2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

So try one more year, then suck for TL the year after... got it.  

The alternative is to invest in a QB who you half heartedly think might be a franchise QB.  QB purgatory is arguably the worst position to be in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The alternative is to invest in a QB who you half heartedly think might be a franchise QB.  QB purgatory is arguably the worst position to be in the NFL.

Agreed.  How do you feel about Lock if he were to fall to the end of the 1st beginning of the 2nd the Saints could possibly trade up using a future 2nd and their 2nd isntead of a 1st.

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

Agreed.  How do you feel about Locker if he were to fall to the end of the 1st beginning of the 2nd the Saints could possibly trade up using a future 2nd and their 2nd isntead of a 1st.

Jake Locker? I think he's a free agent, just get him now

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Let's get this out there.  There's no immediate red flags with him, but there's also not a long track record that you're comfortable with him investing a top 10 pick in, which is where he's going to go.

This is the one issue where if Haskins doesn't fulfill his potential, everyone will point back and say "why did we discount this concern".   Haskins has been impressive this year, but with only 1 year of play, and without a longer body of work, we could see issues that just aren't that apparent now.    If he had stayed in school and killed it with more progression, then it would be hard to argue a top 10 pick (and he'd have been very much in the running for 1.1 with Tua & Herbert).   Just with 1 year, man, it's tough to feel safe.

Having said that, in this class, he's also clearly the best combo of tools & skills of this bunch.   It's just nowhere as safe as the 2018's class was for extended body of work.   But he's not in 2018's class, so it is what it is.   Don't blame him at all for declaring, though. 

With DEN no longer sticking with Kubiak as OC, I suspect DEN is now throwing their hat in the ring for 2019 QB Rd1 - which is pretty terrifying lol.    We probably aren't even sniffing the 2nd QB taken let alone Haskins, NYG & JAX are likely going to protect both spots.   It's just scary when the top guy is only a guy with 1 year of film but yet still clearly at the top,  and everyone else has major other issues that prevent them from passing a guy with only 1 year of tape, but need is likely still driving 2+ of them to go Rd1.   Man....

I understand people are worried about Haskins given his limited tape, but what about him is so raw other than a lack of experience? He's ripped apart some very good defenses, he's accurate at all levels, he's got the size and the arm, and despite people crapping on him for a lack of mobility, he's plenty mobile enough to pick up 1st downs with his legs when things fall apart. He's not a running threat on any zone read kind of stuff, but he's not freaking Drew Bledsoe either like some people are making him out to be. He's average in terms of mobility for QB's. The only concern I have with him is that he hasn't played from under center and he has some clunky footwork. He's an in-rhythm thrower and his rhythm gets disrupted when he's out of cadence with his drops. If he intends to hit a 3 step drop and the guy isn't open, he tends to lose accuracy. He stops his feet at the end of the drop rather than keep them firing like Baker Mayfield does so well. I don't think this is going to damn him in the NFL and it's certainly something that will improve with more experience. It's not like he's inaccurate, lacks arm strength, had injury problems, makes poor decisions with the football, fumbles, etc.... Those would be things to worry about for me.

I'm not sold on Haskins being an excellent pro QB, but I am almost positive he's going to start in the NFL for a long time. He'll hang out around the 15-20 range in terms of the top QB's in the league, which is more than a lot of guys can say. I am surprised he has so many detractors to be honest.

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I understand people are worried about Haskins given his limited tape, but what about him is so raw other than a lack of experience? He's ripped apart some very good defenses, he's accurate at all levels, he's got the size and the arm, and despite people crapping on him for a lack of mobility, he's plenty mobile enough to pick up 1st downs with his legs when things fall apart. He's not a running threat on any zone read kind of stuff, but he's not freaking Drew Bledsoe either like some people are making him out to be. He's average in terms of mobility for QB's. The only concern I have with him is that he hasn't played from under center and he has some clunky footwork. He's an in-rhythm thrower and his rhythm gets disrupted when he's out of cadence with his drops. If he intends to hit a 3 step drop and the guy isn't open, he tends to lose accuracy. He stops his feet at the end of the drop rather than keep them firing like Baker Mayfield does so well. I don't think this is going to damn him in the NFL and it's certainly something that will improve with more experience. It's not like he's inaccurate, lacks arm strength, had injury problems, makes poor decisions with the football, fumbles, etc.... Those would be things to worry about for me.

