Teams that are overhyped/underhyped

Jimmy Austin

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, not necessarily.  We've been waiting for the last decade for them to really burst out, and they finally did it this past season.  I'm not expecting them to fall in oblivion, but I don't think they're going to run away with the division.  The 2017 season went as well as it could have possibly gone for them last season, but I don't see Arizona being as competitive this year but I see San Francisco being better.  Not sure Seattle is much more than a .500 team at this point, and it seems like their SB window has closed.

San Francisco will be better, but they're still not that talented. I don't mean that as a dig, but they're more of a middling team (which is a huge improvement on last year) than a contender.

19 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I disagree.  There are legitimate, if perhaps hypothetical, issues with the Rams including McVay and Goff.  We have two diametrically opposed seasons worth of work to look at with Goff for instance.  In 2016, let's be blunt, he looked like a guy who had absolutely no business in the NFL, forget about the #1 pick.  In 2017 he looked like a Pro-bowler and orchestrated the #1 offense in the NFL.  When you have such wild fluctuations in performances from one year to the next, its simply impossible to just assume that ONLY the 2017 Goff will show up in 2018 and not 2016 Goff (like jrr32 constantly does).  I understand that coaching played a large role in the disparity between those performances, but there were still so many times in 2016 where Goff came off as legitimately unintelligent (even forgetting about football) and I think its just a major stretch to assume that everything has been figured out now and that Goff will only have pro-bowl seasons going forward.  Speaking of the coaching, remember that last year was McVay's first in the league as HC and we simply don't have enough of a sample size to assume he is now Vince Lombardi based on one season.  There have been plenty of coaches who have popped their first year as HC only to drop off a cliff the next year and be out of a job soon thereafter.  I'm not saying he will fail this season (I actually do think he is going to be a really good HC overall), but to act as though its a given that he will have the same success this year as last year is just not based on anything concrete.  They also face a similar situation with Gurley, who going into last year was being discussed as a possible bust due to his poor play since his rookie year.  Consistency year after year is how you decide who the true "players" are and who the pretenders are.  Any player can perform out of their mind in a single season, but repeating that level of performance year in and year out is how you determine if said player is really great or not.  

I dunno, there's simply not enough data to go on for me to consider the Rams a lock as even a playoff team this season and I think they are being overrated because we all saw what they did last year and are simply denying that 2016 happened (or simply blaming everything on Jeff Fisher).  If they do repeat as West champs this year and do all the same things they did last year then yeah, you can begin to say its a trend rather than a lucky season, but I need to see them do it again before I'm totally sold.

Is Jeff Fisher returning to coach the Rams in 2018? Will Rob Boras be the OC? Are the WRs Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, and Tavon Austin? Is Greg Robinson starting at LT? No? Then, you can put 2016 Goff out of your mind. The Rams aren't guaranteed to get 2017 Goff. The reality is that young QBs are inconsistent from year to year, but Goff has already proven he can play. He's not going to suddenly forget how to play football. And trying to claim that Goff is legitimately unintelligent is laughable. He's intelligent off the field and has a high football IQ on it. It's quite easy to see if you watch him play.

You keep falling back on some silly belief that McVay and Goff are flukes. McVay and Goff may not be as dominant as they were last year, but what they did wasn't flukey. McVay is a former NFL OC who is running a system that is a hybrid of the Gruden and Shanahan WCOs (with wrinkles from other offenses sprinkled in). He's not running some gimmicky college system that the league has never seen. Goff is a pocket passer who won last year with accuracy, decision making, pocket presence, and football IQ. The Rams aren't going anywhere. There was nothing lucky about what McVay did. He's simply that good.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not 100% on Goff the same way I'm not 100% on Jimmy G or Watson at this point. But I'm 100% all in on McVay. Dude is a stud. Don't even care that it's only been a year. I feel like he's legit. 

The avengers team they've assembled is pretty terrifying. I can vouch for Talib and Peters from watching them the past few years. Good god that team is going to be disgusting.

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not 100% on Goff the same way I'm not 100% on Jimmy G or Watson at this point. But I'm 100% all in on McVay. Dude is a stud. Don't even care that it's only been a year. I feel like he's legit. 

I'm not sure how anyone can be 100% sold on QBs that young. But when I say that I'm not 100% sold, I mean that I don't know exactly where they rank. I'm 100% sold that Goff isn't a bad QB.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

San Francisco will be better, but they're still not that talented. I don't mean that as a dig, but they're more of a middling team (which is a huge improvement on last year) than a contender.

Is Jeff Fisher returning to coach the Rams in 2018? Will Rob Boras be the OC? Are the WRs Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, and Tavon Austin? Is Greg Robinson starting at LT? No? Then, you can put 2016 Goff out of your mind. The Rams aren't guaranteed to get 2017 Goff. The reality is that young QBs are inconsistent from year to year, but Goff has already proven he can play. He's not going to suddenly forget how to play football. And trying to claim that Goff is legitimately unintelligent is laughable. He's intelligent off the field and has a high football IQ on it. It's quite easy to see if you watch him play.

You keep falling back on some silly belief that McVay and Goff are flukes. McVay and Goff may not be as dominant as they were last year, but what they did wasn't flukey. McVay is a former NFL OC who is running a system that is a hybrid of the Gruden and Shanahan WCOs (with wrinkles from other offenses sprinkled in). He's not running some gimmicky college system that the league has never seen. Goff is a pocket passer who won last year with accuracy, decision making, pocket presence, and football IQ. The Rams aren't going anywhere. There was nothing lucky about what McVay did. He's simply that good.

