Cyberpunk 2077

Geek

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Of course not. I guess you can do what you want, but I wouldn't buy it on the PS4.

No no. I have a PS5. The PS4 version is backwards compatible and a PS5 upgrade is supposed to come early next year. But I'm reading that the game crashes often on PS5 in even with the new update that came out a couple days ago. I wouldn't want to drop $60 on a broken game, but $45 with the hope of a PS5 upgrade coming in a couple of months...maybe.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

No no. I have a PS5. The PS4 version is backwards compatible and a PS5 upgrade is supposed to come early next year. But I'm reading that the game crashes often on PS5 in even with the new update that came out a couple days ago. I wouldn't want to drop $60 on a broken game, but $45 with the hope of a PS5 upgrade coming in a couple of months...maybe.

I play on ps5 and it's playable... Yes it does crash quite a bit but thankfully the game autosaves frequently so you're never going to have to go back far because of a crash. 

Personally I'm enjoying the game enough to deal with the crashes and other bugs the game has... Some people may not... Just depends on the person and how much you like the game. 

But ultimately for 45 bucks I'd say it's worth it... If you don't want to deal with the crashes and bugs you can always just wait to actually play it until they roll out some more patches.. Just because you buy it now doesn't mean you have to play it now.

Man watched some more vids of what it’s like last gen, yeah they should’ve just pushed it back for XB1 and PS4.

I’ve noticed two bugs, one has happen a handful of times where you have to walk away and come back to loot a body. The other was something Jackie had got swapped with his gun, which undercut the moment. Other than that it’s been no problem on XSX. That latest patch made it look even better too.

I’m tabling it though to go back to Valhalla. Love existing in the city and the gunplay has been more fun to me than I thought. But there are definitely some questionable omissions from the game. Like there is no customization aside clothes and implants post character creation. Like that’s so odd in this game not to have a barber or tattoo shop. It feels like they should’ve done a lap around the genre of open world rpg and make sure they got all the basic boxes ticked.

There a absolutely is a great game here and I was enjoying it as such. But feel like that extra bit of detail work (which would’ve probably come from dropping last gen) could’ve taken it over the top. Have no doubt it’ll get there, I’m hoping we get the Full Next gen version by March, along with some of that stuff added in. They added in a barber to Witcher 3, Skyrim had that face changing person as a dlc I think. Like it’s nothing new, just odd to have to wait for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

If you have a PS5 then I would get it, especially at $45. I have it on PS5 and it runs great. 60 FPS and the game looks good, for the most part. There are some bugs, but I haven't had anything gamebreaking yet. Most I have had is like when I'm walking to a car with someone from the story, they'll walk through the car to get to the driver side instead of walking around it lol

36 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Man watched some more vids of what it’s like last gen, yeah they should’ve just pushed it back for XB1 and PS4.

What they should have done is scrapped those consoles with ancient hardware and focused on developing the game for PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC only. This is what I wish Halo Infinite, Horizon Forbidden West and other games coming out in the future would do. This would make the game much better.

So glad the new Ratchet and Clank game and Gran Turismo 7 are PS5 only and will not be on PS4.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, showtime said:

What they should have done is scrapped those consoles with ancient hardware and focused on developing the game for PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC only. This is what I wish Halo Infinite, Horizon Forbidden West and other games coming out in the future would do. This would make the game much better.

So glad the new Ratchet and Clank game and Gran Turismo 7 are PS5 only and will not be on PS4.

God of War, The Last of Us 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 all could look good. I don’t blame it entirely on the hardware so much as CDPR needing to get their ambition in check. They could either make a groundbreaking RPG or a really fun game with boosts on next gen.  They tried to straddle both and did a disservice to everyone including themselves.

That said I was having a lot of fun with it and they had a lot great stuff I hope games copy in the future. Who knows, maybe with no COVID this comes out as the February 2021 version and it’s praised by all. 

I think the easy solution was shelf the last gen version until Spring, let a team fine tooth comb and optimize stuff specifically for those systems. Yeah it’ll be a lesser version, but people would be more forgivable. 

That’s the only thing I hold against them, shielding how bad last gen was. Had they been up front I’d have now issues. I’ve played RPGs like 20 years at this point l, I’m used to everything else. Especially modern ones with bugs and patches. It sucks but it happens like every time. 

14 hours ago, Kiltman said:

God of War, The Last of Us 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 all could look good. I don’t blame it entirely on the hardware so much as CDPR needing to get their ambition in check. They could either make a groundbreaking RPG or a really fun game with boosts on next gen.  They tried to straddle both and did a disservice to everyone including themselves.

I'm really not a big fan of the comparisons with previous gen games. The amount of unique visual assets on screen in Cyberpunk is an order of magnitude higher than any of the games you mentioned. Not to mention that 2/3 of those games (God of War and TLoU2) are effectively linear, non-open world games (I get that GoW has open world elements, but it's not truly open world). Linear games are much easier to optimize for as you know exactly the player is going to be looking at and interacting with in any given part of the game. You could focus all of your resources on those things and neglect the more minor, background details. This is how Sony's blockbuster exclusives are able to look so good. Open world games, though, you never really know where or what the player is going to be doing. Thus if you want to make a truly immersive environment, you have to make sure everything (within reason) meets a certain visual quality standard. Now, when comparing another open world game like Red Dead to Cyberpunk, all you really have to do is compare the density between the two games. Cyberpunk often times has dozens or hundreds of sky scrapers, road signs, vending machines, posters, TV screens, NPCs, and all of the other thousands of tiny details that go into building a city that feels alive all within the players field of view at any given time. That's an insane amount of assets to render in at any given moment. Most games just reduce the render quality of these assets to allow the game to run on other lesser hardware, but it appears that wasn't enough for CDPR to achieve a stable frame rate even when doing that.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure if CDPR continues to push out optimization patches it'll come along. I just don't think looking at other, less technically demanding games and comparing them makes much sense.

