Propose a Trade/Trade Rumors Thread

devils1854

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea how to effectively evaluate the value of Matt Carpenter.  He's already past 4 WAR, and he's been safely above 3 WAR since he's been a full-time player.  So I think that's a conservative estimation, so say 3 WAR over the rest of the contract.  They're probably getting an extra ~$20M in surplus value between the rest of this year and next year, and that's assuming you don't pick up his 2020 option.

Cardinals Get: OF Cristian Pache, RHP Freddy Tarnok
Braves Get: 3B Matt Carpenter

What do you think @devils1854?

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea how to effectively evaluate the value of Matt Carpenter.  He's already past 4 WAR, and he's been safely above 3 WAR since he's been a full-time player.  So I think that's a conservative estimation, so say 3 WAR over the rest of the contract.  They're probably getting an extra ~$20M in surplus value between the rest of this year and next year, and that's assuming you don't pick up his 2020 option.

Cardinals Get: OF Cristian Pache, RHP Freddy Tarnok
Braves Get: 3B Matt Carpenter

What do you think @devils1854?

I can speak on @devils1854 behalf and tell you that trade is a million miles off.

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

You also don't want Carp at 3rd.

Lulz.  He's been worth 8 DRS and -0.2 UZR/150 over 500 innings.  Let's not pretend he's some butcher defensively.  Meanwhile, Mike Moustakas has been worth 3 DRS and 4.3 UZR/150.  He's a serviceable defender there.

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

Also why not target Donaldson or Moose if you want a 3B?  They'll be cheaper than Carp.

Injured and playing poorly isn't a good combination unless you're going bargain bin shopping.  I mean, I suppose if you're hoarding prospects then it makes sense, but I don't think there's much of an argument to choose Josh Donaldson over Matt Carpenter.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Lulz.  He's been worth 8 DRS and -0.2 UZR/150 over 500 innings.  Let's not pretend he's some butcher defensively.  Meanwhile, Mike Moustakas has been worth 3 DRS and 4.3 UZR/150.  He's a serviceable defender there.

Sure...500 innings when he was healthy.  Which he is, because he's not throwing.  He's got over a year of back/shoulder problems.  Again, you don't want Carp at third.

Johan Camargo

-283 PA, .261/.357/.441, .346 wOBA, 117 wRC, 12.0 BB%, 18.4 K%, 1.8 WAR(basically gold glove caliber defense)

Matt Carpenter

-409 PA, .275/.384/.583, .404 wOBA, 156 wRC, 14.7 BB%, 23.2 K%, 4.2 WAR(bad defense)

We could look at June 1st to now to see how Camargo has been since he took over the starting position. .287/.345/.453, .346 wOBA(with gold glove defense)

Carpenter is 32. Has never had production like this before in his life, and he has one year left on his deal.

AA would probably offer Kyle Muller and maybe Tucker Davidson.

You arent getting him to get off any major prospects unless its for an actual impact guy that will be with the team for multiple years.

10 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Johan Camargo

-283 PA, .261/.357/.441, .346 wOBA, 117 wRC, 12.0 BB%, 18.4 K%, 1.8 WAR(basically gold glove caliber defense)

Matt Carpenter

-409 PA, .275/.384/.583, .404 wOBA, 156 wRC, 14.7 BB%, 23.2 K%, 4.2 WAR(bad defense)

We could look at June 1st to now to see how Camargo has been since he took over the starting position. .287/.345/.453, .346 wOBA(with gold glove defense)

Carpenter is 32. Has never had production like this before in his life, and he has one year left on his deal.

AA would probably offer Kyle Muller and maybe Tucker Davidson.

You arent getting him to get off any major prospects unless its for an actual impact guy that will be with the team for multiple years.

I can cherry pick stats too.  Other than power numbers, Carp's numbers are all in line with his career averages.  So let's not pretend like Carp is hitting .300/.400/.500 right now.  He's just hitting for a bit more power than normal.  Despite Camargo playing "GG caliber defense", he's got a better UZR/150 but Carpenter has 7 more DRS than him with ~30 innings more.  But no, Carp's a bad defender.  Again, he's serviceable defensively.

And I wouldn't say I was asking for a major prospect for him, but it's going to take more than your fringe prospects who are trending in the wrong direction.

Archived