Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

53 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

The TO bad teammate stuff is sooo overblown.

So what if people in the locker room didn’t like his antics or him personally. He helped teams win.

Well that’s what they were arguing. That his antics hurt team’s ability to win and undermined the team goal. Now we can believe or not believe that, but that’s the belief of the people who weren’t voting for him

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

You insinuated Harrison garnered favour as he wasn't a disruption in the locker room, which to me has nothing to do with his Hall of Fame credibility. Anquan Boldin won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award, does that increase his chances of getting to Canton? Andre Johnson was a model professional and did a great deal for charity but when it comes to HOF credentials I'm focusing on his production.

On the field performance's speak for themselves and TO should have been first ballot.

It’s not the Hall of Stats though. A lot of people arguing for and against TO right now will argue for Eli Manning because he won 2 Super Bowls and was a big part in his team winning them.

The argument against him was that his off field issues were detriment to teams being successful and winning. 

18 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

As an introverted person I can see the appeal in doing your own thing with your close family and friends for special events...

But this is the damn Hall of Fame, and you're being inducted... There are a lot of guys who waited decades for their name to be called, but it came too late,  or after their time had passed, or it just never happened. 

This is the pinnacle achievement of your career, I couldn't imagine not being there to enjoy it. It's completely his decision though and quite frankly, I don't really care what the hell TO is doing.

Lets be real here. You can "do your own thing with your close family and friends for special events..." 365 days out of the year for your entire life.

Go at it. Knock it dead.

This day - induction into the HOF - happens one day in that lifetime - AND YOU CANT SHOW UP?

No "explanations."

No "reasons."

No "nada" other than TO's as a$$ - has always been an a$$ - and will forever be remembered as an a$$.

Talented football player no doubt - but an a$$.

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Lets be real here. You can "do your own thing with your close family and friends for special events..." 365 days out of the year for your entire life.

Go at it. Knock it dead.

This day - induction into the HOF - happens one day in that lifetime - AND YOU CANT SHOW UP?

No "explanations."

No "reasons."

No "nada" other than TO's as a$$ - has always been an a$$ - and will forever be remembered as an a$$.

So does the NFL draft...top picks skip it all the time. I have no problems with him (or anyone) skipping it. That decision alone is not good or bad or anything. That's a personal decision, and if he doesn't want to be there, he shouldn't be there.  If Barry Sanders had elected not to go to the hall of fame induction, I don't think that this is even a topic of conversation since he didn't have the combative relationship with the media or hall of fame. I have already admitted that it could appear petty given his tumultuous relationship with the HOF in recent years, but at the same time, it may not be. I have no idea...I just don't really give him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say he's classless with regards to this decision, like @LaserFocus did, though I will admit that there's a chance that it absolutely could be. I mean,  a lot of us believe that he's doing this as a publicity stunt / way to secure money etc etc. But what if it isn't? What if he really just gets together with friends and family, has a big HOF party somewhere with no cover? That wouldn't be classless or petty in the least. I think it would be pretty damn cool, honestly. Now, I think the odds of that are pretty low, as I said, not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but it is still a little too early for me to push my chips all in on the negative side of the table. 

But the decision not to go in general...that's really not negative or positive. 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

It’s not the Hall of Stats though. A lot of people arguing for and against TO right now will argue for Eli Manning because he won 2 Super Bowls and was a big part in his team winning them.

The argument against him was that his off field issues were detriment to teams being successful and winning. 

Which is hogwash and can not be proven and any evidence that can be presented strongly lies in his favour. 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

It’s not the HOF stats? Except that is the biggest indicator used. Stats are weighed by farrr the most. In most cases that’s measure because it typically tells you how great a player is. TO is one of the best ever and the stats back him up. By virtue of being one of the best ever he should be in the HOF.

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s not the HOF stats? Except that is the biggest indicator used. Stats are weighed by farrr the most. In most cases that’s measure because it typically tells you how great a player is. TO is one of the best ever and the stats back him up. By virtue of being one of the best ever he should be in the HOF.

Yeah and in the same breath you still have guys like Eli who likely gets in, Aikman, and Namaith getting who wouldn’t get in on stars. Even guys like Davis who only got in based off a peak and playoff runs. 

So it’s not the only thing considered. In fact Cris Carter had no argument against him being first ballot off of stats. 

And he was always getting in..... the fact that he waited like every modern WR not named Rice or Moss isn’t really a big deal

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Go at it. Knock it dead.

No "explanations."

No "reasons."

No one is obligated to do anything but die, him making this decision does not make him a bad person. Also, subverting forum censors like that is against the rules.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah and in the same breath you still have guys like Eli who likely gets in, Aikman, and Namaith getting who wouldn’t get in on stars. Even guys like Davis who only got in based off a peak and playoff runs. 

So it’s not the only thing considered. In fact Cris Carter had no argument against him being first ballot off of stats. 

And he was always getting in..... the fact that he waited like every modern WR not named Rice or Moss isn’t really a big deal

I've always heard that a good qualifier for HOF is whether or not you can tell the story of the NFL without mentioning that player, and how much you lose out on it if you do. Stats from TO and beating the 18-0 patriots and then beating them again from Manning are both big parts of that.

Archived