CB Darrelle Revis announces retirement

TheKillerNacho

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

One of the best CBs to play the game for a short time; wish him well in retirement.

An 11 year career is impressive in the NFL, even if the wheels did fall off the wagon towards the end.

But with 7 Pro Bowl bids to go along with 4 first team All-Pro selections, along with a Super Bowl ring, you have to think that there's a chance that someday he makes it into the Hall of Fame. Then if you factor in on-field performance, how quarterbacks would avoid testing him during his prime and his reputation in the media for being a shut down cornerback, you can start to see why a strong case can be made for him.

39 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Where does he stack up with the other CBs awaiting induction?

I think he leapfrogs Eric Allen. Woodson will get in before Revis is even eligible. Louis Wright has been completely forgotten about, so Revis will leapfrog him. He should also leapfrog Everson Walls. I think Ronde Barber might get in within the next five years. He should.

Best player to ever wear the Jets uniform (well I mean and actually play for more than 1 season). The most underrated aspect of Revis will always be to me that he never really had great help alongside him to ever make his job easier. Cromartie was briefly excellent with the Jets

14 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I think he leapfrogs Eric Allen. Woodson will get in before Revis is even eligible. Louis Wright has been completely forgotten about, so Revis will leapfrog him. He should also leapfrog Everson Walls. I think Ronde Barber might get in within the next five years. He should.

None of them are going in next year. Next year is reserved for Champ Bailey.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

None of them are going in next year. Next year is reserved for Champ Bailey.

But there are five years between now and the time Revis will eligible. Bailey will be in, but some of the other guys might still be on the docket when it's Revis' turn.

10,000 words on Revis' contract history from OverTheCap

https://overthecap.com/looking-back-at-the-contracts-and-impact-of-darrelle-revis

“All told Revis’ playing career earned him close to $125 million in salary. That is probably $20M or so more than most others in his position would have earned. His agents deserve a great deal of credit for constantly forcing the issue even if it would not have worked for other players. We probably won’t see another player with this kind of ability to force the issue and earn the big money, but there are still things that can be learned from looking at his career and his willingness to risk some of the contract norms to keep his eye on the fact that cash is king in the NFL and players should do what they can to maximize that whenever they can”

On 7/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, PapaShogun said:

I think he leapfrogs Allen too, which says more about how good Revis was at his peak than anything else.  I ranked Allen #6 on my top 50 list of underrated players I wrote on the old FF (you can find the link in my sig).  I have no idea how he hasn't made it into the HOF yet.  He has everything in terms of production, both peak wise and longevity wise.  I think it has something to do with the fact that he wasn't on fantastic teams with the exceptions of the 91 Eagles (even though they missed the playoffs, they had one of the best defenses in NFL history) and the 2000 Raiders (made it to the AFC Championship Game and he had 6 INTs that year with 3 for TDs at age 35)

8 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I think he leapfrogs Allen too, which says more about how good Revis was at his peak than anything else.  I ranked Allen #6 on my top 50 list of underrated players I wrote on the old FF (you can find the link in my sig).  I have no idea how he hasn't made it into the HOF yet.  He has everything in terms of production, both peak wise and longevity wise.  I think it has something to do with the fact that he wasn't on fantastic teams with the exceptions of the 91 Eagles (even though they missed the playoffs, they had one of the best defenses in NFL history) and the 2000 Raiders (made it to the AFC Championship Game and he had 6 INTs that year with 3 for TDs at age 35)

Playing for the Saints in the 90's will make you vanish.

Archived