2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

What are people's thoughts on Ryan Finley?

I really like him. He has an NFL playing style at NC State. Rhythm thrower capable of hitting multiple route concepts against man and zone. Great throwing outside the numbers. Excellent at getting the ball out quickly. Seems to read through progressions. Ample arm strength. I don't know what his size is, but he passes the eye test. Seems like he's at least adequate in terms of ht/wt/spd.

I think he could climb and climb and climb, becoming a mid-late 1st round pick. I need to see more (only 2 1/2 games so far), but I like what I see. He seems like a dude with a low floor. I don't see him doing a lot of boneheaded things out there.

19 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

For the 2nd time this year. And the for the 2nd time the backup Hillinski has looked markedly better.

I liked Luke Falk as a college player but even to somebody like myself who expected good things from Washington State this year, Falk always struck me as borderline draftable. Absolutely floored he started getting 1st round hype. He's not even close to being an NFL-caliber starter. 

22 hours ago, Groink said:

Very efficient, doesn't turn the ball over, goes through his progressions well, accurate.  I'm not buying into the hype, but he's rising up boards and is solid.

I was interested in Virginia's Kurt Benkert as an underrated riser over Finley.  He's dropped a couple clunkers the past two weeks though.  He doesn't have much skill-player talent around him though.  Something to keep an eye on.

Benekert is definitely on the rise and NFL FO people are starting to notice him. Finley is getting zero love from NFL scouts.

On 10/29/2017 at 1:05 PM, BrownLeader said:

For the 2nd time this year. And the for the 2nd time the backup Hillinski has looked markedly better.

The first "benching" was because he got his head rattled as ****.  Though that's an entirely different concern with Falk actually.  He's had concussion issues already.  That doesn't get better.

I cautioned people before the season that they were overrating Darnold, and now, people have gone too far in the other direction. Darnold should declare. I'd definitely take him top 5. He's a young kid, and he'll have growing pains, but he's a phenomenal talent. The kid is making a mistake if he goes back to SC. 

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I cautioned people before the season that they were overrating Darnold, and now, people have gone too far in the other direction. Darnold should declare. I'd definitely take him top 5. He's a young kid, and he'll have growing pains, but he's a phenomenal talent. The kid is making a mistake if he goes back to SC. 

Agreed. I hate when people overcorrect for overrated prospects.

1. Darnold gets talked about as Andrew Luck type prospect.

2. People see him throw a few INT's this year.

3. He's garbage and should go back to school.

When in reality, it should have been:

1. Darnold looks really good, but he'll need to continue progressing to be an Andrew Luck type prospect.

2. Darnold has thrown some picks, looks like a mortal capable of making errors.

3. Darnold still has a great ceiling and a relatively low floor, which for a QB prospect, is worthy of a #1 overall selection.

This happens year in and year out. People hear "overrated" enough times and start drastically dropping guys on their draft boards. He's still the frontrunner for the #1 pick in my opinion. Yes, he might go back for his senior season. But it isn't because his stock has plummeted. I don't know NFL people, but I'm willing to bet he's 95% of most NFL teams top QB and therefore, a QB-needy team at #1 overall (Browns) would be the logical selection. Will he peace out to avoid Cleveland? Maybe. But people are freaking out about a few bad performances that really weren't all THAT bad.

I'm really liking what I see from Ryan Finely and I have no clue why no one is talking about him. Clean mechanics, deceive , accurate, shows he can tough it out and take a lick while delivering the ball. That post route where he connected deep against Clemson he took a shot and still delivered a pretty deep ball. 

Trying to accurately draw a solid comparison for him. He's accurate and does a good job hitting all levels with hitting progressions and hitting receivers in stride. 

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. His stock is high for teams like the Giants and browns desperate for QB help now and the future with San Diego being in the mix and New Orleans. He will go first round. 

Darnold coming back for another year will expose him. I'm not the biggest fan. But everyone overrated Jameis Winston coming out despite having all the flaws that makes qbs bust. Mechanics are sloppy and turnovers are high. Turnovers get coaches fired and qbs benched. 

19 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Yep. His stock is high for teams like the Giants and browns desperate for QB help now and the future with San Diego being in the mix and New Orleans. He will go first round. 

Is there any real doubt about him going in the 1st round?  Short of his arm falling off, he's going in the 1st round.

Not a lot of Lamar Jackson love on this forum.  I’ve seen him mocked #1 overall in a different reputable website.  He’s the most dynamic runner at qb since Michael Vick.  Is his passing ability so bad that you pass up his athleticism?  Asking for a friend...

42 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Not a lot of Lamar Jackson love on this forum.  I’ve seen him mocked #1 overall in a different reputable website.  He’s the most dynamic runner at qb since Michael Vick.  Is his passing ability so bad that you pass up his athleticism?  Asking for a friend...

I think he has a legit shot at going number 1. I think some people have cooled on him because his team isn't winning (which is ridiculous), and some simply just don't like scrambling QB's. However, I think he's shown quite a bit of progress this season. His accuracy has improved this season. He's gotten better about scrambling to avoid pressure while making plays with his arm downfield instead of just taking off and running. Basically I think even though the hype level for him being a top 5 pick (or so) right now isn't all that high on this board, once the Underwear Olympics start and he absolutely blows up the combine, there will be a heard of people jumping on the top 5 bandwagon. That said just knowing how much arm talent he has right now and his effortless ability to deliver the ball at all levels of the field with the flick of a wrist..Paired with athletic ability that is among the best ever at the position, I think there is no way he isn't a top 5 pick. Whether or not he's a bit more of a risk than some of the other QB prospects is a whole different conversation, but he's got as high of a ceiling as anyone in college football 

Archived