Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

This has to be one of the best case scenarios for the Lakers, right?  The chances that Kawhi re-signs with the Raptors has to be close to zero, Drake recruitment pitches and all.  Lakers are much more likely to get him for nothing next year than if he had gone to Philly, Boston, or LAC.

Pretty much.  There's probably like a 5% chance of the Raptors actually retaining him.  I mean, whose going to appeal to Kawhi like Russell Westbrook could for Paul George?  He's not going to win anything, and his brand isn't going to get much bigger.

24 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The western conference just keeps getting tougher. The 7th seeded spurs just flipped Danny Green for Demar Derozan. All 8 playoff teams plus Denver and LA are going to be fighting it out. Two of them will miss out on the playoffs. Crazy. Meanwhile the Raptors might have just made themselves able to compete with the Celtics and 76ers if Leonard can be back to his old self, and can thrive without Pop's system. He is taking a risk if he doesnt agree to an extension asap with the Raptors. Take the money Leonard, dont Cousins yourself! 

Don't worry, he'll take the money next year from the Lakers.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's pretty silly for Toronto to make this move.

They traded away DeRozan for Leonard who is almost assuredly leaving after this season for nothing. Everyone knows that the Warriors are going to win the title this year, so your one year out of Leonard is the biggest throwaway season in recent memory for 29 teams. You could have kept DeRozan (realized you were going to need to rebuild in early 2020) and traded him at the appropriate time to start your rebuild off on a good footing, but no the Raptors mortgaged their future in one of the WORST years to do so. 

Everyone was off the books in 2020 and a rebuild was inevitable anyways. Still kept 4/5 of their young core. If Kawhi resigns we recalibrate if not sign Giannis. All good. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

I like Poeltl. I think he'll do well in SA. With Kawhi being a FA, I didn't see any chance of SA getting DD and OG.

Poeltl is okay, that's it. Toronto shouldn't be worried about losing him. It is what it is.

So yeah, basically got Kawhi for Derozan and a low 1st rounder. Wow. Masai Ujiri for executive of the year!!!!

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2. Lakers fans have been so cocky in thinking Kawhi was coming there and no team was going to offer the Spurs anything substantial. Kept with a false premise that the Spurs are asking for the entire farm....when they essentially traded him for just Derozan....for two years lmao.

3. Because the Lakers were being so bummy in negotiations not wanting to bring Ingram to the table, it could lead to them missing out on Kawhi for good. He could either re-sign with Toronto or just go to the Clippers next year.

First off, Brandon Ingram is exponentially more valuable than DeMar DeRozan.  He's making literally peanuts compared to DD.  And I'd think most Lakers fan felt that this was another situation in which a team had little to no interest to dealing their star player to the Lakers.  I guess we will wait and see then.

The most exciting part for me is what Popovich can get out of DeRozan.

Wouldn't be all that surprised if DD had a better career from here on out than Kawhi, though I think Kawhi will have a monster season next year in the remains of the Eastern Conference playing for a new contract.

2 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Everyone was off the books in 2020 and a rebuild was inevitable anyways. Still kept 4/5 of their young core. If Kawhi resigns we recalibrate if not sign Giannis. All good. 

1. Leonard isn't resigning.
2. What makes you think Giannis wants to come to Toronto? You treat is as a given and it's anything but.

Raptors are going to be a bottom of the barrel team in 2020 and beyond.

Just now, CWood21 said:

First off, Brandon Ingram is exponentially more valuable than DeMar DeRozan.  He's making literally peanuts compared to DD.  And I'd think most Lakers fan felt that this was another situation in which a team had little to no interest to dealing their star player to the Lakers.  I guess we will wait and see then.

BUT YOU GUYS DIDN'T OFFER INGRAM, THAT'S THE POINT. No one is saying he isn't more valuable, just this BS notion that the Spurs were only going to settle for Ingram/Kuzma/Hart/2 1st rounders. That was BS from the start. They could demand all they want, but really all they were looking for was Ingram. And then I'm sure they would have even settled for Kuzma/Hart/picks, but the Lakers even took him off the board lmao. Lakers slow played the crap out of this thinking eventually SA will come back to the table and you would be able to get Kawhi for 25 cents on a dollar. Except they settled for two years of Derozan instead. God speed.......

Just now, CWood21 said:

Might as well have thrown in LeBron James and Lonzo Ball while we're at it to?  Amirite?

Wouldn’t have hurt. 

Not sure if it came through over the internet the way I meant it but I do very much agree the price the Lakers needed to pay was a lot higher than what any other team would have to pay so had you offered something so outrageous it would have forced SA to trade him. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Poeltl is okay, that's it. Toronto shouldn't be worried about losing him. It is what it is.

So yeah, basically got Kawhi for Derozan and a low 1st rounder. Wow. Masai Ujiri for executive of the year!!!!

Poeltl is a good interior defender who should thrive under a guy like Pop. The Spurs made the best of a bad situation. I like what they did here.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much.  There's probably like a 5% chance of the Raptors actually retaining him.  I mean, whose going to appeal to Kawhi like Russell Westbrook could for Paul George?  He's not going to win anything, and his brand isn't going to get much bigger.

He can become King Of The North. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How do I know they weren't? Did you guys ever put Kawhi on the table? Yes or no? And then you take Kuzma off the table. So what were you offering? Hart and some picks? Yeah, Lakers tried to play hard ball when they could have gotten Kawhi easily if they just offered up Ingram.

Are you still convinced the Spurs were really wanting the entire house for Kawhi? Did they get anything close to Ingram/Kuzma/Hart/2 1st rounders/2 1st round swaps? Um no. They were just posturing just as the Lakers were by not offering any of their top assets. It was setting up for them to both "budge" and settle for a package around Ingram.

Like I said, I just love everything about this deal. 

Because everything we've heard up through this point was that the Spurs were asking for Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, two FRPs and the option to swap two more FRPs.  That's a FAR cry from what the Spurs actually asked for.  There were mixed reports about whether or not they wanted Josh Hart included, but for the sake of simplicity we will ignore him for the time being.  That's not a realistic trade package for a guy who hasn't really played in a year, and has already expressed his desire to leave San Antonio.

And yes, I'm convinced the Spurs needed the entire house if they were dealing Kawhi to the Lakers.  Pop isn't losing face by caving into his superstar's demands, and dealing him where he wanted to go unless he could come away with a haul that made it look like he won.  And based on the rumors we've heard, it didn't progress very far because the Spurs held up their high demands.  We heard multiple reports that was the case.  You choose to pick and choose the narrative, but the reality is we had multiple reporters say that the Spurs wanted a haul for Kawhi.  I don't think there's any way that the Spurs would consider a Kuzma-based package a haul, and it was a non-starter for the Lakers to include Luol Deng for the Spurs.

Archived