Saints Mark Ingram suspended 4 games

49erurtaza

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Saints running back Mark Ingram has been suspended for four games for violating the league’s PED policy, which is a curious time to ask for a pay raise. But that’s apparently what Ingram is doing. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Ingram wants a new contract and will not participate in any of the Saints’ voluntary offseason work. Rapoport also suggested the Saints may have talked about trading Ingram.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/08/report-suspended-saint-mark-ingram-wants-a-new-contract/

Ian Crapreport, for what that’s worth 

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Saints running back Mark Ingram has been suspended for four games for violating the league’s PED policy, which is a curious time to ask for a pay raise. But that’s apparently what Ingram is doing. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Ingram wants a new contract and will not participate in any of the Saints’ voluntary offseason work. Rapoport also suggested the Saints may have talked about trading Ingram.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/08/report-suspended-saint-mark-ingram-wants-a-new-contract/

I will say that’s a really unique way to deflect attention from the suspension.  O.o

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Pretty sure he Saints have talked about moving Ingram since he was drafted.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Pretty sure he Saints have talked about moving Ingram since he was drafted.

Ingram and Payton have been at each other for a long time.(Or it at least appears that way).  I can see both sides, but ultimately, we've never had a legit backup plan until now.  Ingram is expendable with Kamara on the team.  This next year could certainly be his last as a Saint anyway.

I don't mean to say I want to move on from Ingram, I'd love to keep him and Kamara both, but it'll never happen.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Ingram and Payton have been at each other for a long time.(Or it at least appears that way).  I can see both sides, but ultimately, we've never had a legit backup plan until now.  Ingram is expendable with Kamara on the team.  This next year could certainly be his last as a Saint anyway.

I don't mean to say I want to move on from Ingram, I'd love to keep him and Kamara both, but it'll never happen.

It's weird that they even extended him - because from Year 1 of that extension, it seemed that Payton would go out of his way to mess with Ingram.   I mean, he was being pulled for guys like Tim Hightower.   

Totally agree that Ingram is a goner after this contract is done, but it's just been a weird relationship all around.

Just now, Broncofan said:

It's weird that they even extended him - because from Year 1 of that extension, it seemed that Payton would go out of his way to mess with Ingram.   I mean, he was being pulled for guys like Tim Hightower.   

Totally agree that Ingram is a goner after this contract is done, but it's just been a weird relationship all around.

Well to be fair, Hightower was playing very well there for a while.  And there was one game against Arizona where Ingram carried down the field and Hightower got the TD carry that really pissed Ingram off, and I can see his point of view, but at the same time, this was Hightower's former team and he was also playing very well against them.  

There was also always a bit of inconsistency with Ingram that Payton didn't like, but yes, Payton did seem to be overly harsh on Ingram, and I would have liked to have seen Ingram shoulder more of the load than he ultimately did. Since about the latter half of 2013, Ingram has been a back worthy of a lot of carries.

A lot of backs probably dislike the way Payton runs by committee,  but that was our offense, and it did win a superbowl.  

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I will say that’s a really unique way to deflect attention from the suspension.  O.o

Michael Irvin got busted for coke and wore that fur coat, Ingram is just taking the game to a new level.

"Hey, I'm cheating to be the #2 RB, so throw me some more dough."

1 hour ago, MathMan said:

good, green bay on its way to a top ten first round pick!

Yeah I suppose Green Bay's roster isn't quite what it used to be, and maybe Aaron Rodgers will have a case of the yips after another injury filled season. On the bright side at least they will have the Saints 1st round pick, which should be a pick in the high 20's/low 30's :D

2 hours ago, Twizlers said:

No one is going to trade for a suspended RB who is holding out for a new contract and likely already hit his prime last year.  I can't believe he thinks he has leverage holding out.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Smart move tbh.  Holdout for more money before anyone sees what your performance looks like at your current age without the help of PEDs.

Ingram's only leverage with a suspension is to threaten to sit out 8 weeks - he'd have to report before Week 9 IIRC to prevent his final year from rolling over to 2019, and also not be guaranteed, either.   Since NO gets the 1M back from his 4M suspension, and get any of the Week 5-8 holdout $ too, there's no real $ threat to the Saints.   Only Ingram loses $.     But he'd be threatening to hurt the Saints' chances of winning games by underperforming on O without the duo of him & Kamara for the first 8 weeks instead of the first 4 weeks alone. 

Now, Ingram's already losing 1M no matter what, so losing 1M more probably makes little difference to him.    Then the impact again becomes how missing his play threatens the Saints - maybe going 4-4 instead of 5-3/6-2, that impacts their ability to win the division, for example.  Problem is with Kamara there, it's hard to measure what impact losing Ingram will have for those specific games from weeks 5-8.  No doubt over a season, you'd rather have both guys - 521 touches went to the duo last year (and another 30 went to AP), it's not ideal to have 400+ to go to 1 guy.

Ingram might also be considering saving the wear and tear for 1M to minimize his risk of getting hurt - and hitting FA without getting run into the ground for 12 games much like PIT is doing with Leveon Bell (here being different in that Kamara obviously will get his touches).    I don't know if he's thinking that far ahead, though.

Either way, he doesn't have a lot of leverage.   

55 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

lol.

Professional sports: Where no one has ever intentionally taken PED's and it's always just a misunderstanding. I just wish more athletes would take the high road and just admit what they did.

This or people could just play without using anything performance enhancing.

1 hour ago, MathMan said:

good, green bay on its way to a top ten first round pick!

Not even close to that yet. Brees would still need to regress a lot more, the receiving core would need to bottom out with injuries, and the rushing production would need to be bottom half of the NFL at least. Even then, Brees, Sean Payton, and the defense believe it or not is good enough that the lowest record they will have is 8-8.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Smart move tbh.  Holdout for more money before anyone sees what your performance looks like at your current age without the help of PEDs.

To be fair, the time away from the game will allow him to look fresh when he steps onto the field again.

Archived