The official training camp thread

MWil23

32 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Zeilter is out and Durango is in. I’d sooner have Coleman or Robinson or just about anyone there ahead of him.

Robinson interests me at guard. Man was a runblocking monster at Auburn. Coleman I think is too linearly built to be a guard. His biggest issue, as I see it, is his struggles to keep his feet moving, and keep his feet under his base; the same struggles I noticed with Isaiah Prince, the RT for the Ohio State.

When a passrusher makes rapid changes of direction, Shon's upper body will adjust to the change, but not the rest of him, leaving his feet going the other way. This leads to lunging, reaching, the grabbing of cloth, holding, loss of balance, and generally looking like a turnstile. That's why coaches preach about coordinating your hands with your feet, to keep your base under you.

This is why the Steelers couldn't make a go of it with Mike Adams, also from Ohio State. Looked the part, just like Shon, but was a turnstile.

Watched a little video shot at training camp of one-on-one's o-line vs d-line. Zaycoven Henderson looks like he shed a few lbs from college and appears quicker and more explosive. Looked good. I'll be interested watching him in preseason games. Large hill to climb making the roster, but a good candidate for practice squad. 

Also interested to see Christian Dilauro on the o-line. Another strong practice squad candidate.

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Random question but why do the Browns never get the HOF game? I mean I know they never get any primetime games because their record but it just blows my mind every year that they go select nearly every other team in the NFL to participate in the HOF preseason game other than the Browns. 

Considering its the hometown team/closest yada yada its always weird how the Browns never play in it that I remember

The committee usually picks the teams for the hall of fame game that correlates with players being inducted into the hall of fame. 

This year we have Urlacher and Lewis, so that’s why we had the Bears and Ravens play. They do that so it brings more people out to the HoF ceremony and for the game itself. They are just capitalizing on fandom. You know a lot of ppl would come and support one of their favorite players and their favorite teams. 

I’ll bet every dollar to my name that the year Joe Thomas goes in the Browns will be one of the teams. 

Go back and look who was entering and look at the teams that were playing in the game. The teams are connected to the players. The only way they won’t is if they are scheduled to face each other in the regular season, so only one team will be connected to a player

7 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I'm REALLY hoping Desmond Harrison takes the spot and becomes a franchise LT. That would seriously set this team up for success for the next decade. Browns might be the dynasty of the 2020's. 

Agree 1000%.

The guy I want in Round 1 of next year's draft is CB DeAndre Baker from Georgia. He returned to school armed with the reputation of best shut down corner in the SEC. (NFL minor leagues). He most certainly will not be available by the time we are on the clock again in Round 2.

While I feel that while getting a shut down corner is valuable, not having a solid left tackle is a much greater sin - even to the point of being unforgivable. If the answer at LT does not reveal itself this season, we absolutely must dedicate our first round choice to a premier blind side protector.

Never heard of or have seen this guy's channel coverage on football, but he had some good coverage and even better video of a few days of 11 on 11 stuff.

The limited video showed me just how stout and versatile Chris Smith (#50) is... his strength and speed inside is devastating..His impact may have been undervalued in my mind.

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Zeilter is out and Durango is in. I’d sooner have Coleman or Robinson or just about anyone there ahead of him.

Eh, Drango should be okay at guard. He was just totally out of place at LT.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m still going with my prediction of Kindred being the starting SS and Peppers playing LB in the future. It’s going to be interesting.

Especially when you recall that what has crushed the Browns in recent years are athletic TEs. Positioning a defender with Jabrill's physicality and coverage skills that much closer to the LOS - aka not allowing a free release for the TE - has to be considered a good thing for the Browns.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m still going with my prediction of Kindred being the starting SS and Peppers playing LB in the future. It’s going to be interesting.

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Especially when you recall that what has crushed the Browns in recent years are athletic TEs. Positioning a defender with Jabrill's physicality and coverage skills that much closer to the LOS - aka not allowing a free release for the TE - has to be considered a good thing for the Browns.

All of this could be done with a “big nickel” package as well, something most of the board expected a lot of last season. It only makes sense, right?

Of course we then proceeded to see none of it...

54 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Eh, Drango should be okay at guard. He was just totally out of place at LT.

I don’t I would say with each passing game last year he got better and better at LT. He might be solid swing back up to have. 

Archived