I'm not sold on Haskins being an excellent pro QB, but I am almost positive he's going to start in the NFL for a long time. He'll hang out around the 15-20 range in terms of the top QB's in the league, which is more than a lot of guys can say. I am surprised he has so many detractors to be honest.

I actually think that's probably his floor with his ceiling being at the level of Phillip Rivers, sitting around 6-8 most years with a few stops in the top 5.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

This is the one issue where if Haskins doesn't fulfill his potential, everyone will point back and say "why did we discount this concern".   Haskins has been impressive this year, but with only 1 year of play, and without a longer body of work, we could see issues that just aren't that apparent now.    If he had stayed in school and killed it with more progression, then it would be hard to argue a top 10 pick (and he'd have been very much in the running for 1.1 with Tua & Herbert).   Just with 1 year, man, it's tough to feel safe.

Having said that, in this class, he's also clearly the best combo of tools & skills of this bunch.   It's just nowhere as safe as the 2018's class was for extended body of work.   But he's not in 2018's class, so it is what it is.   Don't blame him at all for declaring, though. 

With DEN no longer sticking with Kubiak as OC, I suspect DEN is now throwing their hat in the ring for 2019 QB Rd1 - which is pretty terrifying lol.    We probably aren't even sniffing the 2nd QB taken let alone Haskins, NYG & JAX are likely going to protect both spots.   It's just scary when the top guy is only a guy with 1 year of film but yet still clearly at the top,  and everyone else has major other issues that prevent them from passing a guy with only 1 year of tape, but need is likely still driving 2+ of them to go Rd1.   Man....

Can’t wait for the QB hype season.  It’s only January...  Who thought a team would sell the farm for Carson Wentz in January?  He was a basically a two year starter in the MWC and injured his Sr year for half the season. 

This is a really underrated QB class

its actually filled with value and some potential true franchise QBs

My order would be 

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Drew Lock 

3. Kyler Murray

4. Will Grier

5. Daniel Jones 

6. Ryan Finley

7. Clayton Thornson 

those guys are going to add value to the league teams like the Chargers, Pats, Saints, Cowboys need to get their next guy 

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

This is a really underrated QB class

its actually filled with value and some potential true franchise QBs

My order would be 

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Drew Lock 

3. Kyler Murray

4. Will Grier

5. Daniel Jones 

6. Ryan Finley

7. Clayton Thornson 

those guys are going to add value to the league teams like the Chargers, Pats, Saints, Cowboys need to get their next guy 

I totally agree with the bolded.  It seems like a kinda underrated QB class to me on the whole.  But it's largely about the top-end, which is where i disagree with the "some potential franchise QB" part.  This feels like the inverse of last year.  The 2018 draft felt like a weird unusual influx of "potential starting QBs" at the top overall...but with almost nothing behind that.  This draft feels far weaker at the top...but that sorta mid-range depth is really intriguing.  I think there are guys who come out of rounds 2-5 who are either "serviceable" starters, or high-end stopgaps/backups.  Who knows which, but...

My rankings at this point look something like:

Haskins.

---------------------

Jones.

Thorson.

Lock.

--------------------

Rypien.

Stidham.

--------------------

Jackson.

Grier.

--------------------

Ta'amu.

Finley.

-------------------

Fitzgerald.

-------------------

Shurmur.

Minshew.

Stick.

On 21/01/2019 at 11:43 AM, CWood21 said:

Am I crazy for thinking Jordan Ta'amu is better than people are letting him on to be?  I'm not saying he's going to be a franchise QB or anything, but that's a high end backup in a realistic "floor" scenario.

I think you're a bit crazy, yeah.  To an extent.  Ta'amu feels like major highlight bait.  He's tough to evaluate because his best throws are absolutely "take notice" type NFL caliber throws.  He's got the arm to get things done.  Combine that with a world class receiving corps, and you're going to get a lot of pretty tape.  The problem with Ta'amu is when you start watching for a specific receiver and realize...good heavens this guy is "open" 100% of the time, and Ta'amu sails a pass 20 yards over the guy on the other side of the field.  Bigtime wtf.  I like Ta'amu as a late round project type, who has some traits that are very desirable...but doesn't really have them all put together reliably.  There are suggestions there that he might not be Tanner Lee bad.

On 21/01/2019 at 11:59 AM, CWood21 said:

My initial QB rankings.

I don't really agree with a lot of your rankings, obviously...but i really respect that you put some very "different" rankings out there.  Based on what you see, rather than what the mainstream tells you.

Archived