Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Don Hutson is typically considered the greatest WR of the pre Super Bowl era. 

Owens is considered by most to be the #3 guy behind Rice and Moss. Completely ridiculous to make him sit considering the class that was enshrined in 2016. 

Packers fan... Hutson has an argument along with Berry but that is a long era. In the 1950's and early 60's Berry was far and away the standard. Hutson was a bit before him. 

Every single person listed was a First Team All Decade (TO wasn't) either had a significant single season record or most of the All Time records (TO doesn't) and was generally the consensus best of their period of time (TO wasn't or at the very least is generally considered 2nd to Moss for his era). The point is the standard is incredibly high

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Packers fan... Hutson has an argument along with Berry but that is a long era. In the 1950's and early 60's Berry was far and away the standard. Hutson was a bit before him. 

Every single person listed was a First Team All Decade (TO wasn't) either had a significant single season record or most of the All Time records (TO doesn't) and was generally the consensus best of their period of time (TO wasn't or at the very least is generally considered 2nd to Moss for his era). The point is the standard is incredibly high

If you want to make the distinction that Berry played in the "Pre SB Era" and Hutson played in the "Dark Ages" I'll agree then that Berry was the best of the "Pre SB era" but there's an argument to be made that no player in NFL history was ever so much better than their peers than Hutson. 

Why is TO being compared to past great WRs and not the 2016 HOF class? Unless you think Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison and Ken Stabler were all more worthy of induction, the man got jobbed. 

TO should have been on the All-Decade team. Instead Marvin Harrison got it. Why? Because the same people who vote on the HOF vote on the All-Decade team. And many had an axe to grind with TO as a person and not as a player, an absolutely laughable position in hindsight.

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

You're observations are 1 +1 - both wrong - and right.

He wont regret one thing. TO's a Grade A / Top of the Line / Prime Cut narcissist. They dont have regrets. They have reasons.

And that - will never change.

No. Jerry Rice is a narcissist. Owens is not.

https://owensdefense.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/what-a-horrible-teammate111/

9 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

I think you're claiming the world is black while most others are claiming the world is white. In actuality there is a hugely vast spectrum of gray in between those extreme positions. Like almost all situations, this falls somewhere into that gray area. 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

Yeah and in the same breath you still have guys like Eli who likely gets in, Aikman, and Namaith getting who wouldn’t get in on stars. Even guys like Davis who only got in based off a peak and playoff runs. 

So it’s not the only thing considered. In fact Cris Carter had no argument against him being first ballot off of stats. 

And he was always getting in..... the fact that he waited like every modern WR not named Rice or Moss isn’t really a big deal

I said in most cases. And we can all agree the QB position has a different metric. It’s not just about stats due to the perceived importance of the position. Cris Carter had to wait ridiculously long and much longer than he should have but he doesn’t sniff TO. TO, Moss And Rice have separated from the pack. Heck you might find a small section of people who think TO is better than Moss. Statistically Moss and TO are comparable, yet Moss doesn’t wait but TO does? And why? We all know why

I don't think 3 years is a terribly long wait. HE should have been a sure-fire first rounder, though.

I think it's stupid T.O. is doing this, however. We all know why the media didn't vote him in and he's showing them they were right. T.O. only cares about himself and the spotlight pointed directly at him. I mean it's pretty much the same reason is took Cris Carter 6 years to get in...he's a tremendous prick. All of his stats are there just like T.O's but nobody could stand the guy and that includes his teammates.

If I were T.O., I would have used the HOF as a giant middle finger to the media and showed up to the ceremony for his fans. Instead, Owens is just making the media say "And THIS is why we didn't vote him in earlier."

It's only fitting that a player like Jerry Kramer is going in the same year. If this doesn't tell the tail of two people I don't know what will. For everything Owens could never represent Kramer does 10 fold. I would expected nothing less of Owners. The Ultimate "me" man. Even Moss grew up. Owens is nothing more than a troll. I know the rest of 2018 class will be nothing but class, and enjoy their day.

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

It's only fitting that a player like Jerry Kramer is going in the same year. If this doesn't tell the tail of two people I don't know what will. For everything Owens could never represent Kramer does 10 fold. I would expected nothing less of Owners. The Ultimate "me" man. Even Moss grew up. Owens is nothing more than a troll. I know the rest of 2018 class will be nothing but class, and enjoy their day.

Ah yes, nothing says class like sending unsolicited pics of your junk to a reporter while married to a breast cancer survivor.

Moss certainly wasn't an altar boy with several incidents in his past. Having paid out money for hitting a woman with his car while high and having done 1 month in jail for domestic battery and two months later for showing up at the jail while high.

Ray Lewis probably killed a man or at least attempted to destroy evidence of a murder.

Owens has his issues with his child support and what not, but let's not act like this is some group of saints being inducted here.

Archived