2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with this, which is why I was very high on Evan Engram and David Njoku.

The Fant thong worries me, though. I feel like there must be more to the story than we know. I wonder if the work ethic is there for him?

No idea. Obviously, I don’t expect to catch lightning in a bottle twice, so I’d be happy with a guy who can be 50-75% of what Witten was. Even with that, we’d still have an incredibly reliable and productive long-term starter.

7 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

No idea. Obviously, I don’t expect to catch lightning in a bottle twice, so I’d be happy with a guy who can be 50-75% of what Witten was. Even with that, we’d still have an incredibly reliable and productive long-term starter.

I’m not sure if I am clear, but you are saying you like Fant over Hockenson?

17 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m not sure if I am clear, but you are saying you like Fant over Hockenson?

I like them both. Fant is the better athlete and a smoother receiver, but Hockenson may be the more versatile of the two. There were times when he reminded me of Chris Cooley when he’d play H-Back.

@WizardHawk, your thoughts? You’re our resident Iowa expert.

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think the Cowboys staff as it exists today would prefer Hockenson to Fant.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with this, which is why I was very high on Evan Engram and David Njoku.

The Fant thong worries me, though. I feel like there must be more to the story than we know. I wonder if the work ethic is there for him?

If you replaced Cowboys staff with Hawkeyes staff, you'd probably have a good answer as to why Hockenson performed better than Fant.  Hockenson is simply a better fit for what Dallas and Iowa do offensively. The coaching staff raved about his progress between this year and last. I don't think anyone seen it coming tbh. Hock gives a lot of credit to George Kittle for his success. Kittle really took Hockenson under his wing in his last season here and they still talk regularly. 

I have no concerns about Fant's work ethic and haven't heard anything negative on that front elsewhere either. There could be some possible maturity issues. And, there was an issue with Fant's brother taking to Twitter to voice his and supposedly Noah's displeasure in the amount of targets he was getting. I'm sure that didn't get any brownie points with Kirk Ferentz, who hates social media. 

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I like them both. Fant is the better athlete and a smoother receiver, but Hockenson may be the more versatile of the two. There were times when he reminded me of Chris Cooley when he’d play H-Back.

@WizardHawk, your thoughts? You’re our resident Iowa expert.

Fant is definitely the better athlete and I suspect he'll test into the high 90th percentile at combine, but I wouldn't sleep on Hockenson. The reverse could be said of blocking with Hock being far superior, but Fant probably being  pretty underrated.  The real difference may be in the hands. Hock has some of the best hands I've seen. If it's close, he's going to catch it. As I said, I'm not concerned about Fant's work ethic, but it seems that Hockenson may have a fair advantage here as well. 

Personally, if both are on the board when Dallas picks, I'd take Hock and frankly it's not even really that close regardless who is coaching. I like Fant, don't get me wrong, he has a lot to offer and will pose a match up issue, but Hock I really believe will eventually be one of those guys you mention when talking about the best at their position. 

Latest Mock

T.J. Hockenson TE, Iowa (2nd Round, 61st Overall Pick)
Youhanna Ghaifan DT, Wyoming (3rd Round, 92nd Overall Pick)
Hunter Renfrow WR, Clemson (4th Round, 131st Overall Pick)
Garrett Brumfield G, LSU (4th Round, 136th Overall Pick)
Terrill Hanks OLB, New Mexico State (5th Round, 168th Overall Pick)
CeCe Jefferson EDGE, Florida (7th Round, 244th Overall Pick)

I'm guessing Ghaifan can probably be had much later than the 3rd given the recent news surrounding him and the current state of affairs in the NFL regarding issues of this nature.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/29/police-report-wyoming-football-player-trapped-hotel-worker/

He was charged with misdemeanor counts of false imprisonment and harassment.

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Latest Mock

T.J. Hockenson TE, Iowa (2nd Round, 61st Overall Pick)
Youhanna Ghaifan DT, Wyoming (3rd Round, 92nd Overall Pick)
Hunter Renfrow WR, Clemson (4th Round, 131st Overall Pick)
Garrett Brumfield G, LSU (4th Round, 136th Overall Pick)
Terrill Hanks OLB, New Mexico State (5th Round, 168th Overall Pick)
CeCe Jefferson EDGE, Florida (7th Round, 244th Overall Pick)

does he have enough speed???

OK Most of us seem to agree that a high level TE could do us wonders. But I am starting to think that Dallas has to look hard at a LT. Maybe T Smith can recover, BUT he also may be done a lot sooner than anyone may realize. Cam Fleming looks serviceable, but too small a sample size.

Best TE/LT almost an even need IMO right now. 

any good ones in the draft or FA??

Archived