that lined up between your complete coaching staff and front office. Don't be afraid to be different. In the end all great teams got great because they wheren't going with what was safe or what is perceived as the way to build a team. That is mostly why the team that so called wins the offseason most of the time ends up being a disappointment because they go with the big name instead of going with the slightly lesser known guy that fits what they want to do better. 

These first few years we are cleaning out the whole team and building up a completely new team. In this process you will see more head scratching choices because the base you are working with isn't what it should be. Once that base is there you will see more and more the values our team puts on positions and traits and you will get a better understanding what way they will go. 

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I had Chark rated higher. It will be interesting to watch these two over the years to see how it all pans out.

It is possible that Pettis is faster than we think. He was evidently banged up and didn't participate in the combine, so we don't really know his SPARQ numbers. This from The Athletic (whole article is behind a paywall, sorry):

Pettis didn't do any athletic testing at the combine or at his pro day because he is still recovering from an ankle injury that he suffered in late November. He told me over the weekend that he's close to 100 percent and that he will be doing drills and running this week.

Pettis said that he's run in the 4.3s in the past. If he had done that at the combine, his stock would have soared.

I have heard people question Pettis' "long speed" before (he is clearly quite quick in short areas, with a great chance of direction), but you never see him getting caught from behind on tape. The 49ers have had a lot of success over the years with receivers whose speed other people questioned going into the draft, and Shanahan has basically brought back a modernized version of the WCO where many of the same traits that worked for Walsh's receivers are what the system demands.

The conclusion of that Athletic article (won't post any more for copyright reasons):

His understanding of timing and his ability to run sharp routes could make him a fit in an offense with West Coast principles such as the Eagles, 49ers or Raiders. He may not get as much freedom as he did at Washington to adjust his routes, but the aptitude he displayed there means that he has the potential to be a very good option route runner.

Rankings of this wide receiver draft class are going to vary depending on preference and scheme, but if Pettis falls into the second or third round, some team might be getting a steal, especially if it knows how to utilize his football IQ.

He really is an excellent route runner. We still have to wait and see if his athleticism translates at the pro level (not a given), but he's definitely got it between the ears to be a very good pro. Apparently also a really cerebral kid, and an avid reader. Those are rare and generally good qualities to have in a football player. That Athletic article also has some videos (which I will not post) of him running routes with his own commentary on what he's doing. Seems to be a genuinely smart kid who understands leverage and the concepts behind the overall offensive system Washington was running, which is fairly sophisticated for a college system. His intelligence is probably one of the reasons he's such an excellent route runner. Really like this player.

@Ronnie's Pinky...that stuff is fair. I don't have a ton of questions regarding what he brings to the table, and I like that he basically can have a bit of an apprenticeship. The player value was definitely a little rich for me, so it's a bit of a reach (particularly given the board). Also, the trade up absolutely demolishes the value for me. Way too similar to the Garnett move for my liking. I bashed that one, have to bash this one as well. 

Archived