Teams that are overhyped/underhyped

Jimmy Austin

9 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Sanu is one of the better #2 WR's in the league, Ridley was graded as the #1 WR in the draft (and I qualified that statement with a "possibly"), Alford makes plays all over the field (see pick-6 vs TB12 in SB for example) and his only issue is getting too handsy at times, Neal is a young Cam Chancellor, and Allen might be a bit of a stretch as a "star" but he is more than solid at S and continually makes change-of-momentum plays.

Don't be salty just because the Falcons have absolutely OWNED your Packers for the last two seasons.  What was the result of their game a year ago again?

Bro you got bigger problems if you think I was personally attacking you. I take bigger offense with the fact that you view a high end #2 WR as a STAR. 

But since we there, what yall got to show for owning us? xD

4 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

Correct injuries are part of the game and the losing teams of 2016 (Rams) did not have the target on their back like Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle etc did in '17 and also stayed healthy.   Even if the Texans, Cardinals etc were at full strength, the Rams maybe could've sniffed 10 wins.  They did a great job performing but '18 won't be a cakewalk.  The target on their back will be much bigger and injuries change hands. 

Lol. Just lol.

26 minutes ago, Stafford4Pres said:

The Rams have a very good roster. They were the number 1 in scoring offense and 5th in turnovers generated on defense last year. They have added a plethora of big-name players this offseason. All of these things are why the  public is so high on the Rams They are expected to win at least 10 games this year (based on their win total projections). If I were a betting man I would feel confident in taking the under on that.

Please do. Please bet on the under. Waste your money.

27 minutes ago, Stafford4Pres said:

It's going to be close, like I said, but I wouldn't feel confident putting my money into the Rams going over 10 wins this year. That is asking an awful lot from Jared Goff and a second year head coach who had quite a lot of success in his first season.

It's actually asking less of both than what they accomplished last year. But it's pretty clear you think it was a fluke. I'll just sit back and enjoy another year of Goff and McVay serving up plenty of crow.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Please do. Please bet on the under. Waste your money.

No need to wish that on someone

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's actually asking less of both than what they accomplished last year. But it's pretty clear you think it was a fluke. I'll just sit back and enjoy another year of Goff and McVay serving up plenty of crow.

I think that they had a good year last year but the playoff game showed that they were an above average team rather than a really good one. This year will tell a lot, if Goff is the real deal, if McVay can continue his success, if their free-agents were worth the plunge. There's a lot of things the Rams did that we won't know the impact of until the season is over. I don't wish failure on them, I simply believe in a win total under 10 wins. 

10 hours ago, megatechpc said:

You could be right about the Lions.  I ranked Stafford as the #9 best QB in the NFL in my recent QB rankings and I think he is generally very underrated as a player.  I just don't know about all the other pieces of that team that AREN'T Stafford, like Patricia (no idea how he'll do as a HC), Blount (he should be an upgrade at RB, but I don't know if he will necessarily be a game-changer for them at the position), the receivers (Tate's a great possession guy but doesn't really stretch the field, their TE's are average at best and their RB's won't be big threats in the passing game), the defense is still pretty suspect overall (not bad, but not great either), and like the Browns they simply struggle with that "losing-team" jinx seemingly every year.  But you made some good points and perhaps this is the year they really put it all together.  And they did finish with 9 wins last season.

The Colts will go as Luck goes this season, so hype doesn't really matter.  If he is back to pre-injury form they will be a 10-win team and challenge for the South title; if he is still not 100% physically, or he is hesitant and constantly worrying about cutting it loose then they could be in for a long season.  I get the feeling that Indy moreso than any other team this year will be totally at the mercy of psychology and that is impossible to predict until we see real games (though for what its worth, he has showed troubling signs in preseason).

The Falcons will go as far as Sark's schemes take them this year, plain and simple.  Defensively they will be top-10 (possibly top-5) so I have no worries at all on that side of the ball, but if they can't get guys open downfield like they did in 2016 they will probably perform about the same as last year; good but not great.  Matt Ryan suffered through an inordinate amount of horrible luck last year with drop-INT's and you have to figure that won't happen again, and Sark can't really be any worse than he was last year so having a full season under his belt should make him at least a little better, but I still don't expect anything like Kyle's system's success this season.  

The Dolphins are going to be absolutely awful, I'm sticking by that one.

Russell Wilson will win a few games this year single-handedly because he is just great, but I still think the Seahawks are easily the worst team in the West this year (yes, even worse than the Cardinals and 49ers) and I could see them having a losing record for the first time in Russ' career.

