The Travel Thread

23 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Honestly, when it comes to food, I'll try anything. I'm not a shirt a tie guy if you get what I'm saying.  I was thinking local cuisine like Cuban was suggested but I'm not limited to that. Usually when I travel, I find a place with some good prime rib. I'll have a beer at dinner but figured I'd walk that strip later for some margaritas or something like that.

Edit: let me note I do not want to travel lol. Someplace close is ideal. I'm not big on driving around big cities I'm not familiar with. I was thinking on Ubering to where Los Alos dead ends into A1 then just getting out and walking around

That's walkable with enough alcohol and a pretty cheap uber ride. Definitely more dive bars and a younger crowd toward Lauderdale Beach. It's Florida so formal attire can include a short sleeve button down and flip-flops. Run a quick Yelp search for whatever you're in the mood for. Not a huge Cuban scene in that area, but definitely decent pizza and Italian. 

4 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

That's walkable with enough alcohol and a pretty cheap uber ride. Definitely more dive bars and a younger crowd toward Lauderdale Beach. It's Florida so formal attire can include a short sleeve button down and flip-flops. Run a quick Yelp search for whatever you're in the mood for. Not a huge Cuban scene in that area, but definitely decent pizza and Italian. 

I was briefly talking to my neighbor about this and oddly enough, they were down there a couple years ago and raved about Spazio which is literally on the corner of where I was planning the Uber driver to drop me off. I feel it's fate lol. Looks really good and they said it was awesome. That'll probably be my spot unless it's packed it something then I'll take myself elsewhere. They have the scene you spoke of in your last sentence but it looks fantastic. Lox is my shhh and they have a flatbread that mimicks it. Sounds amazing

Bangkok was a mixed bag. I enjoyed it more each day I was there, initial feeling was it was a trashbag. The biggest issue is transportation sucks. We tried relying on Tuk-Tuks and cabs the first day. MISTAKE! Skytrain, Walking and Riverboats [14 baht steal] way better. Tuk Tuks in Siem Reap were awesome, Bangkok was a nightmare. Overall if you are into shopping, debauchery, partying, Bangkok is the place for you. If you are not into that stuff, it doesnt offer much else better East Asian cities offer. 

If you find yourself in Bangkok for a few days, I highly recommend Wildlife Friends of Thailand [Two hours outside the city]. Awesome refuge for rescued show animals and pets.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Honestly, when it comes to food, I'll try anything. I'm not a shirt a tie guy if you get what I'm saying.  I was thinking local cuisine like Cuban was suggested but I'm not limited to that. Usually when I travel, I find a place with some good prime rib. I'll have a beer at dinner but figured I'd walk that strip later for some margaritas or something like that.

Edit: let me note I do not want to travel lol. Someplace close is ideal. I'm not big on driving around big cities I'm not familiar with. I was thinking on Ubering to where Los Alos dead ends into A1 then just getting out and walking around

Well I'm not a pants kind of guy, but I don't have to brag about it.

When traveling, the locals always are good to tell you the best place. My mother-in-law writes down where they say to go, and keeps a tally. The places she gets the most tallies, she goes to. Regardless of being a few towns over or traveling around the US. She's done it since my wife was little so I imagine it has worked well for her.

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Well I'm not a pants kind of guy, but I don't have to brag about it.

When traveling, the locals always are good to tell you the best place. My mother-in-law writes down where they say to go, and keeps a tally. The places she gets the most tallies, she goes to. Regardless of being a few towns over or traveling around the US. She's done it since my wife was little so I imagine it has worked well for her.

Trip advisor and yelp are usually pretty good at pointing you in the right direction as well in my experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Trip advisor and yelp are usually pretty good at pointing you in the right direction as well in my experience.

I'm going to be completely honest. I forgot yelp was still in business. lol

Damn hippies using technology to answer all your questions. Back in my day we risked getting stabbed to get an answer about places to eat...

• Like 2

On 7/13/2018 at 11:21 PM, animaltested said:

Bangkok was a mixed bag. I enjoyed it more each day I was there, initial feeling was it was a trashbag. The biggest issue is transportation sucks. We tried relying on Tuk-Tuks and cabs the first day. MISTAKE! Skytrain, Walking and Riverboats [14 baht steal] way better. Tuk Tuks in Siem Reap were awesome, Bangkok was a nightmare. Overall if you are into shopping, debauchery, partying, Bangkok is the place for you. If you are not into that stuff, it doesnt offer much else better East Asian cities offer. 

If you find yourself in Bangkok for a few days, I highly recommend Wildlife Friends of Thailand [Two hours outside the city]. Awesome refuge for rescued show animals and pets.

Bangkok is a nightmare. Been there a few times and never love it as much as other cities in Southeast Asia. 

23 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yelp overseas is fantastic.  A buddy told me to use it when we went to Italy because the hotel concierge would just send us to tourist spots.   Sure enough the first night we arrived in Venice, the concierge gave us recommendations to two places.  Both places we checked online and everyone complained how they were just tourist spots.  Ended up just going to places rated well on Yelp, and they were fantastic.  I've used it now in Italy, Australia, and Spain.  Has worked out well every time...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm going to be completely honest. I forgot yelp was still in business. lol

Yelp is legit lol. I do use it all the time when traveling. Hell, I found our engagement photographer on Yelp when I got em done in Vegas two years ago lol. They were incredible people and photos also.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Yelp is legit lol. I do use it all the time when traveling. Hell, I found our engagement photographer on Yelp when I got em done in Vegas two years ago lol. They were incredible people and photos also.

Yeah Yelp is good! I love telling on people!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Spent the last few days in Singapore... and it was amazing. It definitely supplanted Seoul and Osaka as my favorite city. All cities in the world should aspire to what Singapore has done. 

On my shortlist of places to move to for the next school year. Most people I talk to think it's too sterile, but I love it. 

44 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Targeting a Calgary - Cancun double header in February. From 30F to 85F. 10 days in each. Feel kinda dirty using fahrenheit, but needs must on this occasion.

Anybody been to Mexico?

Yes. Tip one, drink the water.