So...who is your rookie? And why?

vegas492

On 2018-04-30 at 2:31 PM, Shanedorf said:

ILB Oren Burks

Why:  based on the "Trousers for Christmas"  theory... B|

Very Smart and very athletic

"Sold on Burks’ athleticism and upside from the start, Green Bay was blown by his maturity during the visit. Burks also left a positive impression on the scouting department with how quickly he picked up the inside linebacker position. "

He's not ready for prime time yet, but he's got the Cabeza to learn and become a real asset in the nickel D.

Blake and Jake are limited athletically  - and it was important enough for Pettine/ GB to move up and grab the guy

Im with you, loved the Burks pick. This is the type of guy we needed at the ILB position. Athletic as hell and a good kid. Hoping he becomes a difference maker for years to come for the Pack.

I'll go with Scantling. If he can accept coaching and realize even half of his potential, then we'd have a great gunner  and perhaps a #4 or 5 WR eventually. Just love his get go off the line (his 1.55 10 yrd. split time is exceptional.) Still, if I had to bet on it, then I'd say that his chances of making the team are less than 50%. Hope I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I'll go with Scantling. If he can accept coaching and realize even half of his potential, then we'd have a great gunner  and perhaps a #4 or 5 WR eventually. Just love his get go off the line (his 1.55 10 yrd. split time is exceptional.) Still, if I had to bet on it, then I'd say that his chances of making the team are less than 50%. Hope I'm wrong.

I too like MVS' skill set and upsides - plus - we need an influx of talent at this position group. We never focus on it because other positions get our attention, but we're amazingly THIN @ WR. I mean - last year went down the drain when the QB got hurt. Well, given current depth at WR - we could easily suffer a similar fate in reverse. 2015 isnt so far away as to be forgotten.

Give Adams another high ankle sprain - or another concussion (he's had multiples of both) - and who we putting in there? Cobb goes down?

Hence, unless he fall flat on his face, I think he's got a better than 50% hot of sticking.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I too like MVS' skill set and upsides - plus - we need an influx of talent at this position group. We never focus on it because other positions get our attention, but we're amazingly THIN @ WR. I mean - last year went down the drain when the QB got hurt. Well, given current depth at WR - we could easily suffer a similar fate in reverse. 2015 isnt so far away as to be forgotten.

Give Adams another high ankle sprain - or another concussion (he's had multiples of both) - and who we putting in there? Cobb goes down?

Hence, unless he fall flat on his face, I think he's got a better than 50% hot of sticking.

I'm still holding out hope that we pick up a veteran #2. Maybe we pick up some cap space with Rodgers new contract. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm still holding out hope that we pick up a veteran #2. Maybe we pick up some cap space with Rodgers new contract. 

This could be.....might be mandatory in fact.....but who's out there? The only names I hear (or am aware of) are Maclin and/or Dez.

The former's career has kind of toned down since his knee injury and (multiple?) moves from various teams. The latter's game has declined and talent not withstanding I dont think we can count on him holding his temperament at bay. He is what he is: a TO Mini-Me and somebody who frets and whines to a disruptive level IMO.

I like the concept of getting all three rookie WRs started on their NFL journeys. Get that "it takes time" clock started. The sooner the better. I like the concept - but I also like the concept of winning - so a more reliable Veteran may be necessary - UNLESS of course - Mr. Allison's game has evolved more. The guys not a bum. When last we saw him, he wasnt a true #2 - but lets see what we see in coming weeks/months. We certainly could use him.

9 hours ago, PackerLegend said:

Im with you, loved the Burks pick. This is the type of guy we needed at the ILB position. Athletic as hell and a good kid. Hoping he becomes a difference maker for years to come for the Pack.

Watch the Alabama game. He sticks to Olineman like scrambled eggs with no oil.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:06 PM, Lieker said:

J'mon Moore. Sorry Incog. Stealing your guy. He has all the athletic ability, size, and ball skills you look for in a high-end WR. I am especially impressed with his Davante Adams-like COD and route running potential. I think it bodes well for his YAC and overall big play ability. 

Don't go calling my guy. @incognito_man's guy.  He was mine first. ;)

@DavidatMIZZOU is going to change his tune after the first 2 TD game with QB1.

3 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Watch the Alabama game. He sticks to Olineman like scrambled eggs with no oil.

Damn. Good thing Alabama isn't on our schedule this year. :)

Safeties tend to struggle shedding OL, partially based on size and partially based on spending their time working on other skills. Deone Buchannon has the same issue in AZ and so did Morgan Burnett when he tried the Safety-playing -ILB role last season. Burks started at Safety, then moved to OLB and finally to ILB. The Packers believe his shortcomings in technique can be resolved with coaching and spending more time learning one position.

We'll see if they were correct in their assessments and I suspect it will take Burks some time to learn the finer points of playing the ILB position. But I know the scouts all saw the Alabama game -  and the Packers still traded up to grab the guy anyways.

My rookie is Josh Jackson. I don't think I've ever wanted to be wrong about a player more. I'm going to cheer my arse off for him and hope I spend the next decade ending my critiques of prospects with... "but what do I know. I thought JJ was going to fail miserably but he's a perennial pro bowler and one of the best in the game".

#TeamWAJJ

2 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

My rookie is Josh Jackson. I don't think I've ever wanted to be wrong about a player more. I'm going to cheer my arse off for him and hope I spend the next decade ending my critiques of prospects with... "but what do I know. I thought JJ was going to fail miserably but he's a perennial pro bowler and one of the best in the game".

#TeamWAJJ

Same here. Hate the pick and I think he fails badly but I’d love to be proven wrong.

My guy is Marquez. So fast and agile for his size. I’m hoping he takes to the coaching. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Damn. Good thing Alabama isn't on our schedule this year. :)

Safeties tend to struggle shedding OL, partially based on size and partially based on spending their time working on other skills. Deone Buchannon has the same issue in AZ and so did Morgan Burnett when he tried the Safety-playing -ILB role last season. Burks started at Safety, then moved to OLB and finally to ILB. The Packers believe his shortcomings in technique can be resolved with coaching and spending more time learning one position.

We'll see if they were correct in their assessments and I suspect it will take Burks some time to learn the finer points of playing the ILB position. But I know the scouts all saw the Alabama game -  and the Packers still traded up to grab the guy anyways.

Haha Id say Alabama is on our schedule every week because thats the type of talent Burks will be seeing every week. It wasnt just his inabilty to shed blocks but his missed tackles, piggyback rides, and slow reaction. I will give him good cover on the wheel route and swing passes. His character has more to do with trading up into the third than his film.

Archived