2 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I'm really not a big fan of the comparisons with previous gen games. The amount of unique visual assets on screen in Cyberpunk is an order of magnitude higher than any of the games you mentioned. Not to mention that 2/3 of those games (God of War and TLoU2) are effectively linear, non-open world games (I get that GoW has open world elements, but it's not truly open world). Linear games are much easier to optimize for as you know exactly the player is going to be looking at and interacting with in any given part of the game. You could focus all of your resources on those things and neglect the more minor, background details. This is how Sony's blockbuster exclusives are able to look so good. Open world games, though, you never really know where or what the player is going to be doing. Thus if you want to make a truly immersive environment, you have to make sure everything (within reason) meets a certain visual quality standard. Now, when comparing another open world game like Red Dead to Cyberpunk, all you really have to do is compare the density between the two games. Cyberpunk often times has dozens or hundreds of sky scrapers, road signs, vending machines, posters, TV screens, NPCs, and all of the other thousands of tiny details that go into building a city that feels alive all within the players field of view at any given time. That's an insane amount of assets to render in at any given moment. Most games just reduce the render quality of these assets to allow the game to run on other lesser hardware, but it appears that wasn't enough for CDPR to achieve a stable frame rate even when doing that.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure if CDPR continues to push out optimization patches it'll come along. I just don't think looking at other, less technically demanding games and comparing them makes much sense.

I appreciate this and I know. The games weren’t supposed to be the main point. It’s because of what CDPR is trying to do that they needed to push the last gen, because just lowering the resolution or allowing the frame rates to dip is making it unplayable.

Last gen is still very capable of having a fun solid version of Cyberpunk that doesn’t look and play like crap. It’ll never reach the visual fidelity of its countparts on Next Gen and PC, nor will it even be the prettiest game when compared to others on last gen. The initial point was they aren’t archaic machines totally incapable of doing the task. They can still do this game in some way on last gen and not have it be so far off.

They don’t have the budget of a Rockstar or the extremely narrow build sku of a Naughty Dog. They were trying to stick the landing on Five different platforms (6 with stadia....way more when you try to tally XOX PS4 Pro and all the PC stuff). Something needed to give in either vision or one side of it had to sidelined. They chose neither and have somehow pissed off most people. Most of which last gen people, but also people playing what very clearly is a next gen game that has been held back.

They have the ability to smartly scale down, optimize the game for last gen and make it playable. The systems can handle a more reigned in version. That takes time and they should’ve given it to them. Instead of what just seems like the mangled remnants of a suitcase that the randomly ripped stuff out of to make the requirements to get on a last minute for a flight.

But honestly I’ve only been able to pick up bits and pieces about what it’s actually like. It really must be a night and day difference l because it’s been pretty great on Series X. Looks even better for the PC which already has some of the stuff that will come in the next gen patch.

Yeah God of War looks good, but the game runs at 30 FPS on PS4, which sucks.

I think the console was great when it released seven years ago, but technology has advanced so much in that time frame.

Games on PS4 just don't even look that good compared to today's standards and run like crap. I guess you get used to it if that's all you play, but once you play on a superior system you notice tons of stuff. The consoles had a great run, but stick a fork in them and move on.

Like 7 years ago, this would be amazing:

kTDmhLA.jpeg

But now....

oe70EyO.jpg

Look at the massive difference in lighting and how clear stuff looks. And this isn't even a game that was made solely for the PS5, so it could be even better if it wasn't being held back by having to be dumbed down so it can run on a console with ancient hardware.

Someone posted a TLDR of CDPR's investor meeting. 

Basically, CDPR knew the console version was garbo, but bet on themselves they could finish optimizing and fixing it before release. They failed obviously. 

TBH, Im enjoying the game, but it would have been WAY better if CDPR had just but the game back in the oven until Spring 2021. COVID obviously hit them hard, and the Dec 2020 hard release did not do them any favors. Plus with Sony, Nvidia and AMD having serious hardware availability issues right now, people ended up having to run the game on less than ideal hardware. My 1080TI & 8700K handles the game well, but Id be enjoying it alot more on a 3080 + Ryzen 5900x/10900k. Im sure many people would have preferred playing this on a PS5 too.

Sad thing is, nothing is going to improve anytime soon, as the bulk of the CDPR team is on holiday until February. Good for them, but things are not going to get much better anytime soon.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

Those Spiderman screenshots are deceiving, totally different times of day. If both posted a picture from the second screenshot, it's more similar than you think. Although PS5 is clearly better obviously. But not "miles" better by any stretch of the imagination.

Basically falling for marketing. Needs to be the exact same time of day in the game to compare.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1