The official training camp thread

MWil23

The streak is still alive as far as I'm concerned. A tipped pass is not an interception (unless the defender had it go off his hands and tipped it instead of making an easy catch) other than in the box score. That's like equating a quarterback fumbling the ball to a botched snap that he can't recover but touches before the defender gets it. While a tipped pass is not good by any means, it's not the same as throwing a pick. Game on.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

The streak is still alive as far as I'm concerned. A tipped pass is not an interception (unless the defender had it go off his hands and tipped it instead of making an easy catch) other than in the box score. That's like equating a quarterback fumbling the ball to a botched snap that he can't recover but touches before the defender gets it. While a tipped pass is not good by any means, it's not the same as throwing a pick. Game on.

I miss rational tayne.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I miss rational tayne.

Scout's honor (well, I may be willing to deviate from my true belief there a little in order to harass @Mind Character), but if Darnold didn't throw any picks all off-season except for a tipped pass, I'd consider that streak alive in my eyes. And yes, this is definitely a discussion of semantics; I just don't put much weight into an interception from a tipped pass.

I'll double down on asking, yes this is meant rhetorically, what if a receiver had the ball hit his hands but has it pop up and then into the hands of a defender? The stat sheet would say interception, of course, but is it the same as the one Lamar threw last night to the other team?

22 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'll double down on asking, yes this is meant rhetorically, what if a receiver had the ball hit his hands but has it pop up and then into the hands of a defender? The stat sheet would say interception, of course, but is it the same as the one Lamar threw last night to the other team?

Yeah there is certainly no fault on the QB in that instance. A tipped pass may have been from an lineman being lazy of getting beat but in the end I put the blame on the QB. You are right that it isn't a bad pass that was off target or the QB didn't see a defender so it doesn't hold the same weight as a regular pick in terms of throwing ability but it usually is still a bad play by the QB by missing his throwing lane or whatever.

Nothing to worry about, Mayfield has still been a beast by all accounts and his weakness has been what I figured it would be in being too safe with the football and holding on to it too long at times (Tyrod's biggest weakness also) but it beats the alternative of Kizering a game away.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

but it beats the alternative of Kizering a game away.

I’m still going to have to defend Kizer, he was put in terrible positions as an inexperienced rookie.

Perhaps if Hue would have built his schemes around a decent OL and running game and not a rookie QB and craptastic WR’s running DEEP routes he’d have looked more efficient.

Hue failed that kid. 

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m still going to have to defend Kizer, he was put in terrible positions as an inexperienced rookie.

Perhaps if Hue would have built his schemes around a decent OL and running game and not a rookie QB and craptastic WR’s running DEEP routes he’d have looked more efficient.

Hue failed that kid. 

Yeah but as a QB you know you have to take care of the ball, especially in the red zone and by the time you reach the NFL it hopefully has took and you don't spaz and give the ball away. He can improve and has the ability to be a good QB and he shouldn't have started last year but my point stands, Mayfield shouldn't and I think wouldn't make those same mistakes as a rookie starting. He is pretty much the opposite, he will throw the ball downfield without fear but he often doesn't throw up the 50/50 (or worse) balls so turnovers probably won't ever be a serious problem for him.

Hue benching him for not making those throws is another story lol

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I quite concur, sir. If the ball is tipped from one defender's hands to another's, that's an INT. But if it tips off an offensive players hands to a defender's, no dice. 

In this case, I'm not aware of the particular circumstances of this INT to make a judgement call either way. Regardless, one pick in 8 days of camp and a scrimmage, without being a check down machine... Wow! That's special!

Archived