2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

Dane Bruglar mocked Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss to us in the second round this morning.

I hadn't heard his name in that range before so I took a look. Very intrigued.

Tight ends tend to fall in the draft even when the position is shallow (i.e. O.J. Howard, Zach Ertz). We will have a really high caliber player at TE available for us when we pick in the 2nd round. Things always can change, but at this point, I'd be pretty surprised if the pick is anything else.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Dane Bruglar mocked Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss to us in the second round this morning.

I hadn't heard his name in that range before so I took a look. Very intrigued.

Tight ends tend to fall in the draft even when the position is shallow (i.e. O.J. Howard, Zach Ertz). We will have a really high caliber player at TE available for us when we pick in the 2nd round. Things always can change, but at this point, I'd be pretty surprised if the pick is anything else.

you never know. Between another O-line or Safety anything can happy

13 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Question, hypothetically speaking. If there are two great tight ends available when we pick in round 2, and one is a great receiving tight end and a pretty good blocker, while the other is a great blocking tight end and a pretty good receiver. Which of the two would you take??

I’d take the better receiver. Assuming Fredbeard returns (healthy) next season, Tyron Smith gets his back surgery and comes back healthy, and we have a new OC (anyone innovative), it makes much more sense to give Quincy as many legitimate weapons as possible because it’ll help pull players off of the LOS and reduce the number of blitzes he’ll face. Meaning, it’ll make him a more productive player.

7 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Question, hypothetically speaking. If there are two great tight ends available when we pick in round 2, and one is a great receiving tight end and a pretty good blocker, while the other is a great blocking tight end and a pretty good receiver. Which of the two would you take??

The former. You can teach and refine blocking techniques. Can’t coach athleticism and ball skills.

6 hours ago, matt79511 said:

The former. You can teach and refine blocking techniques. Can’t coach athleticism and ball skills.

13 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Players who can't catch in college will never learn to catch in the League.

I think the Cowboys staff as it exists today would prefer Hockenson to Fant. FWIW, Hockenson has more catches, yards, and a higher average than Fant. He passed Fant in all 3 categories after trailing in 2017. 

Hockenson has the 3rd most receiving yards in the NCAA for tight ends. I think being on the same team as Fant has given him an unfair label a "the blocking one". So you have an ascending player who can step in and do just about everything from Day 1. I imagine that puts him above Fant for Jason Garrett.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think the Cowboys staff as it exists today would prefer Hockenson to Fant. FWIW, Hockenson has more catches, yards, and a higher average than Fant. He passed Fant in all 3 categories after trailing in 2017. 

Hockenson has the 3rd most receiving yards in the NCAA for tight ends. I think being on the same team as Fant has given him an unfair label a "the blocking one". So you have an ascending player who can step in and do just about everything from Day 1. I imagine that puts him above Fant for Jason Garrett.

I agree with this and personally I would just Hockenson. Not that I don't like what Fant brings to the table. But our offense could use some serious stability. Cooper is consistent at least for now even though that was one of the gripes about him is that he disappears. If we can pick up another young Witten, then I will take that 10 out of 10.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I agree with this and personally I would just Hockenson. Not that I don't like what Fant brings to the table. But our offense could use some serious stability. Cooper is consistent at least for now even though that was one of the gripes about him is that he disappears. If we can pick up another young Witten, then I will take that 10 out of 10.

Witten wasn’t known for being much of a blocker at Tennessee. He was known much more for his receiving skills and worked tirelessly with Dallas to turn himself into a very solid blocker.

15 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Witten wasn’t known for being much of a blocker at Tennessee. He was known much more for his receiving skills and worked tirelessly with Dallas to turn himself into a very solid blocker.

I agree with this, which is why I was very high on Evan Engram and David Njoku.

The Fant thong worries me, though. I feel like there must be more to the story than we know. I wonder if the work ethic is there for him?

Archived