Everything Pokemon Thread!

The art style does look similar sword and shield is more detailed and more realistic looking inm terms of detail but is similar in art style and what do you expect when its a remake from an old 3DS game? Its a remastered game for a reason and I dont know what expectations you have when remastered games come out.

29 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I guess I wasnt expecting anything like sword and shield when I heard about the remake in terms of detail and character models and what not I was expecting the characters to look like they did in the 3ds game.

Well, it was a DS game, not 3DS, but that doesn't make much of a difference.

I was expecting something similar to Let's Go Pika/Eevee in terms of graphics. That would certainly be more appropriate for a full priced remake. What they chose was to keep the same DS style, but updated the graphics to look like... I don't know what to call it. A lot of people like it, a lot don't. I am in the latter. It was I'm sure a lot of work, I just don't understand why they chose to do that for the Switch hardware. 

But to make it clear, expectations I have for a remastered game... let's just take a look at what Mass Effect just did. They have remastered all 3 games with 4k graphics and included all DLC across every game.

What about the recent Mario Anniversary game? It included Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Galaxy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

The art style does look similar sword and shield is more detailed and more realistic looking inm terms of detail but is similar in art style and what do you expect when its a remake from an old 3DS game? Its a remastered game for a reason and I dont know what expectations you have when remastered games come out.

Yeah I feel pokemon fans are picky lol. There was massive outrage over not all pokemon being in Sword and Shield, never understood the big deal… still plenty to choose from. 

As for graphics… it’s a pokemon standard handheld rpg. If it looked like gameboy color I wouldn’t care. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah I feel pokemon fans are picky lol. There was massive outrage over not all pokemon being in Sword and Shield, never understood the big deal… still plenty to choose from. 

As for graphics… it’s a pokemon standard handheld rpg. If it looked like gameboy color I wouldn’t care. 

Pokemon fans have a reason to be picky. The series strips content every release, and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be upset paying full console price for a remake of a handheld game without any significant overhauls.

I don't have an issue with not every Pokemon being available in the games now, there are like 1200 of them. 

Biggest issue imo is the fanbase that has played Pokemon for 20 years are now old and hate seeing Pokemon being marketed to young people, with bland and hand-held stories, which of course makes sense, but sucks for OG fans. Myself included. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

Pokemon fans have a reason to be picky. The series strips content every release, and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be upset paying full console price for a remake of a handheld game without any significant overhauls.

I don't have an issue with not every Pokemon being available in the games now, there are like 1200 of them. 

Biggest issue imo is the fanbase that has played Pokemon for 20 years are now old and hate seeing Pokemon being marketed to young people, with bland and hand-held stories, which of course makes sense, but sucks for OG fans. Myself included. 

Yeah I wish I could skip the story or turn it off. I just wanna catch pokemon, level them, and battle gyms and eventually tournaments after badges are all collected. I only played Shield for about a week cause it took wayyyyyy too many clicks to skip the story. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah I wish I could skip the story or turn it off. I just wanna catch pokemon, level them, and battle gyms and eventually tournaments after badges are all collected. I only played Shield for about a week cause it took wayyyyyy too many clicks to skip the story. 

The last two games are just by far the worst two for me. Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield. 

I am really intrigued by the Legends Arceus game coming out - that is what I think everyone has envisioned Pokemon on console to be like. I hope the new Switch is out by then too 

I just want remakes of the old red and blue, gold and silver, ruby and sapphire, Itd be rad if they made it like the sword and shield style but I wouldnt care. to me theyre getting lazy with the creation of new pokemon, looking at all the new mons in sword and shield it just seemed rushed/ no imagination, it seemed like every other new pokemon was an sphere looking thing with eyes and a mouth.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

For good reason.  The decision to randomly keep certain Pokemon out of the game was a poor decision. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JBURGE said:

The last two games are just by far the worst two for me. Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield. 

I am really intrigued by the Legends Arceus game coming out - that is what I think everyone has envisioned Pokemon on console to be like. I hope the new Switch is out by then too 

SwSh isn't that bad.  There really wasn't anything good to come out of SM other than a few 'mons.  Regional variants was a cool added dimension.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Gen 6 was a travesty in all senses, though I liked the addition of Mega Evolutions for competitive battles. Pokemon went downhill after BW2

Gen 6 wasn't bad at all.  ORAS was a better version of RSE, so there's that.  I liked XY probably a bit more than most people did.  Solid all-around game if nothing spectacular.  Gen 1 wins because of nostalgia.  Gen 2 wins because of the length of the game (two regions).  Gen 3 was probably overall the best series of games as a whole.  Gen 4 was above-average.  Gen 5 had the best plot line by far.  Gen 6 was okay, nothing special but very solid.  Gen 7 was an abomination.  And Gen 8 is solid as well.  For me, the tiering is pretty.

(Tier 1)
Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 3

(Tier 2)
Gen 5

(Tier 3)
Gen 4
Gen 6
Gen 8

(Tier Infinity)
Gen 7

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Gen 6 wasn't bad at all.  ORAS was a better version of RSE, so there's that.  I liked XY probably a bit more than most people did.  Solid all-around game if nothing spectacular.  Gen 1 wins because of nostalgia.  Gen 2 wins because of the length of the game (two regions).  Gen 3 was probably overall the best series of games as a whole.  Gen 4 was above-average.  Gen 5 had the best plot line by far.  Gen 6 was okay, nothing special but very solid.  Gen 7 was an abomination.  And Gen 8 is solid as well.  For me, the tiering is pretty.

(Tier 1)
Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 3

(Tier 2)
Gen 5

(Tier 3)
Gen 4
Gen 6
Gen 8

(Tier Infinity)
Gen 7

There was no redeeming qualities about Gen 6. 

Characters were bad, story was bad, gameplay was so easy it felt like a chore to finish. They gifted you every OP thing under the sun. I can't remember the names of any of the gym leaders or Elite 4. Team Flare was the most boring antagonist group to date. That said, Gen 8 was pretty much as bad because you didn't even KNOW who the antagonist was the entire game, there was just no conflict. At least the gym leaders were more charismatic and would show up at other moments.

Gens 6,7, and 8 were all just bad for a variety of reasons. The only things I've liked about them are Mega Forms, and Regional Forms. And minor tweaks to the mechanics. e.g. Weather not being permanent.

Gen 4
Gen 5
Gen 2
Gen 1

Gen 3

Gen 7
Gen 8

Gen 6

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

There was no redeeming qualities about Gen 6. 

The addition of Fairy types was HUGE in terms of balancing the metagame.  Prior to that, Dragon and Dark were largely hard to deal with.  Plus, that alone made several Pokemon that were largely unviable prior to their type change to become viable including Clefable, Togekiss, etc.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The addition of Fairy types was HUGE in terms of balancing the metagame.  Prior to that, Dragon and Dark were largely hard to deal with.  Plus, that alone made several Pokemon that were largely unviable prior to their type change to become viable including Clefable, Togekiss, etc.

The pacing of that game was so bad though. The huge gap between gyms where really nothing happened and then like three in a row with just a little route in between them.