For what its worth, I'm not saying the Rams will be bad this year or that last season was a fluke.  I was simply explaining why I think its just premature to assume they will be as good this year as last.  I've already made my picks for 2018 and I have the Rams winning the NFC West at 12-4 and getting the #3 seed.  I actually do think McVay is a brilliant coach and I saw enough growth from Goff for me to believe he will do well this season (especially with the weapons he has). 

But that's just my opinion and it certainly wouldn't shock me in any way if they fell down a bit this season and finished 8-8.  Predicting the NFL is just much different than predicting any other sport because there is so much parity in the league.  Of last year's playoff teams, only 3 made it to the playoffs the year before (Atlanta, NE, and Pittsburgh).

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

San Francisco winning 10 or 11 games minimum iyam.........Top 5-7 offense and top 12 defense. Shanny COTY, Jimmy G MVP...Buckner DPOY....Pettis OROY.....Warner DROY....Sherman Comeback POY.....Lynch EOY. 

Going to sound like a homer, but I think the Jets are underhyped. They have deficiencies at key positions (namely edge rusher), but I see them winning 6-8 games this year, which is a lot more than they’re projected. The only thing this defense is missing is an edge rusher, and I get the feeling they will acquire one soon (whether it’s Mack, Fowler, Ray, etc.)

We lack star power at the skill positions but make no mistake, we’ve improved dramatically at all 3 positions. The big question on offensive side of the ball is the line, but it could go either way. If Winters returns to pre-injury form, Shell continues his yearly improvement, and Long meets his modest expectations, we’ll be in much better shape than we were last year. 

Final Record: 7-9

On 8/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, Forge said:

Honestly reminds me of when Sean Payton took over at New Orleans.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Honestly reminds me of when Sean Payton took over at New Orleans.

I have been saying the same thing. The Saints pre-Payton was average at best. The second Payton took over the Saints worst seasons were about average. They are averaging a little over 9 wins per season since Payton took over. The times the Saints were winning 7 to 9 games it was because their defense was bad those seasons. Now we see the Saints defense is finally very good the Saints are legit Superbowl contenders in a loaded NFC. Regardless though of how bad their defenses was in the past, I personally always gave them a shot each year to make the playoffs because of Brees and Payton.

So with the Rams under McVay they are going to always have a shot to make the playoffs. They have a young talented team in all three phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams) and have a great coaching staff. Like the Rams arent going anywhere. The GM Snead knows what he is doing in terms of making moves during the offseason. Just being a fan in general I am sold on Goff 100%. He has the talent and the work ethic that he continues to get better everyday. He is a leader and has what it takes mentally. Plenty of well-respected players in the NFL like Calais Campbell and Earl Thomas commented last year on how Goff has matured from Year 1 to Year 2. Like its not all McVay but with McVay, Goff is going to be on that next level and that makes the Rams as a team one of the teams in the NFL to watch out for in this next decade plus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Walter Football does this weekly top 5 overrated/underrated teams and I will be doing something similar. A few teams I think are overrated/underrated. 

Overrated:
Rams: This is a hell of team, but they are not the best team in the NFL. They beat the lowly Cardinals and Gruden coached Raiders. I would take the Pats, Jaguars, and Eagles over them in a neutral field. 

Vikings: This team looked beatable against the 49ers and needed a lot of luck to beat them. They were also very lucky to tie a Packers team where Aaron Rodgers was not a 100%

Underrated:
Browns - People still think this is a terrible team and the losing jokes are still running rampant on social media but if it was not for a Ray Finkle prodigy kicker. This team could very well be 3-0. This team has talent and a long with Baker Mayfield. I would not be surprised if this team finishes around .500.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, Jimmy Austin said:

Walter Football does this weekly top 5 overrated/underrated teams and I will be doing something similar. A few teams I think are overrated/underrated. 

Overrated:
Rams: This is a hell of team, but they are not the best team in the NFL. They beat the lowly Cardinals and Gruden coached Raiders. I would take the Pats, Jaguars, and Eagles over them in a neutral field. 

Vikings: This team looked beatable against the 49ers and needed a lot of luck to beat them. They were also very lucky to tie a Packers team where Aaron Rodgers was not a 100%

Underrated:
Browns - People still think this is a terrible team and the losing jokes are still running rampant on social media but if it was not for a Ray Finkle prodigy kicker. This team could very well be 3-0. This team has talent and a long with Baker Mayfield. I would not be surprised if this team finishes around .500.

Walter Football takes are so dumb.

He says the Rams are overrated yet he picked the Raiders to beat the Rams on MNF. The Rams ran away with the game now he calls the Raiders lowly. He said the Rams would barely beat the Cards because they will be reading the press clippings on how great they are. They stomped the Cards and he is calling them lowly. Now he is saying the Rams will lose to the Chargers because its their first real test plus the Rams will be looking ahead to the Vikings on TNF.

Like I dont buy into what he is saying because he is just trying to justify his bogus claim of the Rams being overrated. When he stop making that bogus claim on the Rams being overrated and stop justifying every game the Rams win and start making some good takes then I can take the stuff he says more seriously. 

Archived