The Travel Thread

40 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hello friendos!

I am actually on hold with Royal Carribean customer service to cancel our honeymoon cruise in October, and I need alternatives.

Here's my dream scenario:
Relatively not too expensive
I want to drink and go out and have a good time if I can
Beaches are preferable

I do NOT have my passport currently, it expired and my fiancee has never gotten one. Anyway, whatcha got?

St John USVI. Tixs aren't too bad right now. Great beaches. Easy to get around. Bars and restaurants also give you alcohol to go. No passport needed.

If you are curious about particular countries the US embassy sites have some helpful information, although obviously things are changing day by day.  For example:

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• The Greek government’s announced plan for re-opening (subject to change at any time): 
    • May 18:  Travel restrictions within the country will be lifted, allowing movement from one prefecture to another, except for islands.  Movement to the islands of Crete and Evia is permitted.  Museums and cultural sites open.  Some organized beaches open with social distancing measures.  Ferries to some locations begin at 50 percent capacity to permit workers to return.
    • May 25:  Restaurants and coffee shops operate open-air premises only.  Travel by ferry to and from islands is permitted.  Verify the schedule with the ferry operator prior to purchasing a ticket.  Masks are required (cloth recommended).  Passengers must complete a health status questionnaire and submit to a temperature check prior to boarding for trips longer than 30 minutes.  The form is available here in English and Greek, and available at the ports.
    • June 1:  Shopping malls, department stores, and hotels that operate year round open.
    • Early June:  Interior spaces of restaurants and coffee shops open.
    • June 15:  Seasonal tourist accommodations open.  *See Entry and Exit Requirements below.* 
  • No flights between Greece and Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, Turkey, and the Netherlands until the end of May.  Flights to Germany began May 18.  See Flights to/from the United States.
  • No quarantine for those entering Greece from Bulgaria as of June 1.  All other land borders remain closed.
  • The Greek authorities banned entry of non-EU citizens until 11:00 p.m. on June 15.  Exceptions include spouses or minor children of EU/Schengen nationals, long-term residents, members of government delegations, and passengers in transit.  Check with your airline for document requirements as your marriage certificate or your children’s birth certificates may be required to board.  As of today, we do not have any information after June 15 and cannot answer whether your travel plans after this date can proceed.
  • By the end of May, the Greek authorities are expected to publish a list of countries from which they will accept tourists and the schedule.   We will update this page when the list is available.

2 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

St John USVI. Tixs aren't too bad right now. Great beaches. Easy to get around. Bars and restaurants also give you alcohol to go. No passport needed.

Curious is there an all inclusive option for any of them? this sounds perfect.

3 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Curious is there an all inclusive option for any of them? this sounds perfect.

I believe St Thomas and St Croix do, but IDK about St John. My Wife and i did our honeymoon there, rented an AirBNB and Jeep and had no issues getting around the island. Drive on the opposite side of rode, but you go like max 25 MPH and traffic is pretty light, even in their little towns. 90% of the island is a national park, has some of the best beaches in the world. Also has a beach called Honeymoon Bay, which was fun to visit.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I would definitely rent a car in Hawaii. You are going to want to get out and see the island.

See that's my thought unless I could get like an organized tour setup by a hotel concierge.

You want time alone with your charming bride in the car to explore - its the best part.
Organized tours are cool too, but they have a set time, limited flexibility. 
On a honeymoon, yer gonna want extra time in bed. Trust me on this one, go easy on the schedules

Also, grab a copy of this book and they'll show you both the popular tourist spots AND the locally - known cool spots with few people.
Totally worth it and there's one dedicated to each island. We've done helo tours on 3 of the islands, spendy but worth it if you get a good tour company

513kyfdea1L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

You want time alone with your charming bride in the car to explore - its the best part.
Organized tours are cool too, but they have a set time, limited flexibility. 
On a honeymoon, yer gonna want extra time in bed. Trust me on this one, go easy on the schedules

Also, grab a copy of this book and they'll show you both the popular tourist spots AND the locally - known cool spots with few people.
Totally worth it and there's one dedicated to each island. We've done helo tours on 3 of the islands, spendy but worth it if you get a good tour company

513kyfdea1L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks! Any insight on best places for booking? Still between big island and Waikiki.