Big Brother 20 (no spoilers)

Malfatron

1 hour ago, Nazgul said:

I've watched them all. Season 1 is a lot slower as it doesn't have any of the quirks of the current Big Brother. I recommend starting at season 2 (unless you must watch them all). And it is also highly thought that Season 9 was... lackluster. And that's mostly because of the Writer's Strike that year that basically halted all scripted TV shows - forcing networks to go to unscripted shows without writers (reality TV). So, it was a rushed season without a great cast, etc. With that said - there have been a lot of great seasons with very memorable houseguests.

@JTagg7754 I will agree with this. No real reason to watch big brother 1; hell, I don't think CBS likes to even acknowledge its existence at this point. Its essentially a completely different show (even evictions were handled differently). Season 9 was pretty dreadful, and the entire cast was pretty miserable and unlikable. If you have to watch them all, go ahead and watch it, but if not, definitely a skip. 

Season 2 introduces Chilltown and there are a couple of notable incidents. Season 3 features one of the best players ever, a final decision that actually altered how BB allowed contestants to view the show, and one of the most hilarious and dumbest moments in BB history. Season 3 is actually one of the strongest BB seasons in my opinion. 

Seasons 4/5 were largely meh to me. Some notable things do happen, and there are some good "characters", but I think ultimate season 5 is killed by very uninteresting people staying in the longest and season 4 depends on how you feel about people being jerks. 

Season 6 is fun. It had a good cast, including Janelle, and probably the most notable , true alliance vs alliance battles. In my opinion, one of the strongest seasons there has been from a cast hostility and drama standpoint. Season 7 is an all star season (all returning guests), and I actually love the hell out of it because I mostly view it as fun and harmless. Season 8 will largely depend on how you feel about ED, though I did think that his shadow unfairly blankets Eric, who I thought was largely charming and played the game very well. Seasons 10 and 14 are most notable for one player, in my opinion, who no doubt is one of the best players ever at BB, and certainly one of the most savage (particularly in the latter season). Season 10 also includes the greatest birthday celebration in recorded BB history lol. 

Honestly, once you hit the double digits, the show is largely hit and miss. With even more exposure, a couple of the casts came off very, very, very poorly, and that can temper some of your fun if you want the chaos of the show and relationships but by and large still want them to be people you can look at in the eyes (season 15 particularly). However, I will admit that there is some entertainment value in 15 if you like watching how bad of a hot mess a cast can be.   11 is solid, with some pretty memorable moments and a cast that contains both very likable people and deplorable ones. 12 is extremely meh. Nothing wrong with it, but man, it felt somewhat boring and predictable. There are a couple of notable people in it from an entertainment perspective that salvage it a little bit. Watch BB16 if you want to see one of the most dominant players in BB history. And there are some other decent characters in there as well, but what I will remember about this season is the gameplay dominance. 

17 was solid, with the best player also being a complete headcase, which is fun. Johnny Mac you'll either love or be so annoyed by you can't watch the show. Unfortunately a large group of forgettable players included in the mix as well. 18 and 19 were a mixed bag. 18 was largely okay, 19 was probably below average at best. 

Thanks for the insight, gents. I watched the end of last season and majority of episodes but that's really about it. Heard from here and Reddit that Season 9 isn't discussed and good to know about season 1. If we take that adventure, I'm sure I'll be discussing it lol.

Tiering them up, imo:

Tier 1: 6,7,8,10
Tier 2: 2,14,16,17
Tier 3: 3,4,12
Tier 4: 5,11,18,19
Tier 5: 1,9,13,15

Tier 1 are the best seasons. Tier 2 are great and can have arguments made to move them up or down a tier... these ones have maybe one thing in each season that is significant enough for me to keep them out of tier 1. Tier 3 are solid, mostly good seasons that might not necessarily have something significant bringing them down, but do have elements that keep them from being in a higher tier for me. Tier 4 are solid seasons with some significant issues for me. I think each of them you could make an argument to raise them a tier though depending on how you look at them. Tier 5 are the seasons that are absolute trash to me. BB1 is basically a completely different game and is pretty dated at this point so I group it in with that bottom tier.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:31 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Brett's speech was straight fire

It won't do him any favors moving forward though. 

Openly mocking someone is always a bad move - especially when he should be hanging low being on the block and all.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Tier 4: 5,11,18,19

Good write-up, and I agree with most of it. 

I know you said Tier 4 could be moved around - and I agree. Especially 18. I think Paul is one of the more entertaining houseguests (not a unanimous thought, however) in quite a while. And he was sort of the underdog in season 18. So seeing him bounce back from the beginning of the game was pretty impressive. With that said, Season 19 (despite having Paul as well) was filled with a bunch of Beta personalities which made a lot of the season unbearable with no one wanting to do anything. A frustrating watch.

52 minutes ago, Nazgul said:

Good write-up, and I agree with most of it. 

I know you said Tier 4 could be moved around - and I agree. Especially 18. I think Paul is one of the more entertaining houseguests (not a unanimous thought, however) in quite a while. And he was sort of the underdog in season 18. So seeing him bounce back from the beginning of the game was pretty impressive. With that said, Season 19 (despite having Paul as well) was filled with a bunch of Beta personalities which made a lot of the season unbearable with no one wanting to do anything. A frustrating watch.

Yeah, S18 was weird for me. I love Nicole and it had some good houseguests I like, but there was a lot of toxicity that hurt the season a lot for me. 

7 hours ago, Livewire said:

Why would Sam want to win that HOH knowing someone can come back? It's just a big waste of a HOH. Now she can't play next week and could be targeted because her nomination speech was so personal.

Yeah, she's really screwed up the past two weeks not saving Winston and w/ that speech. The former being minimal compared to the latter.

Eh, she'll piss people off, but at the end of the day I still think people will go after bigger targets from either side next week.  She still has time to smooth things over.  Should have used her power when she could have controlled it though, I still think that was a bigger mistake than her nomination speech.  Would have cemented Winston and Brett as allies, and her HoH wouldn't be possibly meaningless beyond that she wouldn't go home no matter what. 

On 7/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, Nazgul said:

It won't do him any favors moving forward though. 

Openly mocking someone is always a bad move - especially when he should be hanging low being on the block and all.

He knew he was staying, and the people he threw out there werent switching their votes anyway. And actually the speech worked perfectly. He needed to throw the scent off of the votes to keep him (especially Tyler and JC) and it worked perfectly. He took the two most unstable people in the house and threw their names into the fire. And as much as Rockstar is pissed at him, she was coming after him regardless

The fact that he remained so calm through the whole thing, and continued to blame Rockstar has most people in the house (not in the know) thinking that she really did flip on that vote (and even some dummies who are in the know). Creating that massive distraction has created a new house target, kept his allies safe, and made him look like the sane one in the house while washing away much of his Bro image. All in all, a pretty good, and extremey entertaining move this early.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:10 PM, Nazgul said:

This vote is the first adversity Tyler has had this season.

I think this is a pretty easy vote for Tyler, especially since he knows the one going out is likely coming back in the house. He lets everyone else vote out Kaitlyn and is one of the few votes to keep her, making her even more loyal to her.

Archived