The Saints are a great team this year if (and its a big if) all of the rookie sensations from last year play at the same level they did a year ago.  I personally think Kamara will take a step back this year, especially having to carry the full load for the first 3 games due to Ingram's suspension, Lattimore will probably not be as dominating again just because the WR's in his division have enough experience against him now and will adjust, and Marcus Williams probably won't have as many INT's this year as he did last year.  I think Ramczyk is the real deal on the OL though, and for all I know ALL of those young players will play even better this year, so its still safe to rank the Saints in the top-5 of teams this year.

I agree with you on the Colts, Falcons, and Saints. As for your concerns about the Lions, Marvin Jones had the highest yards-per-catch of any receiver in the NFL last year at 18.0 and on top of that, Kennny Golladay (a rookie from last year) had a yards-per-catch of 17.0. I'm pretty confident in our deep threats, and Tate provides the perfect option underneath with his league-leading 22 formed missed tackles last year. I strongly disagree that we have no threats in the passing game at running back. We have Theo Riddick who is considered by many to be one of the best receiving backs in the league. They do have big question marks at tight end and on the defense, but we were able to win 9 games last year with an injured Stafford, a dead-last rushing attack, and an average defense. 

We simply disagree about the Dolphins which is fine. I can see them playing below average this year, but I also like them as a sleeper team. They have a lot of talent and I still think that Tannehill is better than people give him credit for.

The Seahawks could suffer due to the losses of their notable all-pro players but Russell Wilson is a hall of famer and having the best quarterback in a division can never be underestimated. I like the Seahawks to outperform expectations and I can see them doing that especially if their offensive line manages to not be awful again this year. 

16 minutes ago, Stafford4Pres said:

No need to wish that on someone

You said you would take the under. I am not wishing anything on you. I am encouraging you to do it. I think you're wrong. You think you're right.

17 minutes ago, Stafford4Pres said:

I think that they had a good year last year but the playoff game showed that they were an above average team rather than a really good one. This year will tell a lot, if Goff is the real deal, if McVay can continue his success, if their free-agents were worth the plunge. There's a lot of things the Rams did that we won't know the impact of until the season is over. I don't wish failure on them, I simply believe in a win total under 10 wins. 

Let's assume you're right (I think you're wrong and that it's silly to judge a team on one game), the 2018 Rams aren't the same team. Our FO spent the offseason fixing our biggest problems. But it seems to me that the heart of the matter is that you doubt Goff and McVay. Nothing I can do say will change that, but that wasn't exactly your original criticism. 

There is no reason the Rams shouldn't be even better than they were last year this year. The only reason someone could reasonably predict they will fail this year is because it seems like such a sure thing they will be great, that something has to go wrong and ruin it. 

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There is no reason the Rams shouldn't be even better than they were last year this year. The only reason someone could reasonably predict they will fail this year is because it seems like such a sure thing they will be great, that something has to go wrong and ruin it. 

Terrible injury luck is always possible. If Goff goes down, we're screwed. But yea, it seems more like people want to see us fail than have good reasons for why we will.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The Browns over/under at 5.5 is an interesting one. I feel like if Tyrod stays healthy that they win 6+ games...but I feel like Hue Jackson turns 6+ wins into 4 or less. I'm so torn.

I'm leaning on the over here tbh. 

24 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What's the consensus on Cincinnati? I think we looked pretty damn good in limited action.

10-6 looks more likely at this point than 6-10.

For all you gamblers out there - the over on 6.5 wins is free money. I think we're a playoff team in a weak conference.

Yeah, I haven't done my final predictions yet, but I am leaning on picking the Bengals as one of the WC teams. If they can protect Dalton, then they will be good in two areas that usually gets you about 8 wins of the bat (passing and a strong d-line). 

39 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What's the consensus on Cincinnati? I think we looked pretty damn good in limited action.

10-6 looks more likely at this point than 6-10.

6.5 seems about right for me. They strike me as a 7-9 team.

11 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Don't be salty just because the Falcons have absolutely OWNED your Packers for the last two seasons.  What was the result of their game a year ago again?

The Packers have some 360,000 +  registered Owners, its really not that big of a deal to crow about.  B|

What's vastly more important is that when you OWN a playoff rival, that you actually seal the deal and take home The Lombardi.
Otherwise the Victors will put 283 diamonds on their Championship Rings. You sure you wanna talk about salt ?

Archived