The Travel Thread

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is seriously a stressful topic for me.  In every apocalyptic movie, I always wonder and lament what happened to the dogs stuck inside houses.  I sometimes think I’m not quite alright.

There's a Will Smith to put them out of their misery?

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

So New Orleans. One thing. What is it. What do I do there. I dont care how popular or obscure. Free or expensive. Just what is it and why do you recommend it.

Eat food, drink. Get coffee and beignets, drink more.

As far as food goes, poboys, muffaletta, and gumbo are my only musts.

8 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Eat food, drink. Get coffee and beignets, drink more.

As far as food goes, poboys, muffaletta, and gumbo are my only musts.

22 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

So New Orleans. One thing. What is it. What do I do there. I dont care how popular or obscure. Free or expensive. Just what is it and why do you recommend it.

Anywhere in particular to eat and drink? The cuisine is what I most look forward to probably. Followed by the warmer weather outside and jazz music.

Just looking for one specific thing that is special to them from their experience in New Orleans.

Edited by DoleINGout

How old are you? The French Quarter and Bourbon street are a dump but it's a charming dump. Bourbon Street is the big one for drinking. It's all really walkable too but I wouldn't wander too far from Bourbon street at night if you're going out. For me personally, Bourbon street is much more fun as a day drinking place. For drinks, Pat O'Briens is famous for the Hurricane but it's served pretty everywhere. It's a tasty and lethal drink, but basically just fruit punch. Tropical Island's Hand Grenade is also lethal and tasty. If you get tired of the way too sugary drinks go for a sazerac.

When I was last there, friends talked me into going on a ghost tour in the French quarter. I'm not really a believer of paranormal stuff but I thought it was actually interesting.

No real recommendations for gumbo, but for a poboy, go to Erin Rose. Muffaletta sandwich, Central Grocery and Deli. Beignets and coffee, cafe Du Monde(but be prepared for long lines and don't wear dark clothes).

I don't know how I forgot to mention it earlier but go to the World War 2 museum. It's absolutely one of the best museums you could every possibly go to. I spent almost 5 hours there and wish I had more time to look around at stuff. I change what I said earlier. WW2 museum is literally the only must-do thing for NO. Everything else is a distant second at best. 

For the record, Seattle was still pretty cool, even with the COVID scare.  The restaurant that we planned on going to closed just before we got there, but there were still people and we were just ordering raw seafood, so they let us in.  Geoduck is tasty, yall.  They even put our beers on the house.  So I guess if, when this all blows over, and anyone's heading to Washington, Taylor Shellfish and Oyster Bar on Republican Street is a cool place with nice people running it.

The Pike Place market still had a lot of stuff open, despite the situation.  And the weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would.

And holy crap, that weed is too much for me.  We had to leave like half of what we bought with our friends.

So yeah, cool place.  Would definitely like to go again and see more of the parks and things, but under better conditions, of course.

Edited by Daniel

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

For the record, Seattle was still pretty cool, even with the COVID scare.  The restaurant that we planned on going to closed just before we got there, but there were still people and we were just ordering raw seafood, so they let us in.  Geoduck is tasty, yall.  They even put our beers on the house.  So I guess if, when this all blows over, and anyone's heading to Washington, Taylor Shellfish and Oyster Bar on Republican Street is a cool place with nice people running it.

The Pike Place market still had a lot of stuff open, despite the situation.  And the weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would.

And holy crap, that weed is too much for me.  We had to leave like half of what we bought with our friends.

So yeah, cool place.  Would definitely like to go again and see more of the parks and things, but under better conditions, of course.

You really lucked out. We have had more sun this last week, than the last few months combined. 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:07 PM, Calvert28 said:

Shocked this thread is still going after the travel bans and everything else going on.

It's a struggle because it's such an unknown. I just got an alert for July 4th weekend to go to Orlando for flight, hotel and car for 4 days 3 nights for $800 for two people. If I had travel insurance it's another $50 total. I desperately want to book this, but obviously fear is keeping me from pulling the trigger.